• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Graphics on Guns

FancyGunz

NES Member
I want to put some colorful images on a pistol. Has anyone here done this, and can you share your results?

I found some DIY "vinyl wrap" options like this: https://www.gunskins.com/products/pistol-skin?variant=780034771 but I am very wary of the longevity and it will probably look awful if I do it myself.

There are some hydrodipping options like this: https://coveringinfinity.com/project/hydro-dipped-pistols/?v=32aec8db952d

and then there is custom paintwork.

Just looking to see what's out there!

Last edited:
I will admit, it looked a lot cooler than I thought it would. I still would never do it to a nice gun, as I really appreciate quality workmanship of say a Colt 1911 or a Sig, HK etc, but it would look cool on a Glock or a beater cheap 1911.
I was just thinking it would be one way to cover up an idiot scratch on a 1911 or some rough handling marks on any pistol.

I wonder how it really holds up to heavy use. Barrels get pretty hot.
And you gotta figure it ruins resale value.
I would have to have it done professionally, or it would look like a 4th graders art project.

The shop I used to own did hydrographics. We did all sorts of car parts, household stuff and gun parts. Essentially the durability greatly depends on the skill of the operator/painter and the quality of the products used. Most companies use automotive paint, but there are baked on finishes available as well. There are a lot more options with the paint/hydrographics/cerakote than there are with the vinyl kits, but the vinyl kits are much easier for end users to apply or change out if not wanted. Funny because the creator of Gun Skins was also a good customer of mine down in NC where my shop was.
My EDC is done in carbon fiber hydrographics and it has been pocket carried every day for the past 4 years and shot regularly. I own a 4x4 shop now, I am constantly leaning on it, rolling on it, getting wet/oily, etc and it is holding up great. Wearing on the contact surfaces where the holster touches, but that is it. My wifes G19 is done in a sugar skulls pattern, and is still perfect but she doesn't carry that every day.

I will admit, it looked a lot cooler than I thought it would. I still would never do it to a nice gun, as I really appreciate quality workmanship of say a Colt 1911 or a Sig, HK etc, but it would look cool on a Glock or a beater cheap 1911.

americana2.jpg

This is how you triple the value of a Hi-Point^

I was just thinking it would be one way to cover up an idiot scratch on a 1911 or some rough handling marks on any pistol.

I wonder how it really holds up to heavy use. Barrels get pretty hot.
And you gotta figure it ruins resale value.
I would have to have it done professionally, or it would look like a 4th graders art project.
Hard to cover up scratches,dings and dents.
Get a battle worn "paint" job done. Those real handling marks will vanish.
Have fun with it. Dont worry about wear if you actually use the firearm its going to get marked up or worn eventually.

I never understood this whole painting or decorating of guns thing. Outside of a rattle can job to aid fitting into the environment or season. Not saying it’s wrong, just not my style.

Even more so whenever I’d see cops with a .15 cent green clover sticker on the magazine baseplate of an 800.00 pistol for decoration.

I never understood this whole painting or decorating of guns thing. Outside of a rattle can job to aid fitting into the environment or season. Not saying it’s wrong, just not my style.

Even more so whenever I’d see cops with a .15 cent green clover sticker on the magazine baseplate of an 800.00 pistol for decoration.
Thats not decoration thats symbolic and some probably call it racist?

Eh , I get it for pretty guns that stay home but for guns you use. If your refinishing because of scratch/dings it got that way once and unless it stays in a padded box it will get dinged again at some point.

I grok it for race guns; otherwise, it's foreign for me too.

My opinion is that if you want it, then go for it.

Just consider that if you ever go to sell such a gun that you may be turning off a large portion of the potential buyers who don't like such decorations.

I'm fine with flashy finishes like nickel, and well-done engraving can be tasteful on many firearms, but I don't understand the whole modern "graphics" aspect. It's one thing if it's tactical, like the Rhodesians, but putting red tints or bronze finishes or splashy looking graphics or Punisher logos? I don't get it.

To each their own, of course. Diff'rent strokes.

This is how I did my matched Gewehr 98. You can see the area around the Lange Vizier rear sight was a bitch but I think it blends well.
View attachment 499600

lol. Was this by design or a funny coincidence? Put into Google image search to see the significance of that photo and Google suggests "gay flowers".

Untitled-1.jpg

Thats not decoration thats symbolic and some probably call it racist?
Meh maybe? I don’t know. Just always thought it was stupid. I’ve even seen some knuckleheads take metal lapel pins (a likeness of their dept patch) and break off the actual pin, and then glue the metal ‘patch’ part to their baseplate. 🤷‍♂️🤪

Anyway, just rambling as usual like a cranky old f***, don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread.

This is how I did my matched Gewehr 98. You can see the area around the Lange Vizier rear sight was a bitch but I think it blends well.
View attachment 499600
I would love to vinyl wrap a K98 and post it on gub boards as a complete refinish and camo job like that. Just to feel the twitching from the GB collective through the internet

Meh maybe? I don’t know. Just always thought it was stupid. I’ve even seen some knuckleheads take metal lapel pins (a likeness of their dept patch) and break off the actual pin, and then glue the metal ‘patch’ part to their baseplate. 🤷‍♂️🤪

Anyway, just rambling as usual like a cranky old f***, don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread.

It's hard to be a REAL NESer without hijacking a thread or two.

[slap]

Back
Top Bottom