Gransfors Bruk

If you have Prime it’s free shipping and free returns. Their price seems to be decent too. It was on the American anyway, though I didn’t pull the trigger.

Grand Forest is the U.S. distributor for G-B.
Here are the three Gransfors Bruks dealers in Massachusetts:

FJALLRAVEN BOSTON
304 NEWBURY ST, UPPER LEVEL
BOSTON MA 02115
Phone: 857-225-5683
Sells: Axes

FJALLRAVEN CAMBRIDGE
63 CHURCH ST
CAMBRIDGE MA 02138
Phone: 617-715-9977

FJALLRAVEN SEAPORT
70 SEAPORT BLVD
BOSTON MA 02210
Phone: 857-284-8237

I too have the small forest axe and it is the finest axe I have ever used....worth every penny. Everyone who has used it is amazed at how well it cuts.

The first time I used it I almost chopped my ankle when it cut thru a 1 inch pine tree limb and kept going! I was wearing leather boots that prevented a very nasty cut.

Heading to Natick today. Was thinking the longer scandanavian may do better. Need it for taking small branches off trees, putting wedges in while chainsawing, cutting kindling, and killing all the stupid vines on my trees.

Heading to Natick today. Was thinking the longer scandanavian may do better. Need it for taking small branches off trees, putting wedges in while chainsawing, cutting kindling, and killing all the stupid vines on my trees.

Be sure the back side of the axe head is designed for hammering. If not, the handle hole may start to open up a bit and deform as you strike wedges, etc....

I've got the Small Forest Axe. It's outstanding.

Just go ahead and buy it. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better made tool.
Yup. i've had one for 3 years now. It's phenomenal. Bought one for my brother for the holidays last year.
Got both via amazon.

I wouldn't bother going to any Fjallraven store looking for this unless you call first and they tell you they have them in shop. I've been to the one on Newbury Street and it's all junky fashion bullshit.

I wouldn't bother going to any Fjallraven store looking for this unless you call first and they tell you they have them in shop. I've been to the one on Newbury Street and it's all junky fashion bullshit.

Yup. First time I got a "find store near me" bring it up I thought it would be convenient to stop in. What they had was of the best quality, but it was all bespoke clothes with a few other pieces that were more for atmosphere than actual use.

Yup. First time I got a "find store near me" bring it up I thought it would be convenient to stop in. What they had was of the best quality, but it was all bespoke clothes with a few other pieces that were more for atmosphere than actual use.

I bought one of their winter coats a few years back. Within a month the tab on the zipper pull broke off. I put a split ring on it and forged ahead after being told I could leave it with them to ship back to their shop in NYC to repair for a month (in February). By the next year two teeth had broken off the zipper and both zippers had fallen off. This on an expensive jacket.

I have a waterproof shell from them that is awesome, but I now chalk the brand up as being hit or miss junk.

Back to axes - when looking at these I was going to order from Amazon only because of their generous return policy. Apparently some of the axe heads have a split on the bottom that looks crappy but probably doesn't impact function too much.

I bought one of their winter coats a few years back. Within a month the tab on the zipper pull broke off. I put a split ring on it and forged ahead after being told I could leave it with them to ship back to their shop in NYC to repair for a month (in February). By the next year two teeth had broken off the zipper and both zippers had fallen off. This on an expensive jacket.

I have a waterproof shell from them that is awesome, but I now chalk the brand up as being hit or miss junk.

Shame. Stuff all looks almost worth the price they wanted.

Be sure the back side of the axe head is designed for hammering. If not, the handle hole may start to open up a bit and deform as you strike wedges, etc....

This.

The Gransfors site is very specific about what you should expect to do with each axe.

If it’s not too late, you might want to try giving them a call.

From everything I’ve heard and read, their customer service is great and, more importantly, they’re very proud of the product they make. They want their axes to work well for the end user.

I bet if you called someone at GB and explained what you’d like the tool to do, they’d tell you which of their products will fit the bill.

" Who you callin 'Ho'...? "
0f854362a7753edf99c89c98dfbe8cc8.jpg

Picked up a Hults Bruks Kisa today. Similar to Gransfors Scandanavian. REI has a one year trial on everything you buy, so if it sucks, I can bring it in for a new one or return it. Store is right next to my work too. Going to give it a couple rub downs with boiled linseed oil and then give it a go this weekend. Got the grapple on my tractor working too, so it will be an excellent trees Sunday.

What you are looking for is a hardened poll.

Back
Top Bottom