• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grandson going to Afganistan!

My grandson was over Sunday.
He is in the ARMY Reserve.
It looks like he will be depoying to Afganistan maybe in Oct.
Does anyone know what the deal is with buying him a Semi-auto to have over there??
He has talked to his Officers and the said he can carry one if he buys it himself, but it has to be a 9mm and they will supply the ammo.
He is in Communications, so I figure the rifle will not be as handy as the radio will be. I want him to have any edge he can!!!

Let me know if anyone knows how that works???

I would be AMAZED if he is actually permitted to take his personal firearm overseas!

ETA: Sorry... I just realized that I need to add my best wishes for his safe and healthy return. Tell him not to wear his pink boxers to a firefight... that's already been done!

Last edited:
I wish him the best on his deployment. Maybe he'll have the chance to purchase a sidearm from some local Afghanis if his CO approves.

Godspeed on his deployment. Thoughts and prayers for all of our men and women who are serving. Thanks for my freedom.

It sounds like the reservist officers are spreading bad word.

Get him a pistol for being a good grandson anyway.

Ken, I wish you the best.I hope your Grandson makes it home in one piece.I can only imagine how much you are worried at this time.As far as I am concerned,a million Afghannies are not worth 1 American soldier.Let's pray this madness is over soon.

prayers and all the best to him when you raise your hand and say i do you go with your eyes open to where and what uncle sam might send you its very hard to see a loved one go in harms way where ever he goes give him a big bear hug and say will be thinking of you every day send him somthing a letter to cheer him up do what ever you can to help him and who ever you know over there.

My thoughts and prayers. I'm surprised that they are or are willing to let him have his own personal weapon. Most commands will not let that happen. I'm just wondering if he'd be able to bring it back.[thinking]
It's hard sitting on the sidelines. Hubby and I have had to do it and will be doing it once again.
I can't stress enough on letters and care packages.
Best of luck.

Does anyone know what the deal is with buying him a Semi-auto to have over there??
He has talked to his Officers and the said he can carry one if he buys it himself, but it has to be a 9mm and they will supply the ammo.
He is in Communications, so I figure the rifle will not be as handy as the radio will be. I want him to have any edge he can!!!

unless some major regs have changed, his officers are greatly misinformed. it is very illegal to bring any sort of personal fire arm with you overseas.

however, do not worry. your grandson will not be stuck in Afghanistan without a weapon. in most cases he will have a rifle, or in a worse case scenario a M9 while he is stuck in commo land on base.

no way. no how. he will have all the authorized equipment issued to him; including an individual or crew-served weapon / side arm.

My grandson was over Sunday.
He is in the ARMY Reserve.
It looks like he will be depoying to Afganistan maybe in Oct.

Let me know if anyone knows how that works???

Sounds like his officers are feeding a line of BS. Its not just against regs, its illegal. Unless the weapons are provided by the government he cant carry them, period. Theres allot of guys that have gotten in allot of trouble for this over the years. It just isnt worth pushing. Best of luck to him.

Back
Top Bottom