• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Granby Precision Rifle Match #1. Registration FULL

First match of the year at Granby is April 3. Just signed up. I suspect it will fill up fast.

Ive got just a month to get ready.

The big things are covered. I have enough ammo for practice and getting through first two matches, the new scope is on rifle, and I have been doing indoor dry fire with a DFAT system.

I’m far from ready to compete in one of these but I do want to check it out and maybe just watch and learn.

Dryfire Focus Adapter Training. DFAT
I got mine from DST precision.

Briefly it is a lens adapter that can screw on the end of your scope and allows the scope to focus at short range. (12 to 15 feet). Mine came with a bunch of 8.5”x 11 inch prints of different ranges with a variety of targets of different sizes ( targets are really small but when viewed through your scope as they simulate how 2-6 moa targets would look downrange)

My set up is in basement. I have three different range prints held with magnets on the door of an upright freezer. 12 feet away I have a PRS style barricade. Then I run through a simulated stage. Sometimes its 3 shots at each three white diamonds that are spread vertically across range labeled A Band C. I have to move location on barricade between shots. Find and engage target after each move.

other times it’s a single 4 moa target, two shots from each of four positions

the stage is what ever you want to make up. Sometimes I switch barricade for a poly barrel

i use a 10 round mag loaded with snap caps (dummy rounds). I run it just like a stage at a match. 2 min par and use a ced 7000 timer or stop watch. Bolt is open until on target, open again to move. If a snap cap jams I clear and keep on.

it is a pretty decent simulation of what down range looks like through scope. The tiny targets really make your wobble apparent So I’m able to work on building more stable positions quicker. Often I’m hunting to find correct target on the “range” especially when I’m using an image of a brushy hill side range. I’m getting a better feel for what two min stage feels like so I don’t rush to bad shots.

I changed three things since my first ( and only) match last year. I upgraded scope to a FFP scope with a zero stop that is Mils Mils. Second I added a chest bag to outfit. ( last time I only has a game changer bag). Third was the DFAT, which is helping me figure out how to best use the chest bag in addition to general dry fire practice.

I will say the first few stages I ran with the DFAT in my basement were humbling. However by fourth or fifth stage I saw improvement ( still not good). After a few practice sessions I was feeling better about things. I try to practice two or three times a week. I run four or at most five stages in a practice. Still don’t think I have chest bag figured out.

slipknot (or anyone else, for that matter), I was looking at that rimfire PRS match and it looked interesting. I can't make it out to Granby on the 14th to take a look, so I'll just ask. What would you consider the minimum equipment list to successfully complete the match? Not necessarily to be competitive, but to get through the match and be able to make the 'this is awesome/this isn't for me' call?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A 22 rifle capable of MOA accuracy
A scope preferably first focal but not absolutely
Ballistic app to calculate out from say 35 yards out to 3 or 400 yards max
A bipod
if You don’t have a rear support bag usually guys will share gear
A front support bag is beneficial too
Some kind of wrist coach maybe to note the course of fire to make scope adjustments in case you forget

knee pads help my old bones

It is fun
Way better than punching paper

slipknot (or anyone else, for that matter), I was looking at that rimfire PRS match and it looked interesting. I can't make it out to Granby on the 14th to take a look, so I'll just ask. What would you consider the minimum equipment list to successfully complete the match? Not necessarily to be competitive, but to get through the match and be able to make the 'this is awesome/this isn't for me' call?

Thanks!
Bring a rifle w/bipod, rear bag, and something to write target solutions on. Borrow everything else from squad mates until you know what you might need or like.

Get out there and participate. You can pick up gear along the way as your learn.

Spectators are usually welcome at any of the matches. However, it would be best to contact the Granby Match Director beforehand, if you plan to attend as a spectator.

They have become rightly suspicious of non-shooters poking around the property due to some problems with the neighbors.

Northny. I’d like to come spectate if I get the chance. Did you put that new barrel on?
I decided to build another rifle, so I took a Rem 700 I wasn’t using much, tore it down to the bare receiver, and used your criterion barrel as part of the build back. I plan to shoot the finished rifle next week, but won’t have it ready for first match

My old rifle got a new scope, and I did a quick 100 yard zero at range today, pic attached. I think my 100 yard zero is good. 😌

Ill send you a pm on spectator question. I think the issue right now is still COVID, limiting the number of people on site

Attachments

• FB9E61DE-858A-499D-9324-99034B65F479.jpeg
    FB9E61DE-858A-499D-9324-99034B65F479.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom