Granby Bow & Gun Club ZBA final meeting May 7th

slipknot

NES Member
I hope others who care can be at the meeting to show support. Thanks NES

Dear Members,

The FINAL ZBA Hearing regarding our covered shooting structures on our lower (100y) and upper (1000y) shooting area is next Tuesday, May 7th @ 6:30pm. We need your support!! The ZBA will be visiting the Club for a site visit and then reconvening the hearing on Tuesday. They will be discussing our application and making a decision on the special permit application the Club has filed. Our attorney’s made excellent arguments on the Club’s behalf at the April 23rd hearing. We need our biggest turn out of members and friends for this final hearing. Please plan on attending. We know that you all have busy lives and we are very appreciative of your continued support.

PLEASE PLAN ON ATTENDING. WE NEED EVERY MEMBER AND CLUB FRIEND TO COME AND SHOW THEIR SUPPORT FOR THE CLUB!!

Date: Tuesday May 7, 2019
Time: 6:30pm (please arrive by 5:30pm so we can get in line and fill the front rows).
10-B West State Street
Granby, MA

Thank you,

GB&GC BOD

Just a reminder that this is tonight. Anyone and everyone that can make it there please come. Thank you!

As continued tonight, May 7th:
6:00 Cont’d Hearing: The Granby Board of Appeals Public Hearing that was scheduled for January 08, 2019 and moved to April 9th, has been rescheduled for April 23, 2019 at 6:00 P.M. at 10-B West State Street (Senior Center), Granby MA 01033 to consider the petition of the Granby Bow & Gun Club, Inc. seeking a Special Permit applicable of Section VI- Administration and Enforcement, 6.21. – Special Permit Granting Authorities, regarding, an existing constructed shooter shed approximately 10-ft by 90-ft located in lower firing area and a proposed construction of a 50-ft by 16-ft shooter shed with sound suppression material to mitigate noise on an upper firing area, to be located at 85 Chicopee Street, Granby, MA, known as Map15, Parcels C-3, 4, 5, 6,7,9,10,11, & 12.

In addition to the above hearing, the Board of Appeals intends to conduct a public meeting following said hearings as time permits. This notice is given pursuant to Chapter 40A and Chapter 39, Section 23B of the Massachusetts General Laws.

Last edited:
It appears that the towns tactic is to delay, delay, delay. They had another attorney speak that made the claim that the upper range had been deemed illegal. Not once in all the meetings that I've been to have I heard that before. I believe the next meeting is scheduled on May 21 at a location TBD. Once again we're in the same place we were before. Neither the covered lower range or upper range can be used.

Granby politics have proved to be more than pathetic. The Misses and I were looking to move to either Granby or Ludlow ... Ludlow gets my $.

Granby politics have proved to be more than pathetic. The Misses and I were looking to move to either Granby or Ludlow ... Ludlow gets my $.
I was talking to an attorney involved in this dispute. He told me that the issues are political, not legal.

From a Granby Officer posted on FB: Granby ZBA 5/7 Hearing Update- The ZBA voted to postpone a decision on the club’s special permit application until the end of the month. That said, the tone of the hearing was not favorable to the club and we don’t expect the ZBA to vote in our favor. We will keep you updated regarding the Club’s next move, but wanted to thank everyone for their continued support.

Deemed illegal by who? Because permit?
The other attorney made the claim that the upper shooting area was a new range and therefore illegal or something to that effect. It really was disgusting to listen to the BS from these people. The attorney also said that we're shooting high caliber rounds there. They sure do like to try to create hysteria. Unfortunately in some people they do.

And Ludlow is getting alot of money... Granby is catching up though

Who is the "other attorney" representing?

Isn't the ZBA required to issue a ruling within a set period of time, considering only parameters within its authority to consider and ignoring any other comments brought before it?

Isn't the ZBA required to issue a ruling within a set period of time, considering only parameters within its authority to consider and ignoring any other comments brought before it?

That was my understanding. The attorneys for the range had framed that well to board in the previous hearing.

The attorney also said that we're shooting high caliber rounds there.

LOL.

My in laws are in Granby and get taxed up the wazoo for minimal services. I would recommend a different town like Ludlow, South Hadley, Belchertown, or Palmer.

The constant delays make for a better TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242 case no? This kind of harassment isn't going to stop until the officials abusing the shit out of their authority are personally or criminally liable.

Who is the "other attorney" representing?

The clubs attorney's protested the other attorney and gave the reasons why they considered it too late for this attorney to contest but the chairman of the ZBA made the decision that he could speak and gave the reason why he allowed him to after although I don't recall what it was. There was a member on the board that said that this other attorney previously was his commanding officer years ago but that they weren't drinking buddies. As others have said it sure appears to be political BS.

Last edited:
I am sure the Granby taxpayers enjoy this charade. They should remember this at election time.

This. Mendon spent a lot of money trying to keep a strip club out. They lost and also had to pay attorney's fees to the strip club proposer. All for nothing - just flushing money down the drain. ZBAs have specific rules to follow - these people better get their act together before it costs Granby a lot of money.

It appears that the towns tactic is to delay, delay, delay. They had another attorney speak that made the claim that the upper range had been deemed illegal. Not once in all the meetings that I've been to have I heard that before. I believe the next meeting is scheduled on May 21 at a location TBD. Once again we're in the same place we were before. Neither the covered lower range or upper range can be used.
Today is May 21st, I wonder what the spineless jellyfish's decision will be.

Today is May 21st, I wonder what the spineless jellyfish's decision will be.
I haven't heard anything since the last meeting so I'm not sure if there is a meeting tonight but if there is, their decision will most likely be to screw the club over.

Is there ANY shooting allowed at this club?
Yes but you can't shoot from under the covered firing line because for some reason the town inspector I guess won't approve the structure. I'm not really sure it's been going on for so long now. You have to shoot off to the side of the structure and the upper firing line can't be used at all.

This topic seems to have gone dark and quiet on both sides. No communication from GB&GC on what is happening or not happening. No decision from the Zoning Board of Appeals. No ZBA meeting scheduled on Town web site. Takes seven days notice for meeting to be held. Didn’t see any notice for meeting being held in future. I’m not sure ZBA can vote and render decision without meeting.

I think clubs only option is going back to state land court and continuing case already underway, or other suit against town.

The video from the 7th of May:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzudSzZwD_Y

Preliminary date and location for meeting, deliberation, and vote was set for the 28th per the closing of hearing. Location to be determined. Time to be determined. I don't know the public posting requirement for the deliberation. They have, according to statute, up to 90 days post hearing for the vote although the town attorney advised to make the meeting date asap due to pending litigation in the land court.

My in laws are in Granby and get taxed up the wazoo for minimal services. I would recommend a different town like Ludlow, South Hadley, Belchertown, or Palmer.
We are looking in that area now. I found the taxes in Ludlow, Granby, Palmer Belchertown high then double that for Wilbraham. For us Monson has less taxes and you get more house for less. My opinion.

They've always got excuses. None legitimate but they get away with it. It's unbelievable that the lower covered range can't be used that should have been approved a long time ago.

They've always got excuses. None legitimate but they get away with it. It's unbelievable that the lower covered range can't be used that should have been approved a long time ago.

That thing was built like a tank, yet the town closed it over a minor code discrepancy. Club fixed it almost immediately yet the town continues to screw everyone over.

You can still shoot to 500 yards. There is space to the right of the covered structure. I've seen people bring pop-ups for shade when it gets hot out.

That thing was built like a tank, yet the town closed it over a minor code discrepancy. Club fixed it almost immediately yet the town continues to screw everyone over.

You can still shoot to 500 yards. There is space to the right of the covered structure. I've seen people bring pop-ups for shade when it gets hot out.
Yes, I've shot off the sides and it's fine but it would be much better to be able to use the covered structure and as you stated they're just messing with the club because the structure certainly is well constructed and as you said the discrepancy that there was, was taken care of a long time ago.

They seem to be making sh*t up as they go and each time their rationale shifts like the sands in a sand storm. Last meeting, they allowed a guest attorney to argue against the club in what amounted to a surprise appearance (at what was supposed to be the meeting limited to the vote) because "technically" the board didn't close the hearing since they were being allowed a site visit. They only closed the public comments at that time.

Board claims, this time, it is not attacking the club's grandfathered use or it's lawful purpose with their main rationale being they did not receive the demanded documentation that extends well beyond what is needed for the structures themselves. The town inspector was clear as to the requirements for and what is typically provided to the town for building permits but this group is demanding extended surveys of the entire club property to include a full site plan along with detailed topographical plots, buffer zones, detailed locations of all water features, detailed location of berms, study of runoff, target locations, traffic studies, etc, etc.

Town also claims that the "harmony" of the neighborhood has been disturbed by the active use of the club which, they claim, has increased significantly. Which, sounds as though the town is looking to prevent "progress", prevent the club from experiencing growth, and are looking to shut them down with a bunch flip-flopping statements while focusing on things the ZBA should really not be concerned with.

Town has also claimed that any perceived delays by the board are, in actuality, entirely due to the club's actions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom