Grace Period (for purchase only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to clarify this. I have a rifle on hold at a local shop which most of us here know and love. Total brain fade on my part finds my LTC "A" set to expire on my birthday, this Monday. The store is closed on Mondays.

Short questions is this: Can I buy this long gun on Tuesday?

As always, thanks,

Steve

Theoretically you should be able to use it to buy the gun (because of the grace period) but I doubt most shops would do the transfer due to paranoia about selling to someone with an expired LTC.

-Mike

Last edited:
Saying "Grace"

Theoretically you should be able to use it to buy the gun (because of the grace period) but I doubt most shops would do the transfer due to paranoia about selling to someone with an expired LTC.

-Mike

Mike, thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I have an email in to the shop owner. We'll see. The last thing I want to do is put anyone, especially this business owner who I consider a friend, in a tough spot.

Again, thanks,

Steve

Trying to clarify this. I have a rifle on hold at a local shop which most of us here know and love. Total brain fade on my part finds my LTC "A" set to expire on my birthday, this Monday. The store is closed on Mondays.

Short questions is this: Can I buy this long gun on Tuesday?

The grace period exists only for those with the acuity to file their renewal prior to the expiration date of their existing license. Your posts suggests that you are not one of those.

You can only "clarify" an issue on which there is some element of confusion. There is none here; thus, nothing to "clarify." [rolleyes]

The grace period exists only for those with the acuity to file their renewal prior to the expiration date of their existing license. Your posts suggests that you are not one of those.

You can only "clarify" an issue on which there is some element of confusion. There is none here; thus, nothing to "clarify." [rolleyes]

I know you're an august member of this on-line community. While I appreciate you taking the time to responsd to the substantive issue, is there a reason why you felt the need to editorialize about my personal apparent lack of keeness or smarts about the license renweal itself? Did it not occur to you that I could (and will be) reapplying before tomorrow ends thereby putting me in the class of people you refer to, i.e., those that actually do begin the renewal process prior to expiration.

The extra demeaning "lesson" about "clarification" with the rolling eyes was especially classy. (Thats called "sarcasm"). Did I offend you in some way? We've actually met once at the range and had a nice chat. It was a few years ago but I don't recall personally offending you in any way.

Not that I need to justify anything to you or anyone else, but I've only just this past month been fortunate enough to get back into competitive shooting, so renewing my LTC was simply not on my radar. My young wife has terminal cancer and my six year old girl recently figured out what that really means. I also radically changed careers recently taking chrage of an EmergencyManagement Agency and large security operation for high risk targets. So I've had other things on my mind. I asked a realtively simple question not requiring editorial nastiness, as the response of others here showed. People let things like licenses lapse all the time in the normal course of human behavior. Doesn't make it right, but its not like I'm the first guy to let something like this slide despite good intentions. If I failed myself on that issue then only I suffer the inconvenience, not you, although your repsonse made it seem as such And as I noted, I've had more important priorities. My wife, knowing I missed shooting and needing an outlet/something else to do apart from work and taking care of her was actually the one who lobbied for me to get back into shooting and buy this gun. Kind, selfless behavior that others could leanr from. So I don't think I'm lacking any "acuity."

I also didn't need your very public personal dig disguised as a grammar/logic/semantics lesson. Did that add to the answer of the question or just make you feel superior?

I've wasted enough bandwith on Derek's fine home he has created for us here. But I felt complelled to respond publicly.

Steve

Now THAT's a friend.

Steve, I'll help you solve your problem: I have a valid LTC. Let me buy your pretty new rifle!

Thanks D, you're a true mensch. So thoughtful, so giving...Somewhat in line with what we talked about while in the stack yesterday during that one exercise when you mentioned your AR may have started to run dry .... :)

My problem has been solved, but I'm happy to let you shoot it any time you please...

Steve

1. Sorry to hear about your wife, particularly as if affects your daughter. I hope the situation improves, at least to the extent possible.

2. Someone who's career includes "recently taking charge of an Emergency Management Agency and large security operation for high risk targets" certainly ought to be cognizant of his LTC and the maintenance of same.

3. Simple research about the "grace period" on this forum and the GOAL site would have provided the info about the necessity of filing prior to expiration - something you may not achieve, even by going to the PD tomorrow.

Our best wishes for all of the above.

First, I really do appreciate the kind words about my wife and daughter. I trust and believe that the sentiment is genuine.

BUT, to quote a guy I just spent a lot of time with this weekend, you had a chance at the title and you passed it by, by sticking with the tack of taking a personal swipe at me, when you don't know me or my world, from Adam, when you throw my own words in my face about my new job to make me look foolish/negligent/irresponsible etc...in regard to my letting my LTC run up to the last possible day. My point in mentioning the job stuff, which you seem to have missed, was that with the change in career to a brand new 24 hour per day job taking care of the security, safety and welfare of a large consituency, along with other more important things in my life, allowed remebering to handle a piece of personal administrative paperwork to slip through the cracks. Your implication of what I ought to be aware of in my personal life is presumptuous, misguided, and in place of saltier language, impolite at best. Sounds like you've never let anything slip though the cracks of your life. Probably never forgot to do anything, ever, big or small, even when you were were under tremendous pressure or otherwise preoccupied by vitally important matters compared to other things in your life. That's awesome.

Now, about the "simple research" thing. That's what I was doing by asking the question here. Simple research. Sure, I could have looked up the Mass General Laws or Code of Massachusetts Regulations, gone to the GOAL website maybe, searched the net for other sources. But your point is intellectually dishonest, because you and I both know that probably half the traffic (and usefulness) of this great website is for people to ask questions of thier fellow shooters just like I did, for answers to questions that the incredibly knowlegeble people here usually have at their finger tips. Isn't that what so much of the activity on this board is about? If people do what I did and guys like you answer with "Your question and actions were stupid (and roll your eyes while saying it to be estra sure the questioner feels like an idiot) and you could have answered it by doing some research" then we should shut the whole place down right now and unplug the server. Or maybe just allow questions you deem acceptable to the group at large and not let anyone ask the truly friendly, willing-to-help-a-brother-out kind of first class people we have here answer a simple question from a like minded individual who is in need of a little quick guidance. Again, if you've NEVER asked anyone, here or otherwise, a question without formally researching it in reference materials or the like first, then you've got most of us beat.

And fwiw, the retailer is going out of his way to help me tomorrow, rendering the grace period question moot. And despite your concerns about my renewal situation, I fully expect that my local PD will help me get renewed in a timely fashion, not just because I know much of the command staff professionally, but becuase they are a first class professional department who understand and appreciate the community they serve.

This is where you probably take another blind swing at me in public for actually defending myself with logic and reasoning. While most people find this BS entertaining, (sorta like a hockey fight) my guess is that the powers that be would prefer it be taken off line. I'll leave it to you one way or another. But notice that several people stepped up to the plate here and simply answered my question without the need to denigrate, put down, or criticize in the process.

1. Sorry to hear about your wife, particularly as if affects your daughter. I hope the situation improves, at least to the extent possible.

2. Someone who's career includes "recently taking charge of an Emergency Management Agency and large security operation for high risk targets" certainly ought to be cognizant of his LTC and the maintenance of same.

3. Simple research about the "grace period" on this forum and the GOAL site would have provided the info about the necessity of filing prior to expiration - something you may not achieve, even by going to the PD tomorrow.

Our best wishes for all of the above.

Last edited:
1. Going onto a forum and expecting its members to answer your question is not "research." It is more like intellectual panhandling.

2. While your supposed personal relationship with half the command staff may facilitate your renewal, that is not an option for most people here. Many towns only accept apps on certain days or only after a (deliberately obstructionistic) process of calling for an appointment just to file, then waiting for interviews, etc. Hence the standing recommendation that an app be filed at least 6 weeks prior to the expiration date.

That you had other demands on your time is not questioned. However, given your claimed job responsibilities, maintenance of an LTC would seem to be a priority.

I've still got yer back! [smile]

You always do!

Just picked up the new M1A. Black on Black. Prettiest gun ever made, in my opinion. Love the way they shoot. Can't wait 'til I can get to the range to break it in and then shoot a match again after a considerable amount of time away from that part of the shooting sport world.

And no, Scrivener, you're assuming, guessing, and generally making stuff up once again at what goes on in my life be it work or personal, in your continued failed attempt to make my failure to renew my LTC earlier an act of negligence on my part. You just keep making stuff up. That's just so...odd. Having an LTC is not part of my job. I hire people with more tactical training than me when I deem a security situation requires an armed component. Where I carry and when is nobody's business except mine and anyone I have a legal duty to answer to. You aren't on that list and your guessing at what my job requirements are (and being totally wrong about them) just makes my point about your game even stronger. But thanks for playing anyway. We have some nice parting gifts for you out back.

And if asking questions on this forum is "intellectual panhandling" then you've just insulted a huge percentage of people that ask all sorts of gun related questions here every day. (Nice try with playing off my calling you out on intellectual dishonesty though. Is that the best someone who calls themselves "Scrivener" can come up with). Maybe you have more time than the rest of us. Maybe you're retired and can spend all day "researching" things. (I don't know if you are, it s called an "example") Tell me you've never, ever, turned to another person when looking for a quick answer on something without "researching" for an answer and I'll call BS on it right on the spot. But then again, you seem to take pleasure in insulting us mere mortals, baiting and pushing the buttons of decent people who do nothing more onerous than asking questions that you personally deem unworthy of being asked, or asking them in ways that you disprove of. You have a well documented compulsion to comment (typically impolitely) on things that seemingly don't have anything to do with you in the first place. Usually, like in your personal derision of me, you offer no substantive advice in the process. You just piss on people. I COULD do what you do, and publicly speculate as to why. Your written comments would make for a good partial starting point as towards a diagnosis about your rude and impolite ad hominem attacks on people here, but as entertaining as it would be, I won't publicly speculate as to the psychological motivations behind your need to butt in to threads and dump on people. We've all seen your shtick here over time and I guess it was my turn for you to take a verbal caning out on me. I suppose I should take it as a badge of honor almost.

I'm done with you on this and won't reply to further baiting, as much as you seem to get your jollies off of it. (See, I said "seem", becuase unlike you, I don't really know what goes on inside your head. That's called speculation, which I DO believe you know a lot about) Today's my birthday. Why don't you give me the gift of silence?

Besides, I'm off to the P.D. to file the paperwork for my LTC. ;)

Steve

Happy Birthday Ozman - best of luck with the renew process.

And Im jealous of your new M1A :)

You always do!

And no, Scrivener, you're assuming, guessing, and generally making stuff up once again at what goes on in my life be it work or personal, in your continued failed attempt to make my failure to renew my LTC earlier an act of negligence on my part. You just keep making stuff up. That's just so...odd. Having an LTC is not part of my job. I hire people with more tactical training than me when I deem a security situation requires an armed component. Where I carry and when is nobody's business except mine and anyone I have a legal duty to answer to. You aren't on that list and your guessing at what my job requirements are (and being totally wrong about them) just makes my point about your game even stronger. But thanks for playing anyway. We have some nice parting gifts for you out back.

And if asking questions on this forum is "intellectual panhandling" then you've just insulted a huge percentage of people that ask all sorts of gun related questions here every day. (Nice try with playing off my calling you out on intellectual dishonesty though. Is that the best someone who calls themselves "Scrivener" can come up with). Maybe you have more time than the rest of us. Maybe you're retired and can spend all day "researching" things. (I don't know if you are, it s called an "example") Tell me you've never, ever, turned to another person when looking for a quick answer on something without "researching" for an answer and I'll call BS on it right on the spot. But then again, you seem to take pleasure in insulting us mere mortals, baiting and pushing the buttons of decent people who do nothing more onerous than asking questions that you personally deem unworthy of being asked, or asking them in ways that you disprove of. You have a well documented compulsion to comment (typically impolitely) on things that seemingly don't have anything to do with you in the first place. Usually, like in your personal derision of me, you offer no substantive advice in the process. You just piss on people. I COULD do what you do, and publicly speculate as to why. Your written comments would make for a good partial starting point as towards a diagnosis about your rude and impolite ad hominem attacks on people here, but as entertaining as it would be, I won't publicly speculate as to the psychological motivations behind your need to butt in to threads and dump on people. We've all seen your shtick here over time and I guess it was my turn for you to take a verbal caning out on me. I suppose I should take it as a badge of honor almost.

I'm done with you on this and won't reply to further baiting, as much as you seem to get your jollies off of it. (See, I said "seem", becuase unlike you, I don't really know what goes on inside your head. That's called speculation, which I DO believe you know a lot about) Today's my birthday. Why don't you give me the gift of silence?

Besides, I'm off to the P.D. to file the paperwork for my LTC. ;)

Steve

I like your style putting Scrivener in his place. He is like so many attorneys who are "No men." No you can't do this and no you can't do that. Its the easy answer. He needs to be a facilitator and not a PITA.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Last edited:
And no, Scrivener, you're assuming, guessing, and generally making stuff up once again at what goes on in my life be it work or personal, in your continued failed attempt to make my failure to renew my LTC earlier an act of negligence on my part. You just keep making stuff up.

Drivel.

I simply stated what YOU put in your posts - usually as direct quotes. As for the negligence, your OP made that evident.

Having an LTC is not part of my job. I hire people with more tactical training than me when I deem a security situation requires an armed component.

Then what purpose was served by - as explanation for the lapse - even giving us the details of your position? You cannot have it both ways, however desperately you try.

And if asking questions on this forum is "intellectual panhandling" then you've just insulted a huge percentage of people that ask all sorts of gun related questions here every day. (Nice try with playing off my calling you out on intellectual dishonesty though. Is that the best someone who calls themselves "Scrivener" can come up with).

Asking questions is not, per se, "intellectual panhandling."

Dropping in expecting everyone else to provide answers you can't be bothered to find for yourself IS.

Besides, I'm off to the P.D. to file the paperwork for my LTC.

It's a lovely day to be at the range. Enjoy your new toy - presuming your renewal went as you promised it would, of course.

If not, take your wife and daughter out to enjoy Spring in New England, which would also be a great way to spend your birthday. [wink]

f40.jpg

I think this one's pulling into the station..... [laugh]

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom