• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

grace period expiration and legality of firearms in home - any J.D.s out there?

Let me start by stating I recieved my FID at 15 years old, and I have had an LTC since I turned 21.. so over 23 years now of LTC with no issues. Until today... my town has a 70 day backlog for FID/LTC appointments after an application is presented, and I have also been informed by local PD that the State will take another 60-90 days (if not longer) to complete my LTC once approved by local PD during my appointment (70 days from now plus at least 60 days from State > 130 days!! over 4 months.. Good Lord..). That being said, the 90 day grace period will be long passed prior to recieving my renewal class A LTC. What do I have to do to stay "legal" with my current firearms and >10 round pre-ban mags? Thanks for any help.

Find a friend or relative that is a LTC holder and can take possession of your stash. Or if you know anyone that lives outside of the state that can store them for you.

My LTC comes due at the end of March. I called the PD today, and said, "Is it too early to do the App?"

"You have a 90 day grace period"

[rolleyes]

I'm starting the paperwork ASAP....

5 yrs ago they told me i was there too early when i showed up a month before expiration. this time i arrived 1st week of nov, and got an appt for dec 26. went there the 26th to get my pic and fingerprint. on my way out she told me they would call several months from now to let me know it was in !!!! mine expired on the 17th....

Defiantly the town... I interviewed Nov 19th pd finally finished with my background check and sent into firearms records bureau dec 19th. The records bureau says they take about 2 weeks then send out printed card to pd...

The state is not backlogged, that is the local PD lying. There are towns in MA who regularly issue in 3-5 weeks.
True. From the bottom of this page
As of December 10, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between December 3rd - December 9th.

That certainly doesnt support the fact the backlog is not the state. The "license processing time" hasn't been updated in nearly 3 weeks.

The fact that some towns manage to get both new licenses and renewals done in well under the 4 day limit, while others take months and months certainly does (unless you believe that the state screw with some towns for the fun of it but acts nice with others).

Ken

it takes 6 weeks or so just to get an appt for the 5 minutes of time to snap a pic and fingerprint !!!

this state is not a very good place to be if you own or want to own a gun........

Last edited:
the guy ahead of me was checking on the status of his. it had been 6 weeks.
they told him it was not in and they would call him !!!

Back
Top Bottom