• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grace period chaos

My LTC will soon expire. I have applied for a renewal, and have the PD receipt in hand.

I did a forum search for the 90 day grace period. Wow, so many contradictions.

As I read MGL 140;131, (i), I believe my LTC is valid for carry, purchase, sale, and basically extends my LTC currency 90 days with all privileges INCLUDING purchase/private sale. Am I missing something?

I’d particularly like to hear Cross-X and Scrivener’s respected opinions.

Don't count on it working for purchases from dealers. I suspect most of them will try to cover their asses by refusing to sell. I was up at the Hudson, NH Walmart last week picking up some ammunition and the guy at the counter refused to sell with my recently expired LTC. Luckily I had my NH NR permit with me, which he accepted. Go figure.

Ken

I know this is resurrecting an oldie, but my license expired 8/18. I tried to buy a gun and the state computer wouldn't allow it.
Soooo, I'm still waiting. I have decided not to test the part about carrying BTW

I know this is resurrecting an oldie, but my license expired 8/18. I tried to buy a gun and the state computer wouldn't allow it.
Soooo, I'm still waiting. I have decided not to test the part about carrying BTW

The law is the law. You are legal as long as you've reapplied. I would only carry, though, if I had the receipt.

Gotta love how MIRCS won't allow you to buy something, though. My guess is, of course, MIRCS has no way of knowing whether or not the buyer has reapplied.

-Mike

The law is the law. You are legal as long as you've reapplied. I would only carry, though, if I had the receipt.

Gotta love how MIRCS won't allow you to buy something, though. My guess is, of course, MIRCS has no way of knowing whether or not the buyer has reapplied.

-Mike

You are most likely correct that MIRCS doesn't know that you re-applied. In addition see my theory below.

It has been my understanding (although I am NOT certain of this) that you were legal to "possess" (in your home, locked up) during the grace period (couldn't be prosecuted) but NOT legal to carry or buy anything during that time.

I certainly would not want to test out the theory that you could purchase or carry under the grace period in a MA court or with an anti-gun MA DA!!

Way back in the late-1980s, a former chief was jerking me around on my renewal because I refused to give him my SSN to run the background check and advised him that his "requirement" was illegal per 5 USC 552a (US Right to Privacy Act of 1974). So as payback, I warned him that I would NOT work as a Reserve PO after my LTC expired until I got my new one . . . he responded that I was perfectly legal to carry on my badge . . . and my response was that I knew that, but would not do so! [devil] There was a grace period back then (90 days IIRC) but it was my understanding that it was strictly for possession at home, nothing more. He knew that every time he got in a jam and needed an officer for a detail/shift that his FT POs wouldn't take, I always came thru for him, so I did hold a bargaining chip. At any rate, he held my LTC renewal up for 30 days (5 days was the norm back then) before he gave it to me. [That was also the only time in 30+ years that I or my Wife ever got any kind of "receipt" for our renewal applications.]

Back
Top Bottom