• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GP100 vs 686

watchman

NES Member
I had the chance to shoot & compare both today. As a S&W fan I was underwhelmed and surprised more with the Ruger. Using both 38 & 357 loads I found the GP much more to my liking. Recoil seemed to slightly better with the Ruger and the Smith was the heavy gun between them. The biggest dis-advantage was the fit from trigger to butt. It was longer with the Smith so it felt like i was grabbing the trigger with the tip of my finger and almost could feel it slipping off.

I am glad I got the chance to compare as I was looking at a 586 (yes it's on the EOPS list now [dance]) and I think a GP100 is now the better choice for me.

I think the 686 is the better looking gun of the two, but looks are subjective. There are areas like the hammer and top strap on the GP100 that show where Ruger saves a few pennies to deliver a less expensive gun. But the GP100 is a fine revolver and built like a tank.

I just bought a 686 pro series. Love the feel in my hand. Unfortunately like the last 2 revolvers before it, I had to send it back to the mothership. This time light strikes and a canted barrel were the culprits. While I have great faith in the S&W CSD to make it right, my next revolver is going to be the GP100 Match Champion.

The match champion does look like a nice revolver, but I don't get why they went with the rear sight channel vs. an adjustable rear sight?

The MC is adjustable for windage but it is strange that they wouldn't have any option for elevation.

I guess you can change the height of the front sight, which is actually easy on that gun now that I think about it.

My first revolver was a 4" GP100. I've since acquired more than a few S&W revolvers, whenever I think about selling the GP100 I bring it out to the range and those thoughts disappear quickly.

Back
Top Bottom