GP100 - rant

Urj

I've been looking for a Ruger GP161 and I want the blued version. I just found out that I can't buy the blued version in MA; only the Stainless model is available.

That's a whole new level of absurd! [angry]

It's a fricken COLOR not the addition of a fully automatic 87 thousand grain rocket propelled flaming napalm chain-saw of mass death and destruction to the end of the barrel.

I think I may go buy a Stainless GP100 and hit it with rattle can pansy pink. Then I'll take a picture of it and send it to Martha.

Last edited:
I would love to get my hands on a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt but can't because the state hasn't tested them even though the pistol is the same as the standard Redhawk except for barrel length. Same bitch here. Ruger made a run of SS Bisleys for Accusport in 45 Colt again can't get it cause it hasn't been tested. Does anyone on Beacon Hill have a clue? Sorry just venting.

Went through the same BS a while back... it's totally ridiculous.

On a side note, I'm VERY pleased with my stainless GP.

Get a clue, all you cretins ranting about how you can't get some gun "because the state hasn't tested them." It's crap.

"The state" doesn't test guns. Period. Grasp the concept.

If a particular model or manufacturer is not available in this state, it is because the manufacturer did not submit the gun to one of the approved labs for testing and then present it to the GCAB for inclusion on the AFR.

Read more; rant less.

Get a clue, all you cretins ranting about how you can't get some gun "because the state hasn't tested them." It's crap.

If a particular model or manufacturer is not available in this state, it is because the manufacturer did not submit the gun to one of the approved labs for testing and then present it to the GCAB for inclusion on the AFR.

Read more; rant less.

Enlighten more, insult less!

Urj - I want mine blued too but I'm not waiting. Mine will be stainless.

Read more; rant less.

Never said anything about testing the gun. For whatever reason a gun is or isn't available to purchase in MA. It is absurd that the exact same gun is not available because it's a different color. This gun is available in MA. Reading is fundamental. Context is everything in not missing an important aspect and having creative insults rendered completely inappropriate.

As a side note. I spoke with the dealer I should have called first today and it looks like I will be able to get the gun I want after all.

Last edited:
As a side note. I spoke with the dealer I should have called first today and it looks like I will be able to get the gun I want after all.

We talkin' about one of these -
f59i1d.jpg

or one of these -
35k7pec.jpg

Never said anything about testing the gun. For whatever reason a gun is or isn't available to purchase in MA. It is absurd that the exact same gun is not available because it's a different color.

I guess the question that haunts me, naif that I am, is this: If the stainless version of the gun has been submitted for testing and found worthy, then why is the same gun with a different finish not eligible for sale in Mass?

Isn't the gun mechanically and functionally identical? Why would the finish of any hangun distingish it any more than if the grips were made of rosewood or rubber?

Never said anything about testing the gun. For whatever reason a gun is or isn't available to purchase in MA.

Wrong. I quoted the post in question exactly. And the "reason a gun is isn't available to purchase in MA" IS the AFR. Grasp that, Mr. "Reading Is Fundamental." [slap]

It is absurd that the exact same gun is not available because it's a different color.

It is not "a different color;" it is a different METAL. Which makes it a different GUN for testing purposes.

Get back to us IF and when you've comprehended these basics.

Oooooh. Now I get it. But, it still don't. I'd sure like to read those testing specifications.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Testing Requirements shall mean the testing requirements as defined in M.G.L.c. 140, § 123 clauses eighteenth, nineteenth, twentieth and twenty-first. For clause eighteen, such requirements shall include a certified statement from the manufacturer regarding the melting point, tensile strength, or density of the metal used in manufacturing the firearm, or the successful completion of the firing tests. Only firearms with a "length of barrel," as defined by M.G.L.c. 140, § 121, of less than three inches are required to complete the testing in M.G.L.c. 140, § 123, clause twenty-first. For all other firearms, the term "Testing Requirements" shall refer only to clauses eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth.

Which is:

Eighteenth, That no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery any firearm, to any purchaser in the commonwealth unless such sale is to a business entity that is primarily a firearm wholesaler and the sale, by its terms, prohibits the purchaser from reselling such firearm to a firearm retailer or consumer in the commonwealth if such firearm has a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock that is composed of:. (i) any metal having a melting point of less than 900 degrees Fahrenheit; (ii)any metal having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or (iii) any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter. This clause shall not apply to any make and model of firearm for which a sample of three firearms in new condition all pass the following test: Each of the three samples shall fire 600 rounds, stopping every 100 rounds to tighten any loose screws and to clean the gun if required by the cleaning schedule in the user manual, and as needed to refill the empty magazine or cylinder to capacity before continuing. For any firearm that is loaded in a manner other than via a detachable magazine, the tester shall also pause every 50 rounds for ten minutes. The ammunition used shall be the type recommended by the firearm manufacturer in its user manual or, if none is recommended, any standard ammunition of the correct caliber in new condition. A firearm shall pass this test if it fires the first 20 rounds without a malfunction, fires the full 600 rounds with not more than six malfunctions and completes the test without any crack or breakage of an operating part of the firearm. The term "crack" or "breakage" shall not include a crack or breakage that does not increase the danger of injury to the user. For purposes of evaluating the results of this "test, malfunction shall mean any failure to feed, chamber, fire, extract or eject a round or any failure to accept or eject a magazine or any other failure which prevents the firearm, without manual intervention beyond that needed for routine firing and periodic reloading, from firing the chambered round or moving a new round into position so that the firearm is capable of firing the new round properly. "Malfunction" shall not include a misfire caused by a faulty cartridge the primer of which fails to detonate when properly struck by the firearms firing mechanism. Nineteenth, That no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery any firearm to any purchaser in the commonwealth unless such sale is to a business entity that is primarily a firearms wholesaler, and the sale, by its terms, prohibits such purchaser from reselling such firearm to a firearm retailer or consumer in the commonwealth if such firearm is prone to accidental discharge which, for purposes of this clause, shall mean any make and model of firearm for which a sample of five firearms in new condition all undergo, and none discharge during, the following test: Each of the five sample firearms shall be: (a) test loaded; (b) set so that the firearm is in a condition such that pulling the trigger and taking any action that must simultaneously accompany the pulling of the trigger as part of the firing procedure would fire the handgun; and (c) dropped onto a solid slab of concrete from a height of one meter from each of the following positions: (i) normal firing position; (ii) upside down; (iii) on grip; (iv) on the muzzle; (v) on either side; and (vi) on the exposed hammer or striker or, if there is no exposed hammer or striker, the rearmost part of the firearm. If the firearm is designed so that its hammer or striker may be set in other positions, each sample firearm shall be tested as above with the hammer or striker in each such position but otherwise in such condition that pulling the trigger, and taking any action that must simultaneously accompany the pulling of the trigger as part of the firing procedure, would fire the firearm. Alternatively, the tester may use additional sample firearms of the same make and model, in a similar condition, for the test of each of these hammer striker settings. Twentieth, That no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery, any firearm to any purchaser in the commonwealth unless such sale is to a business entity that is primarily a firearm wholesaler, and the sale, by its terms, prohibits the purchaser from reselling such firearm to a firearm retailer or consumer in the commonwealth if such firearm is prone to: (i) firing more than once per pull of the trigger; or (ii) explosion during firing. Twenty-first, That no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery any firearm to any purchaser in the commonwealth unless such sale is to a business entity that is primarily a firearm wholesaler and the sale, by its terms, prohibits the purchaser from reselling such firearm to a firearm retailer consumer in the commonwealth if such firearm has a barrel less than three inches in length, unless the licensee discloses in writing, prior to the transaction, to the prospective buyer, lessee, deliver or transferee the limitations of the accuracy of the particular make and model of the subject firearm, by disclosing the make and models average group diameter test result at seven yards, average group diameter test result at 14 yards and average group diameter test result at 21 yards. For purposes of this clause, average group diameter test result" shall mean the arithmetic mean of three separate trials, each performed as follows on a different sample firearm in new condition of the make and model at issue. Each firearm shall fire five rounds at a target from a set distance and the largest spread in inches between the centers of any of the holes made in a test target shall be measured and recorded. This procedure shall be repeated two more, times on the firearm. The arithmetic mean of each of the three recorded results shall be deemed the result of the trial for that particular sample firearm. The ammunition used shall be the type recommended by the firearm manufacturer in its user manual or, if none is recommended, any standard ammunition of the correct caliber in new condition. No licensee shall sell any rifle or shotgun, contrary to the provisions of section one hundred and thirty or section 131E.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Thank you, Scrivener. That's fascinating. It reads like the old ASTM test methods that had me scratching my head 20 years ago. But the thing I still fail to grasp after having read all that is the specific application of the test method to the problem at hand.

Bear with me. Things come slower to the Irish.

We have a revolver with a stainless finish that has passed the testing protocol, and the same make and model in blue which was not submitted for testing:

Assuming that the blued revolver is manufactured of a different metal or alloy:

Given that those two different metals or alloys may have different properties as specified in the regulation (melting point, tensile strength, density):

In view of the fact that every metal and alloy variation has specifications for those properties, which are known and published, and which must be certified by testing prior to receipt and acceptance of the materials by the gun manufacturer:

And in view of the apparent fact that the testing protocol referenced here does not include testing for melting point, or tensile strength, or density:

Then why should the blued revolver be refused?

Implicit in this decision must be the assumption that materials of manufacture may result in different performance characteristics under the conditions of the test.

So I have to assume that this is strictly a performance based standard. Which I ... err ...uh ....

Nevermind. I think I just answered my own question.

Boy, what a trap that regulation is! [rolleyes]

Nobody ever said Mass. politicians are intelligent.Absurd is a better word.

Not incorrect, but wholly irrelevant.

What neither you nor Gringo seem capable of comprehending is that there WAS NO REFUSAL. Keep reading that until light dawns, the words are simple enough.

Got it? Good - move on.

There is no "refusal" of a gun which was never submitted. The blued model is not on the AFR because Ruger didn't submit the blue gun - which is a wholly different steel from the stainless model.

Bitch to Ruger, instead of cluttering up the forum with repetitive drivel.

What neither you nor Gringo seem capable of comprehending is that there WAS NO REFUSAL. Keep reading that until light dawns, the words are simple enough.

Got it? Good - move on.

There is no "refusal" of a gun which was never submitted. The blued model is not on the AFR because Ruger didn't submit the blue gun - which is a wholly different steel from the stainless model.

The bastard's right. This is not good for my self esteem. I was entrapped!

Bitch to Ruger?

Got it? Good - move on.

Why bitch to Ruger.Only Mass. would even have these stupid anti gun rules.What's next,only red apples,not green ones?

I've been looking for a Ruger GP161 and I want the blued version. I just found out that I can't buy the blued version in MA; only the Stainless model is available.

That's a whole new level of absurd! [angry]

It's a fricken COLOR not the addition of a fully automatic 87 thousand grain rocket propelled flaming napalm chain-saw of mass death and destruction to the end of the barrel.

I think I may go buy a Stainless GP100 and hit it with rattle can pansy pink. Then I'll take a picture of it and send it to Martha.

I believe this to be incorrect. I've seen several GP100s blued and came close to buying them on more than one occasion.

It is incorrect. It was the information given to me by one gun shop this morning, but I visited another well respected shop today and actually put a deposit on an order for the exact gun I wanted. I even handled a blued model at the shop, albeit the 4" model.

Pretty crazy how gun shops make up their own laws to cheat themselves out of sales.

Last edited:
It is incorrect. It was the information given to me by one gun shop this morning, but I visited another well respected shop today and actually put a deposit on an order for the exact gun I wanted. I even handled a blued model at the shop, albeit the 4" model.

Pretty crazy how gun shops make up their own laws to cheat themselves out of sales.
Good for you.

Prayer tell, which shop was mistaken and which one was not? Some of us tend to adjust our shopping habits according to a merchant's behavior in these areas.

Blued gp 100

I may be wrong here, but I was told that the blued version of this gun is actually made of stainless by Ruger and chemically turned a blue color. If you have a stainless and want it blue, order the chemical from Brownells. Ruger saves money in manufacture and research by building some models in stainless, one process, to make models and then colors to suit demand. Therefore one test should cover all colors.

Why bitch to Ruger [?].Only Mass. would even have these stupid anti gun rules.What's next,only red apples,not green ones?

Yet again, you advertise your ignorance.

IF you actually had a clue, you would know that:

1. California had testing standards FIRST; and

2. Compliance w/the CA standards also satisfies much of the MA standards.

I may be wrong here, but I was told that the blued version of this gun is actually made of stainless by Ruger and chemically turned a blue color. If you have a stainless and want it blue, order the chemical from Brownells. Ruger saves money in manufacture and research by building some models in stainless, one process, to make models and then colors to suit demand. Therefore one test should cover all colors.

IF that is true, simply submitting a certificate of Functional Design Equivalency would suffice.

Next crisis.

Good for you.

Prayer tell, which shop was mistaken and which one was not? Some of us tend to adjust our shopping habits according to a merchant's behavior in these areas.

I'll update the thread with names once everything goes through. Want to make sure there are no mistakes in the end.

I believe if you go to the Ruger website they have the specs on their pistols/revolvers. Ruger's stainless handguns are made of a stainless alloy where as the blue are made from a chrome moly alloy. And I'll bet that the BATFE has a regulation covering that fact as well. Think for a minute if the above statement where true why is there no BLUE version of the Super Redhawk especially in 454 Casull?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom