• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

TURN OVER BEACON HILL

Three letters.... WTF!

I'm just sick and tired of Deval Patrick and his Lemmicrats raising taxes at every turn.

Again, self-interest plug. I'm running against these tyrants. Consider crossing the line, and voting each and every one of them that supports Patricks' attempts OUT OF OFFICE!

Forgive me for being pissed. But enough is enough. I'm a newbie to all of this, but I'm not new to seeing evil. Patrick is evil for trampling on my civil rights.

So, if this passes, it will cost anyone from out of state who wants to carry pepper spray $250 a year for the privilege????

To all the "Stay and fight" folks amongst you, I say, good luck.

You're gonna need it.

I wonder if this bill is slated for approval despite our best efforts. We are all generally aware that the Massachusetts gubernatorial position is a training step for other and better administrative positions elsewhere. So, in that light, what has Patrick got to lose? He is not likely to remain as governor past the midpoint of the next year –either nominee for the president may pull him to diversify their administration…that’s just one avenue.

This is not to say that we shouldn’t mete our displeasure and thoughts to him as well as to those whom we voted for and are they whom we want to vote against this bill like our reps.

But……………

I also wonder if this is a yellow tinged flag? Its not a white flag of surrender by any means, but is the state realizing that with the recent Heller decision, that the firearms laws here are about to change? And if so, that they must now approve licensees without regard to discretionary approval processes; meaning that the firearms fees and licenses are now a proverbial goldmine for revenue as the rest of the budget continues to spiral and collapse?

Are these the tinkering bells in the distance from a procession of sacraments or is my hearing just bad?

Yes, these "outside sections" of the budget are usually rubber-stamped. Legislators don't spend much time studying the impact of them. e.g. IIRC, MGL calls out which agency gets what amount of the $100 current fee . . . Deval's proposal doesn't even address this little detail.

Last time around Constables got hammered with a 25% "tax" to the city/town that appoints them, paid monthly. NOBODY saw it coming, both state associations didn't know about it until after it passed into law and it was buried in >1000 pg budget.

Personally I don't think there is a sinister agenda here . . . just a way to "raise money" without impacting the larger masses. Four hundred dealers (w/o even a functional dealers assn) and 240K licensees who mostly won't know anything about this until they go to renew the next time (much fewer than 10% belong to GOAL and many never read what GOAL publishes, regrettably), are a mere blip on the voting radar screen that Legislators need to worry about.

So yes, don't give up. Fight like hell!! Just don't expect much in the way of results. [Last time around the Legislative rules procedurally prevented a "decrease" from the recommended increase to $100. Jim Wallace can more eloquently explain it . . . I don't know if same rule applies now or not.] One note worth flagging is that it's not just the "application fee" but many towns require re-training (even if not required by law) at another $100-250. It's likely to dissuade a fair number of people in not renewing, thus not bringing in the windfall they are hoping for. Maybe that might get some folks thinking on Beacon Hill?? What do you think? Worth a shot?

P.S. At least GOAL stays on top of this stuff and communicates with us (thank you Jim and Angi!)! For the few (hopefully) nay-sayers that don't think that GOAL does anything useful . . . here's an example of what they do . . . we won't win every battle, but at least with knowledge and being proactive we'll win more than we would without them at our side (and leading the charge)!

Heh, I posted this info on another forum. Another MA resident said he had no sympathy because his professional license costs more for the same number of years. Thus completely missing the point.

Heh, I posted this info on another forum. Another MA resident said he had no sympathy because his professional license costs more for the same number of years. Thus completely missing the point.

Whoever said that is an absolute jackass... i have seriously had a enough of this f'n state....

P.S. At least GOAL stays on top of this stuff and communicates with us (thank you Jim and Angi!)! For the few (hopefully) nay-sayers that don't think that GOAL does anything useful . . . here's an example of what they do . . . we won't win every battle, but at least with knowledge and being proactive we'll win more than we would without them at our side (and leading the charge)!

+1

Whats next a LTC standardized test?

Yes. And the test carries a fee of $50
Next will be the License to buy ammunition which will cost $75
And don't forget the victim of gun violence surcharge of $100 on every firearm purchase (similar to the head injury surcharge on every speeding ticket)

.....I shouldn't be giving them any ideas.

Yes. And the test carries a fee of $50
Next will be the License to buy ammunition which will cost $75
And don't forget the victim of gun violence surcharge of $100 on every firearm purchase (similar to the head injury surcharge on every speeding ticket)

.....I shouldn't be giving them any ideas.

[puke] I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!

I'm just sick and tired of Deval Patrick and his Lemmicrats raising taxes at every turn.

Again, self-interest plug. I'm running against these tyrants. Consider crossing the line, and voting each and every one of them that supports Patricks' attempts OUT OF OFFICE!

Forgive me for being pissed. But enough is enough. I'm a newbie to all of this, but I'm not new to seeing evil. Patrick is evil for trampling on my civil rights.

You already have my vote [wink]

I posted it somewhere and got a "Don't forget, if you don't like the weather move." as a response.

What is your name, and what are you running for?

[Last time around the Legislative rules procedurally prevented a "decrease" from the recommended increase to $100. Jim Wallace can more eloquently explain it . . . I don't know if same rule applies now or not.]
The fees were put in a bill, and the chair established a groundrule that any motion to remove a fee increase without making up for it elsewhere would be ruled out of order and not entertained.

Since gun owners are a minority, the legislature can target this license fee with absolute safety and absolutely no risk of losing an election. It's part of the standard plan - convince everyone that each new tax will be paid by someone else and hope they are not looking, or are part of an uninfluential group, when they are the else de jour.

[Last time around the Legislative rules procedurally prevented a "decrease" from the recommended increase to $100. Jim Wallace can more eloquently explain it . . . I don't know if same rule applies now or not.]
The fees were put in a bill, and the chair established a groundrule that any motion to remove a fee increase without making up for it elsewhere would be ruled out of order and not entertained.

Since gun owners are a minority, the legislature can target this license fee with absolute safety and absolutely no risk of losing an election. It's part of the standard plan - convince everyone that each new tax will be paid by someone else and hope they are not looking, or are part of an uninfluential group, when they are the else de jour.

That's why we need to get more people into shooting, and firearms ownership and get the right people in office to represent us. It isn't an easy path, but it's definitely do-able.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we've been official lumped into the "Sin Tax" bunch with the smokers and the drinkers.

Cross-posted at NLB:

Keep in mind, despite the verbiage above, this is not about obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon, per se. This is a license to OWN a gun. If this law passes, it will cost the citizens of Massachusetts $200 to ask permission of the State to exercise their Constitutionally-protected right to keep a handgun in their homes.

If the applicant is denied (something the Chief of Police in his or her town can do for pretty much any reason he can dream up), the state gets to keep the 200 bucks.

Hey, those bodybuilding competition entry fees aren't going to pay themselves, you know.

Also, this bill would require a person from out-of-state to pay $250 a year for the ability to lawfully carry pepper spray or even possess one empty shell casing in Massachusetts. Got a job that's gonna have you commuting into Massachusetts for the next four years? Want to carry pepper spray while you're there?

That'll be $1,000 in licensing fees to carry a $10 can of pepper spray.

"Common sense".

And, because it bears repeating, don't forget that the people behind these outrageous fee hikes are the same "progressives" who will brand you a fascist if you suggest that people should be required to show a photo ID in order to cast a vote.

"What? That's the equivalent of a poll tax. You can't charge people to exercise a Constitutional right! That's racist! We must respect the rights of the poor!"

Sanctimonious, self-righteous pricks.

Back
Top Bottom