Gov. Baker prohibits reusable shopping bags during coronavirus emergency

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Part of new public health order regarding grocery stores and pharmacies

This has been a long time coming.

How would you like your kid, who bags groceries, to deal with finding soiled underwear and needles in these reusable shopping bags.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great, first they took my plastic bags and switched to paper. Then they took away the paper with handles to try and make use the reusable bags. Now that I have foreably got used to the reusable bags (which I wash BTW), they take those away. Bet they wont get handles back on the paper bags either.

napoleon1815

NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
The day they banned the much more useful plastic bags I said this would happen (that we would discover issues with reusables). Years ago I read about all the bacteria and diseases that live in those bags...plastic is a more sterile material. Too bad they aren’t bringing back plastic...paper bags are better but not a lot.

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At what point does the public get pissed enough to tell the government to go f' themselves. I can't believe that we have succumbed to the point that we can be told what type of bags we can and cannot use at a grocery store. I guess we all have to wait until the point that there is nothing left to lose. May be sooner than we think.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When my town banned plastic grocery bags you had a choice of bringing your reusable bag, which Baker just banned, or buying the store's paper bags for a nickel. Or if you want to watch the cashier's head explode bring in your old plastic bags that you got before they became illegal and hand them to the cashier. The best part is watching the other shoppers who see me carrying my groceries in the contraband bags.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They called the plastic bags that they just banned "single use bags", but they were anything but. They were great for taking lunches to work; for using to bring a change of clothes somewhere (and to take a dirty clothes change back home); or as trash liners for small trash cans @ home or work; or for pooper-scoopering your dog's (or cat's) shit and litter, that pissy clumpy rancid litter, etc....you could giftwrap it in plastic grocery bags and get rid of it. I estimate that unless used for shit-scooping, they were at least "triple use bags". Sometimes more. "Single use", my ass. (As long as you didn't use it for a lunch bag after it had held dog shit, you were good!)

And the reusables are just f***ing gross. Who the F*** knows if people store them next to a cat litter box or something, or in their laundry rooms, their shitters, etc. And then they toss them on the grocery store counter and cross-contaminate anything in the store where they place it, or things they touch. It's nasty.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my town banned plastic grocery bags you had a choice of bringing your reusable bag, which Baker just banned, or buying the store's paper bags for a nickel. Or if you want to watch the cashier's head explode bring in your old plastic bags that you got before they became illegal and hand them to the cashier. The best part is watching the other shoppers who see me carrying my groceries in the contraband bags.
Just tell the cashier "it's okay, they're pre-ban".

mkm

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m laughing so hard, I may choke.

When my city banned plastic bags, in protest, I purchased a case of 1000 online when my pre ban bags wore out; mostly to tick people off. The expressions I got and the sputtering as I explained the store couldn’t give me plastic... nothing in the law about bringing my own. I also have an old cat so they get reused too. Bonus!

I was caught off guard at the beginning when Pet Smart wanted to charge me a dime for a bag. The guy behind me was a little surprised when I opened my purse... shoved my big checkbook style wallet and sunglasses case in my waistband and my insulin and syringes in my bra... threw my RX cans in my now empty purse and grabbed my box of liter. “I’m taking my monthly order to Chewey. Screw the greenies.” The store is three blocks from my house, so I pass it coming and going a lot... never been back.

omega42

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m laughing so hard, I may choke.

When my city banned plastic bags, in protest, I purchased a case of 1000 online when my pre ban bags wore out; mostly to tick people off. The expressions I got and the sputtering as I explained the store couldn’t give me plastic... nothing in the law about bringing my own. I also have an old cat so they get reused too. Bonus!

I was caught off guard at the beginning when Pet Smart wanted to charge me a dime for a bag. The guy behind me was a little surprised when I opened my purse... shoved my big checkbook style wallet and sunglasses case in my waistband and my insulin and syringes in my bra... threw my RX cans in my now empty purse and grabbed my box of liter. “I’m taking my monthly order to Chewey. Screw the greenies.” The store is three blocks from my house, so I pass it coming and going a lot... never been back.
So Pet Smart wanted to sell you a dime bag?

arsco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At what point does the public get pissed enough to tell the government to go f' themselves. I can't believe that we have succumbed to the point that we can be told what type of bags we can and cannot use at a grocery store. I guess we all have to wait until the point that there is nothing left to lose. May be sooner than we think.
it wont happen. I assume at least 2/3 (completely made up amount) want and or need to be told what to do. The burden of actual, like near anarchy freedom, is too much for most people. They want to be fat and happy and living easy.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bring a bagfull of hoarded MB plastic bags to MB. The baggers love it, they miss the fast loading plastic bags. Who said they were one time use? Plus I have a dog.

Last edited:

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Massachusetts was at war with reusable shopping bags. Massachusetts has always been at war with reusable shopping bags.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bring a bagfull of hoarded MB plastic bags to MB. The baggers love it, they miss the flast loading plastic bags. Who said they were one time use? Plus I have a dog.
Exactly. These so called single use bags are reused by so many people. I found myself, and others, buying more plastic doggie poop bags, small waste basket bags, baby diaper disposal bags, etc...no decrease in plastic bags overall.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Well.................. we let them tell us we only can use a 10 round pez dispenser not a 30. We cant buy all pistols, we can only buy certain ones that they approve......it all starts there.

Next thing you know ........we can't use plastic bags and drink large sodas, use a fXcking straw...........and whatever else retarded bullshit comes down the line, so fxcking stupid that you can't even make it up. So fing stupid that people in other states shake their head and don't understand.

Like fxcking sheep we blindly pay taxes and let them tell us what to do..........my hope is people open their eyes to this bullshit...but honestly, as I get older......I think the population in general likes being told what to do and following rules like a bunch of cattle. I honestly think people get off on it, so they can whine and cry about others not following rules. Its fxcking disturbing.

Last edited:

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just got back from being in Portland, OR for the last month for a business trip, same thing...plastic is evil.
It was not amusing to find out they charge .05 for every paper bag if you don't bring your own.

Hopefully, this is the excuse to walk back a bad decision, or more likely the opening to start charging a nickel for every bag when the "crisis" is over.

Top Bottom