• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gould v O'Leary - Comm2A Carry Case v. Boston / Brookline

It seems we didn't start a thread for this even though it was filed a year ago. Gould v. O'Leary is the third right-to-carry case filed by Comm2A and targets Boston and Brookline. It got off to a slow start, probably because we still had Batty out there.

Boston has moved for judgement on the pleadings. A hearing is set for March.

Last edited:
[popcorn]

Isn't Boston lying in the response regarding the ability of the plaintiffs to own "high capacity magazines" by omitting the city's AWB which bans said rifle magazines? I also fail to see their claim of no due process or bias when the city insists on a non standard application form thereby preventing applicants from requesting an unrestricted license up front. They are really dancing around hoping the judge won't check their homework thoroughly.

Last edited:
It seems we didn't start a thread for this even though it was filed a year ago. Gould v. O'Leary is the third right-to-carry case filed by Comm2A and targets Boston and Brookline. It got off to a slow start, probably because we still had Batty out there.

Boston has moved for judgement on the pleadings. A hearing is set for March.

Why does the "factual and procedural background" say, "The holder of an unrestricted Class A license is entitled to possess high-capacity firearms and to carry
concealed firearms in public." when (as far as I know) "concealed" isn't part of any Mass. law.

Is that just so nobody gets freaked out about the potential for open carry?

Edit:

Nevermind... I just realized that the linked document was from Evans, not from Comm2A. Duh...

Last edited:
Why does the "factual and procedural background" say, "The holder of an unrestricted Class A license is entitled to possess high-capacity firearms and to carry
concealed firearms in public." when (as far as I know) "concealed" isn't part of any Mass. law.

Is that just so nobody gets freaked out about the potential for open carry?

Because an unrestricted LTC is required for concealment. They dancing around this idea, without saying it, that IF the Second Amendment protect the right to carry a gun outside the home, the plaintiffs can carry one openly. It's sort of a dare.

Because an unrestricted LTC is required for concealment. They dancing around this idea, without saying it, that IF the Second Amendment protect the right to carry a gun outside the home, the plaintiffs can carry one openly. It's sort of a dare.

Oh.. subtle...

Could that statement be used against them?

Here's the update: Boston has filed a motion to stay discovery pending the court's ruling on their motion for judgement on the pleadings. Yesterday we filed an opposition to Boston's attempt to stay (halt) discovery. There will be a hearing on this issue Friday.

You can download and read the motion here: Weng v. Evans.

Last edited:
Here's the update: Boston has filed a motion to stay discovery pending the court's ruling on their motion for judgement on the pleadings. Yesterday we filed an opposition to Boston's attempt to stay (halt) discovery. There will be a hearing on this issue Friday.

You can download and read the motion here: Gould v. O'Leary.
another small contribution inbound

I'm not optimistic on any lawsuit involving firearms in this State. The courts are populated with far left, anti-gun judges who were appointed to serve the far left agenda.

Sadly true. Even at USDC level, we're infested with them.

Yep. Gonna have to go Federale to get anywhere. :(

I guess you didn't even bother click the link!! [sad]

When Comm2A files a case, they do it in USDC. Not that those judges are much better than state flunkies.

While the full scope of the Second Amendment has yet to be determined in this circuit, First Circuit courts have nevertheless identified the core Second Amendment right of self defense in the home, and they have also plainly established certain conduct that is unprotected by the Second Amendment. Plaintiffs in the instant case contest restrictions on their licenses to Case 1:16-cv-10181-FDS Document 28 Filed 01/27/17 2 carry firearms (“licenses”), but even with these restrictions, Plaintiffs’ licenses fully protect their core Second Amendment rights. What is more, Plaintiffs assert a right to unrestricted Class A licenses, which would permit them to carry concealed firearms in public and possess highcapacity firearms. Courts have held that neither of these activities is protected by the Second Amendment.1

Therefore, although the scope of the Second Amendment outside the home, if any, has not been determined, case law provides sufficient ground upon which the Court can conclusively deny the Second Amendment claims in this case. Plaintiffs’ equal protection and due process arguments likewise fail for reasons described more fully below. Finally, none of Plaintiffs’ claims are ripe because there is no allegation that Plaintiffs have exhausted their remedies under Mass. Gen. Laws c. 140, § 131. For all these reasons, Commissioner Evans respectfully requests that the Court dismiss with prejudice all Plaintiffs’ claims against him.
"Dismiss with Prejudice" I believe means that the plaintiff has to pay his own legal fees.

"Dismiss with Prejudice" I believe means that the plaintiff has to pay his own legal fees.

I love how they ignore the fact that the courts have determined the second amendment covers keeping a functioning handgun in the home while denying a class A LTC does not just prevent them having "High capacity" guns it prevents all handgun possession.

I love how they ignore the fact that the courts have determined the second amendment covers keeping a functioning handgun in the home while denying a class A LTC does not just prevent them having "High capacity" guns it prevents all handgun possession.

Yeah, but they are lying to the courts that we can possess handguns in the home on an FID card...

Isn't there some way of making that obvious to a judge?

I hope so, thats kind of what I was poking at. The other side is omitting a bunch of stuff trying to get it slid past while alleging that an FID covers your rights even though it clearly doesn't. According to a quick google search you can have a handgun with an FID and purchase permit for the gun, but functionally that isn't a thing. May even be info from old outdated versions of the law.

Isn't there some way of making that obvious to a judge?

When a 6 yr old really, really wants candy and they are in the candy aisle, is there anything they won't say to get some candy? These judges really want to rule against us and they are being showered in candy.

When a 6 yr old really, really wants candy and they are in the candy aisle, is there anything they won't say to get some candy? These judges really want to rule against us and they are being showered in candy.

The judge is being fed a bowl of shit and being lied to that it is ice cream. They should be furious about having their intelligence insulted by the blatant misrepresentation peddled by the defense.

The judge is being fed a bowl of shit and being lied to that it is ice cream. They should be furious about having their intelligence insulted by the blatant misrepresentation peddled by the defense.

Nope. Agenda and politics in this state/circuit trumps the constitution and your rights if it has anything to do with 2A. when will you learn?

Here's a curious scenario -

An induhvidual (reference from DNRC) is arrested for possession of a handgun with a FID (wordo corrected). Rather than take the plea bargain, he going to trial and uses the entrapment by estoppel defense arguing that the Boston PD's testimony in court transcripts he has read constitutes a representation from a state law enforcement official that said possession is legal under MA law.

------------------

A trick the courts like to pull is "An LTC is not protected because it grants privileges beyond the Heller protected rights", while ignoring that an LTC is the minimum license necessary to exercise those rights.

The state courts have also held that denial of a license is an administrative burden, not a punitive one, and therefore not covered by the 2A.

Last edited:
Here's a curious scenario -

An induhvidual (reference from DNRC) is arrested for possession of a handgun with a LTC. Rather than take the plea bargain, he going to trial and uses the entrapment by estoppel defense arguing that the Boston PD's testimony in court transcripts he has read constitutes a representation from a state law enforcement official that said possession is legal under MA law.

------------------

A trick the courts like to pull is "An LTC is not protected because it grants privileges beyond the Heller protected rights", while ignoring that an LTC is the minimum license necessary to exercise those rights.

The state courts have also held that denial of a license is an administrative burden, not a punitive one, and therefore not covered by the 2A.
We know Ma. does not recognize that the 2nd Amendment guarantee's the right to possess firearms for self defense. Libs seem to think the Cops they hate will protect them from the bad guys.

Back
Top Bottom