• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is there gouging going on? You bet!
2. I see it everyday- dealing with my distributors.
3. Distributors, Importers & Dealers are all checking the internet daily to see how much they can get based on the auction sites. And they adjust prices accordingly. The only ones I've seen that have not done this on the Manufacturer level is Bushmaster, Glock, Sig, & Colt.

Bushmaster & Colt prices are driven by the Distributors & Dealers. Some of these Distributors raise prices knowing that some greedy dealers are making record profits on the "supply & demand" aspect. The worse one I've seen is Lew Horton in Mass. For example: They are selling WASR-10's to dealers at retail prices - you end up getting shafted hard by a dealer that buys from them. The other day - a Lew Horton Salesman offered me Colt 6920's for 25.00 more than my retail of 1,550.00 & WASR-10's for $50.00 over my retail!! I actually felt bad for him "after my laughter stopped" - and he said that he gets abused over the phone all day long - guy needs a job,and can't do squat about his employers gouging.

PS: Stop buying from these people if they are gouging, and one of two things will happen.
#1. They will fold
#2. They will drop prices
Look what happened with gasoline when people started cutting back!

So I guess the best thing to do is to wait this out - I'm sure when the supply gets back up to speed - prices will have to come down. One thing that you should never forget is: Remember the ones that are screwing you now - when they're begging for your business down the road...my frustrated .02 worth as a dealer.... I wish you Mass folks didn't have your own ban [angry] - because I just got a boatload of new evil guns in.
Jim

Thanks for providing a reasonable opinon, it's appreciated. I think I balance between understanding the market of supply and demand, being aggrivated by the gougers, and looking over my shoulder full well knowing that the Administration is going to try to lower the boom in the next six months.

Hey Ed, have another beer and just understand that I'm not motivated enough to continue any more dialogue with you. Let me suggest that you find another thread to share your peculiar brand of insight with tonight?

Don't worry, 6k of Eddies 7K+ posts are
"Oh great another____ thread".

then he locks them when he gets tired of reading. Its the troubled life of a Mod

Much like the "panic" buyers clamoring for EBR's before a ban, I want in on this thread prior to the lockdown.[wink]

I don't see prices coming down.

If you want something then save your money and buy it.

If you can't afford it then move on, someone else will eventually buy it.

I'm about to pay $300 more for an AR than I would have last summer. Oops. I made a mistake not buying earlier and I'm paying for it. Oh well.......

FirefoxScreenSnapz001.jpg

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and evry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

I see them coming down a little, but not returning to last years prices. At the time, for me it wasn't that I procrastinated, I opted instead to buy the .45, with the AP-4 a distant dream. With the pistol now paid off, the goal is the rifle.
A logical, disciplined, step by step process. And as I said earlier, selling some stuff to raise capital.

In the meantime, I watch, I wait, and glance backward.

FirefoxScreenSnapz001.jpg

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and evry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

Great. It isn't often you see two a**holes on a horse, but duly noted. Either your job is to continue carrying the gasoline can next to the fire until it goes off or provide a muted sense of amusement with your rapier graphic prowess. Which is it btw. [thinking] You'll note I'm staying with the low cost smiley icons provided in the cheap seats.

Hey Ed, have another beer and just understand that I'm not motivated enough to continue any more dialogue with you. Let me suggest that you find another thread to share your peculiar brand of insight with tonight?

It's obvious that motivation isn't your strong suit.

You're new here, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you. I really don't.

I seem to have greatly offended you, and that was not my intent (at the time). Since you're new, you probably don't realize that the phrase "Cool! Another (fill in the blank) thread" is commonly used as a gentle ribbing to indicate when something has been "done before" several times. I've had it done to me (a bunch of times). Start a cat thread, and I'll do it to you again.

The reason I posted my comment (that seems to have offended you) is that your's is not the first thread (nor the second, third, fourth, etc) to whine about the high prices of gun-related items. Since the election, the price for everything gun related has gone through the friggin' roof. Guns, ammo, primers, powder, bullets - you name it, if you can even find them, the price is exorbitant. You made a good observation - shit costs more. Many of us got that already, some of us posted here to complain about it.

Since the prices are so high, one can do three things:
  1. Pay for what you want, and get it while you can.
  2. Wait it out, and hope that prices go down before any ban.
  3. Whine like a little bitch.

You picked number three. Seriously - it's been done before a bunch of times.

Don't worry, 6k of Eddies 7K+ posts are
"Oh great another____ thread".

then he locks them when he gets tired of reading. Its the troubled life of a Mod

Why do you feel the need to call me out? Do you not think I contribute something useful here every once in a while? I hope you reply, because I'd like to know. Do you really think 6/7ths of my posts are not helpful?

Great. It isn't often you see two a**holes on a horse, but duly noted. Either your job is to continue carrying the gasoline can next to the fire until it goes off or provide a muted sense of amusement with your rapier graphic prowess. Which is it btw. [thinking] You'll note I'm staying with the low cost smiley icons provided in the cheap seats.

May I suggest the following reading:

http://tinyurl.com/capvte

Welcome to the forum Dirigoboy. Play nice, & find yourself a sense of humor. You'll go further that way.

Being new here myself

I just discovered the "search option" and entered "gouging" [rofl] I guess it has been done before!

I learn something everyday - today it was using the search key to see what's hiding in here [rolleyes]

I've met Eddie Coyle - he's a good guy dude!

I bet being a Moderator would drive me friggen nuts as they read all the post to see if they are breaking the rules. That hassssss to suck!

Welcome to the forum Dirigoboy. Play nice, & find yourself a sense of humor. You'll get further that way.

+1. Welcome Dirigoboy and please realize nobody here is actively trying to insult you, we're all just a bit overly fraternal at times. EddieCoyle can be a bit on the gruff side with his ribbing, but he's a good man and an excellent mod.

Sure, I'll answer.
I'm new here....but like many, I'm not new to forums in general, nor those who flame, troll, etc. etc. And agreed, we seemed to have started off on the wrong foot, but if you happen to go back and read your post, you began our acquaintance with what Eddie? Sarcasm. You weren't the first one tonight, but you were the last straw I think.

I came to this website because I thought I was among those who shared a commonality in thought and concern. I don't know you or your style......rather hard to do with email agreed? You can't discern intent, nor emotion, a gibe, nor the twinkle in someone's eye. All you have is what you read in front of you.

So, with that said, now weigh the difference between your first comment tonight and your last. Which was more effective do you think?
And trust me, I'm no ball buster. Like many, I'd like to think I possess a a fairly keen wit of my own. On those occasions when I feel that it's stepped over a boundary and I'm being challenged or provoked, in all honesty, I'm going to respond to a point and if it continues beyond that I'll no longer respond.

So Ed....you have my apology since I offended you.

Last edited:
+1. Welcome Dirigoboy and please realize nobody here is actively trying to insult you, we're all just a bit overly fraternal at times. EddieCoyle can be a bit on the gruff side with his ribbing, but he's a good man and an excellent mod.

Ha. Much obliged amigo, but if you don't mind I'll keep using my jab a wee bit longer until we're all bleedin' sufficiently enough to want to quit. Good on ya.

No offense taken. I'm more pissed at the clowns that thought I'd ban you. Godspeed Dirigoboy.

Go Green and come to shoot. I'll make you forget about the economy (or anything else except the condition of your wrist bones).

Why do you feel the need to call me out? Do you not think I contribute something useful here every once in a while? I hope you reply, because I'd like to know. Do you really think 6/7ths of my posts are not helpful?

I haven't read all 7796 of your post, so it was a guess.

Do I find your posts helpful, to me...No. For the board, yes.

I do read long threads waiting for you to either post what you did here or just lock them, seems to happen a lot, but its Derek’s board and he has chosen how he wants to run it, which is fine by me. You have a tough job on the board and the only thanks you seem to get is the nut hangers that gush over your guns, the .500 loads or your love for cats. I can't blame you for that, but they are a little tiring.

So here is my problem, we have a new poster, not the friendliest guy, posts about something we all have battled about in the past, many times over. You drop a subtle hint that he would never get, things go downhill. But you have the same dozen posters that post useless shit about their lives, stupid random articles or whatever random thought that seems to go through their head. And nothing is done, no one is reined in

Now back to your usefulness.

I think you have a lot of useful info that you could provide to new shooters and to many people on this board, but since you have to spend your time do this and wading the 95% crap posted here, that usefulness to the board is wasted.

My solution, tell the dozen or so posters that post the most useless crap to stop, your job would be easier and info would be easier to find

Welcome to the forum Dirigoboy. Play nice, & find yourself a sense of humor. You'll go further that way.

What......you didn't think that was funny Dub-man? Afraid it ain't original.....rather an old line directed at cav. I mean, since he's a Mountie and all. Alas, I failed.

Stop. Please. The horse is now glue.

I get it, we all get it, you are intelligent, well spoken and enjoy a good argument. Me too. This argument is no longer good, or, productive for that matter.

I raise the motion that we all move on.

Do I hear any answers to the affirmative?

Ha. Much obliged amigo, but if you don't mind I'll keep using my jab a wee bit longer until we're all bleedin' sufficiently enough to want to quit. Good on ya.

Yes, of course, ignore the advice of one of the most sage individuals on this forum. Choose to keep swinging away until you perceive you've "won" and proven that you are superior to all other members. And as a brand new person choose to do things your own way and ask members to abdicate the social norms this site has had for a long time.

Yup, this makes a lot of sense. Kinda like walking into a new bar and calling out the regulars. Regulars that know and support one another.

EC was being himself. I was adding some good ol' humor, as were others, and as it has been done on this forum many times. it is the way of NES.

And you resort to name calling and insults and calling out some of the most senior and valuable members here.

Makes as much sense as a sneaker full of shit.

Free market and capitalism at work. Enjoy it while you can, if Obama has his way you'll be waiting in line for the government approved and assigned vehicles and everything else. That is if you "qualify" for such a thing comrade.

Edit: FYI there is some internet sarcasm imbedded in that post. Except about the free market part, dead serious about that!

Last edited:
Yes, of course, ignore the advice of one of the most sage individuals on this forum. Choose to keep swinging away until you perceive you've "won" and proven that you are superior to all other members. And as a brand new person choose to do things your own way and ask members to abdicate the social norms this site has had for a long time.

Yup, this makes a lot of sense. Kinda like walking into a new bar and calling out the regulars. Regulars that know and support one another.

EC was being himself. I was adding some good ol' humor, as were others, and as it has been done on this forum many times. it is the way of NES.

And you resort to name calling and insults and calling out some of the most senior and valuable members here.

Makes as much sense as a sneaker full of shit.

He's your brother-in-law is he? [shocked] Ha......that's ok bud. Seriously, I really don't have an interest in any further verbal gymnastics ok? Why don't we just drop the unpleasantries.

All this verbage!, only to find out that my thread was not only insignificant, it's been beaten to death like a dead hor....oops....I mean, mule. I'll be back, I gotta get a nitro pill......

I haven't read all 7796 of your post, so it was a guess.

Do I find your posts helpful, to me...No. For the board, yes.

I do read long threads waiting for you to either post what you did here or just lock them, seems to happen a lot, but its Derek’s board and he has chosen how he wants to run it, which is fine by me. You have a tough job on the board and the only thanks you seem to get is the nut hangers that gush over your guns, the .500 loads or your love for cats. I can't blame you for that, but they are a little tiring.

So here is my problem, we have a new poster, not the friendliest guy, posts about something we all have battled about in the past, many times over. You drop a subtle hint that he would never get, things go downhill. But you have the same dozen posters that post useless shit about their lives, stupid random articles or whatever random thought that seems to go through their head. And nothing is done, no one is reined in

Now back to your usefulness.

I think you have a lot of useful info that you could provide to new shooters and to many people on this board, but since you have to spend your time do this and wading the 95% crap posted here, that usefulness to the board is wasted.

My solution, tell the dozen or so posters that post the most useless crap to stop, your job would be easier and info would be easier to find

Good post. I gave you a +whatever for it.

I'd like to shoot with you sometime. If that's really you in your masturbatory avatar (and I mean that in the nicest of ways) I can learn something from you; and I always like to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom