Gouge in slide

So first of all I’m an idiot. I have a ruger sr1911 that I was trying to put a pair of night sights on. I didn’t have a set of pads to put on my vise so I figured I would use some towels to act as the padding and because I was impatient and didn’t use the the right tools, I have a nice gouge in my slide. So angry with myself.

i was really worried I completely screwed the gun up but I ran about 150ish rounds through it at the range this weekend and it ran fine.

anyone have any tips on how to repair the gouge? Part of me feels like doing a little jb weld to fill up n the gouge, sand it out and then getting it refinished.

im sure I’m not the only idiot out there that’s done something like this.

thanks in advance

I feel for you since you are not the only one of us that has had a similar experience botching something up rushing and not using the proper equipment! o_O

You’ll never get it to match touching it up yourself. If you’re really concerned, get it refinished. I once dropped a newly finished gun, in the parking lot of a gun shop, walking out of the store. I was too embarrassed to tell them. [rofl]#Northeastarms

Digicam cerakote

Or, find a hardened block or pin , a small hammer and use the block to work the damaged area.

Me, id put it in a mill and put a nice full length ball cut or radius on the edge.

thankfully you didn't do that to a beretta slide. i might have a seizure.

It’s a tool
just shoot it

^this
1911's carry nicely
shoot it, carry it, thrash the damn thing
when you cannot tell the gouge apart from the rest of the wear, then you've succeeded...at which point maybe bead blast and cerakote it, but dropping such $$ into a ruger is bordering on a fools errand

sharpie, nail polish, something to protect the metal.

It is like the first scratch in a new car... once the first one is there the rest don't matter much....

If anything it will give you a reason to upgrade the slide ... Caspian perhaps?

thankfully you didn't do that to a beretta slide. i might have a seizure.

A friend dropped his Beretta maybe an inch onto a glass scale and dinged it. It wasn't even a sharp edge or anything. He couldn't have done that if he tried, but there it was. :D It makes for a good story.

I might be the other guy. My Officers model is slide worn, holster worn, nicked, scratched, burnished from camping and canoeing, dropped a few times, bounced around a bullseye box that bounced of my dashboard, and dropped by a lady (yes she was hot), mud impacted when I took a slide down a hillside. To anyone else it’s ugly. To me it’s memories.

The nice thing is once you can get past this all future rings and scrapes hurt way less...

Back
Top Bottom