• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got to play in the snow today, M1 "accuracy and targeting"

mac1911

NES Member
Well today I had a chance at a little range trip. Short but productive.
I did some accuracy testing on my M1 and I also got a chance to sling some cast loads from the No.4 Mk.II
The No.4 was nothing more than a "what powder I wont be using" test. Not a much of anything to write about.

Although the M1 did pretty well. I used the "targeting diagram" drawing D7266850
The short of it a overhauled M1 is good enough for GI if it puts 5 consectutive shots with in the heavy outlined rectangle and those 5 shots are 1.77" or less group @ 1000" (inches)
Front sight centered, rear windage centered, elevation up 8 clicks from bottom. Target is at 1000" INCHES or 83'4". I measured it out the best I could.
2+' of snow gusty wind and cold about 10'F this morning. I shot the 1st 8 rounds 1972HXP same stuff I been testing with for a while now.

Im happt to say this rifle passed easily 1000.jpg 8 shots in there.

The manual says to take 3 warm up shots then the 5 shot group. I just dumped the 8 rounds.

How do you get bigger pictures ?
Moved out to 50 and was getting solid 2.5" groups. I was shooting from a rifle rest.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad you were able to sneak out to the range. You were a lot braver than me haha.

I know I won't be going for a little while with this snow. Might have to just shoot 22 indoors or some plated 44 spl, 38 spl, and 9mm rounds.

Did you get to shoot any of the HXP 303? Or did you not get to meet him yet today?

Nice! Glad you were able to sneak out to the range. You were a lot braver than me haha.

I know I won't be going for a little while with this snow. Might have to just shoot 22 indoors or some plated 44 spl, 38 spl, and 9mm rounds.

Did you get to shoot any of the HXP 303? Or did you not get to meet him yet today?

I don't get out often so I don't care what the weather is like. I hate indoor shooting. I will stay home and shoot the pelguns before I shoot indoors.

No did not meet up yet. I will try and get over to his house Sunday.
Andrew thanks again for that. We have to go to a garand match at the same time. I owe you something for that....

I don't get out often so I don't care what the weather is like. I hate indoor shooting. I will stay home and shoot the pelguns before I shoot indoors.

No did not meet up yet. I will try and get over to his house Sunday.
Andrew thanks again for that. We have to go to a garand match at the same time. I owe you something for that....

I hate indoor shooting too. I think it's been close to 2 years since I shot indoors. I just know I'm going to have withdrawals from not going shooting from this damn snow haha.

It was no problem really. Just order it and ship it to my coworkers house. Just had to give him some beer. But from now on I'm just going to ship to my moms house in Manchester.

But yeah I'll really try to make one of the upcoming CMP clinics/matches.

Nice you got out.

I get crap from some other club members when I shoot on cold winter days. The last time I did was last year and it was 10F I shot some WWII and current guns. A couple members were working on a club house and asked what was wrong with me for being out there. I told them of the soldiers did it I could too. One said. "They didn't have a choice".

This was the day.

image_zps8bc7b4ef.jpg

Nice you got out.

I get crap from some other club members when I shoot on cold winter days. The last time I did was last year and it was 10F I shot some WWII and current guns. A couple members were working on a club house and asked what was wrong with me for being out there. I told them of the soldiers did it I could too. One said. "They didn't have a choice".

This was the day.

image_zps8bc7b4ef.jpg

My great uncle was 10th mountain div. Had many stories of how cold it was. He would often say the only thing that worked in that cold was the garand. He liked the 1911 also. So every time I feel like it's too cold I'm humbled by his stories.

Received a PM for 100 yd dimensions for the target.
This is not a zeroing target. This is a target to see if the rifle/sights fall with in specs. The rifle is to be final zeroed by the shooter.
100 yard dimensions
Sighting Image/black half bull= 5"
Out line boundary= 11.6"w X 17.6"t
You hold will be front sight touching the flat of the aiming black
Your 5 shot group should be 5.6" or less and fall with in the 11x17 rectangle.

Last edited:
I told them of the soldiers did it I could too. One said. "They didn't have a choice".

[/IMG]

I was in the Army National guard for 4 years and on active duty in the Army for 6. I did time in Germany and Fort Drum New York when it was home of the 10th mountain in 1990s.. I was used to being cold in the woods.. I left the army in 1991.

I remember taking the dog to the bathroom with my first civilian job near Binghamton NY. The dog was doing his thing and then it dawned on me. As soon as the dog is done, I have a choice! I don't have to stay out here freezing my ARSE.

it sounds silly but it was a revelation that I would never be cold again unless it was by my choice.....

as for cold and bad weather......... I go shooting when the chance presents its self. I dont get to choose the good weather to go. Wife works nights every weekend and 3 young kids to young to shoot.....so when I can go I go.

Back
Top Bottom