Got the ok to purchase camper- recommendations.

Even if you’re buying new, go through it with a fine tooth comb. Bought a new travel trailer in 2021. Dealer and I both missed that the fridge wasn’t wired in. Complete PITA to resolve.

As for tow ratings - aim for 80% of what your truck can handle.

As for fifth wheels. Whoo boy. It’s easy enough to run through floor plans for the big manufacturers - Jayco, Coachmen, Grand Design, the Forest River conglomerate, Thor industries etc. then watch YouTube reviews of models you like. Josh the RV nerd is pretty good in that regard. Most of the 2023 models have some level of solar and many have tankless hot water heaters etc

Have fun shopping!

My sister had a 5th wheel, and a couple people I know back in Cali have them.. They key is to have reservations because places fill up really quick.. Like they would have to make reservations a year in advance for popular places, forget about spontaneous trips.. I would imagine New England with it's short vacation season is even worse given the lack of national forests and places to move your camper to.

Always figured a camper like that would be good if I was retired and can park for a few months like Alan in one of the previous posts.. Other than that, spending $80k on a portable house that you can use 3 weeks a year and have to store it the rest of the time doesn't make much sense to me.

Although I am jealous that OP has that much disposable income to even consider such a luxury:)

My sister had a 5th wheel, and a couple people I know back in Cali have them.. They key is to have reservations because places fill up really quick.. Like they would have to make reservations a year in advance for popular places, forget about spontaneous trips.. I would imagine New England with it's short vacation season is even worse given the lack of national forests and places to move your camper to.

Always figured a camper like that would be good if I was retired and can park for a few months like Alan in one of the previous posts.. Other than that, spending $80k on a portable house that you can use 3 weeks a year and have to store it the rest of the time doesn't make much sense to me.

Although I am jealous that OP has that much disposable income to even consider such a luxury:)
F that. My idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service

In my experience camper people (unless the tiny ones) are not campers. My new camper has a kitchen island and a fireplace it's not camping. But we can drive everywhere on a golf cart and take out the boat or jet ski. Or snowmobile for winter season. That's why heated underbelly and tanks are important.
It is a fun escape place

the big manufacturers - Jayco, Coachmen, Grand Design, the Forest River conglomerate, Thor industries etc.
OP…don’t buy ANY of these brands. Complete and utter f***ing garbage.

@bob6180 this is NOT to offend you at all, so please don’t take it that way. I look at hundreds of these every week and the majority of ALL the brands available are the same level of dog shit.

Have fun shopping!
OP…don’t do it, lol.

It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘new toy’ that’s $100k…it’s invigorating…euphoric even.

Buy something quality and you’ll actually be able to enjoy it instead of dealing with a**h***s like me when the inevitable repairs come down the pike in 2 or 3 years because of shoddy build quality.

So are you planning on long term trips (months at a time on the road)?
Leaving it at a site throughout the season?
Cold weather camping or will it be winterized and stored?
You mentioned 4 people if your kids go with, is that the max? If just two people most of the time and occasional visitors is much easier than 4 people all the time (Obviously, but it requires a lot less camper).
And the big one, Budget? If lower budget, and only you and the wife most of the time just doing weekend to shorter trips, you may be better off getting a smaller unit with less amenities that is better quality than something huge with every option you don't need that is going to have poor build quality and constant problems.
Either way, you need to leave room in your budget to outfit and "make yours" whatever you buy and make any mods to your truck.

In my experience camper people (unless the tiny ones) are not campers. My new camper has a kitchen island and a fireplace it's not camping. But we can drive everywhere on a golf cart and take out the boat or jet ski. Or snowmobile for winter season. That's why heated underbelly and tanks are important.
It is a fun escape place

You are correct, they are not campers.

They are movers :)

OP…don’t buy ANY of these brands. Complete and utter f***ing garbage.

@bob6180 this is NOT to offend you at all, so please don’t take it that way. I look at hundreds of these every week and the majority of ALL the brands available are the same level of dog shit.

OP…don’t do it, lol.

It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘new toy’ that’s $100k…it’s invigorating…euphoric even.

Buy something quality and you’ll actually be able to enjoy it instead of dealing with a**h***s like me when the inevitable repairs come down the pike in 2 or 3 years because of shoddy build quality.

What would you recommend for a triple slide fifth wheel 30’-35’?

I was leaning toward a Destination.

We had a 2018 Rockwood and it was great but the 21 and 22’s were built like garbage.

Bob

What would you recommend for a triple slide fifth wheel 30’-35’?

I was leaning toward a Destination.

We had a 2018 Rockwood and it was great but the 21 and 22’s were built like garbage.

Bob
I’ll preface the following comment with the note that I hate 5th wheels the worst out of any of them. They flex like crazy due to the design and the typical lack of reinforcement where the pin box meets the belt line/frame.

That being said, you won’t find better design and quality than Winnebago in that department.

Whatever you do, DON’T get a 5th wheel toy hauler. The design simply isn’t up to the task of carrying the load people put on these and they’re plagued with problems in the first few years of ownership.

I’ll preface the following comment with the note that I hate 5th wheels the worst out of any of them. They flex like crazy due to the design and the typical lack of reinforcement where the pin box meets the belt line/frame.

That being said, you won’t find better design and quality than Winnebago in that department.

Whatever you do, DON’T get a 5th wheel toy hauler. The design simply isn’t up to the task of carrying the load people put on these and they’re plagued with problems in the first few years of ownership.

Thanks for the quick reply.
It’s just me and the wife so no bunk house or toy hauler. Most of my “toys” reside in safes😜.

We have done the pop-out ends, small travel trailer, and large travel trailer. It’s time for a fifth wheel. I can’t handle humping the WDH anymore. The fifth wheel hitch can sit in the bed for the season.

How do the Alliance fifth wheels compare?

How do the Alliance fifth wheels compare?
Better than most of the larger manufacturers. Definitely more fit and finish/quality oriented, but still nowhere near the experience in design as Winnebago.

The main area of concern is where the roof and front cap meet the sidewall this area flexes so much, the sealant fails within a couple of years of road use. Most repair facilities will do a half assed job cleaning up the old sealant, if they even bother doing that…then reapply and call it a day. Make sure when you have your fifth wheel roof serviced that this area and across the front cap transition molding are done correctly.

Other areas of concern are where the slideouts go in to the body of the cabin. If there are leaks from the flexing above these areas, it’s game over for your 5th wheel. The structural supports (kiln dried 2x4’s) will rot and the colon will crack.

The other guy that recommended spending time looking at your camper before you buy it is spot on. Spend HOURS looking over everything. TEST everything. Check the fit and finish. Open all the cabinets and look for any areas they might be hiding something they screwed up while putting it together…it will be evident if something has been ham and egged. See if the dealership will loan you a repair tech for a few hours so you don’t have some slimy sales dickhead salivating over his commission while you’re trying to make sure you’re getting what you’re paying for.

Better than most of the larger manufacturers. Definitely more fit and finish/quality oriented, but still nowhere near the experience in design as Winnebago.

The main area of concern is where the roof and front cap meet the sidewall this area flexes so much, the sealant fails within a couple of years of road use. Most repair facilities will do a half assed job cleaning up the old sealant, if they even bother doing that…then reapply and call it a day. Make sure when you have your fifth wheel roof serviced that this area and across the front cap transition molding are done correctly.

Other areas of concern are where the slideouts go in to the body of the cabin. If there are leaks from the flexing above these areas, it’s game over for your 5th wheel. The structural supports (kiln dried 2x4’s) will rot and the colon will crack.

The other guy that recommended spending time looking at your camper before you buy it is spot on. Spend HOURS looking over everything. TEST everything. Check the fit and finish. Open all the cabinets and look for any areas they might be hiding something they screwed up while putting it together…it will be evident if something has been ham and egged. See if the dealership will loan you a repair tech for a few hours so you don’t have some slimy sales dickhead salivating over his commission while you’re trying to make sure you’re getting what you’re paying for.

Thanks for the information and detailed reply.

I had a Trail lite that leaked and I had to rebuild 75% of the floor. It was a bitch of a job and I learned a helluva lot about how they are put together.

After that I took a day twice a year to inspect the roof and the other seals on the slides and body panels. Sadly most people don’t have a clue about how to take care of them.

Thanks for the information and detailed reply.

I had a Trail lite that leaked and I had to rebuild 75% of the floor. It was a bitch of a job and I learned a helluva lot about how they are put together.

After that I took a day twice a year to inspect the roof and the other seals on the slides and body panels. Sadly most people don’t have a clue about how to take care of them.
Anything with the name ‘lite’ in it should be left at the factory!

So the wife finally gave to ok to look at campers. I have the option for fifth wheel as the 2015 ram we picked up has the ball in the bed. Generally it's the wife and I, but one of the older kids and their GF will tag along. Any suggestions or what to stay away from?
I don't think anyone commented on this yet, but "ball in the bed" is for a gooseneck, which is not the same thing as a fifth wheel.

I thought the market on these things was falling dramatically. But I guess like everything else if it went up 35% and just down 15% its still up 20%. I see a lot of boats and ATV's around now....
feel like the market for this shit is going to tank.

No offense to you camper guys,.....The only time I'd think about buying a camper is probably when I retire to have a cheap place to stay up here on a buddy's lot.

I can't rationalize the price of the gas, the truck, the camper and then still have to pay to stay. That big outlay is too much unless your using it a lot. If I was retired I might
look at it differently.

I could still see doing some tent camping.....wife wouldn't do it. But for hunting and stuff, I'd be into it. Some tents at Cabelas were on 1/3 price discount last time I was in there.

I thought the market on these things was falling dramatically. But I guess like everything else if it went up 35% and just down 15% its still up 20%.

No offense to you camper guys,.....The only time I'd think about buying a camper is probably when I retire to have a cheap place to stay up here on a buddy's lot.

I can't rationalize the price of the gas, the truck, the camper and then still have to pay to stay. That big outlay is too much unless your using it a lot. If I was retired I might
look at it differently.

There is one HUGE killer app for campers. You have a dog or dogs, and the dogs have to go with you. Either because you want them to go with you, or you can't leave the dogs with
someone competent or dont want to pay for it, which to do it properly is expensive. Dog friendly motels/hotels are a huuuuuuuuuge pain in the ass. One of my coworkers basically has his camper because of this, because when he road trips hes sick of having to call 48 different places that will accomodate his two different large frame dogs and all the stupid restrictions they place on them (or sometimes, additional fees etc).

ETA2: I thought about it myself, but for an individual or even a couple w/no dogs, with the way that campground slot fees are the money never works out well for the amount I'd use it. It's like reloading bulk 5.56, you're not going to make out unless you've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds. Or unless its a weird place where you can stash a camper for little or nothing compared to the median hotel price in the area. (like you say, a friends yard or lot or something).

81689BDC-7929-4516-B3EA-3BA530115FEA.jpegE5228721-B27F-4B75-BA2F-6F7F6C3488EE.jpeg068AA65E-D9E4-4C4A-A9DA-8557CA86A1A6.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my coworkers basically has his camper because of this, because when he road trips hes sick of having to call 48 different places that will accommodate his two different large frame dogs and all the stupid restrictions they place on them (or sometimes, additional fees etc).
FIFY

Back
Top Bottom