Got the ok to purchase camper- recommendations.

Angryceltic

NES Member
So the wife finally gave to ok to look at campers. I have the option for fifth wheel as the 2015 ram we picked up has the ball in the bed. Generally it's the wife and I, but one of the older kids and their GF will tag along. Any suggestions or what to stay away from?

Last time I checked a couple of years ago, campgrounds were at least $100/night. Good luck with reservations and dealing with neighbors at the campgrounds. They looked to me like trailer parks of sardines packed in a can. Restrooms are fun when the campers steal all the TP.

Consider buying a boat in a floating trailer park, a marina

So I notice you are in Holyoke, whatever you get make sure to keep it locked so you don't end up with hookers and/or people shooting up in there...

Are you looking at new or used? Don't even consider used over 2-3 years old unless you are very handy.

So the wife finally gave to ok to look at campers. I have the option for fifth wheel as the 2015 ram we picked up has the ball in the bed. Generally it's the wife and I, but one of the older kids and their GF will tag along. Any suggestions or what to stay away from?
They are all crap.
If you have a RAM look close at the ratings. Very easy to exceed and overload

if this is a 5th wheel, it probably will be expensive and more like a motor home than a camper. but it's recommended that before you buy used, hire a professional inspector to go over it. it will be expensive but better than buying one that has issues like a leaking roof and happy stuff like that. every vid i watched on buying one of these per-owned...this inspector thing was common in all of them.

The camping show is this weekend so that might be a good way to get your feet wet and see what is out there.

As @Admin said, the prices skyrocketed with Covid. 30-40% what was a$50k fifth wheel is 75k. We were in the market but what was on the lots was true crap.c moulding falling off, cabinets not tight to the walls, and on and on. The quality was truly awful. Much worse than the average poor quality.

We have been camping for 30 years and really enjoyed it. We ended up walking away and not buying anything last year.

As @CATI and @greencobra mentioned, what Ram do you have?

You need to understand the weight ratings. Truck salesmen will tell you that your truck will pull Mount Everest and trailer salesmen will tell you that your Ram 1500 will pull a 30k fifth wheel. You will run out of payload long before you reach your towing capacity.

You must REALLY UNDERSTAND CCC (payload) , GVWR, GCVWR, FGAWR, RGAWR, and Tongue weight or Pin weight. CAT scales are your friend.

Bob

What is your budget and what is your expected mission? Those two questions will answer what you should be looking at.

I spend summers in my camper that’s parked permanently in a campground in CT. Been in that campground for 15 years or so, with three different campers.

which means that i have some personal experience plus what my friends say about their campers.

With covid prices skyrocketed because it was one of the few things you could do. At same time construction quality went downhill. So new was crap and used were expensive.

Market is returning to normal but like everything else is still recovering.

As others have said - check specs carefully, pay for a qualified inspector, don’t trust the salesperson. Go find RV forums and lurk.

Lastly, be prepared to work on it yourself, service departments for RVs are really hit or miss.

The camping show is this weekend so that might be a good way to get your feet wet and see what is out there.

As @Admin said, the prices skyrocketed with Covid. 30-40% what was a$50k fifth wheel is 75k. We were in the market but what was on the lots was true crap.c moulding falling off, cabinets not tight to the walls, and on and on. The quality was truly awful. Much worse than the average poor quality.

We have been camping for 30 years and really enjoyed it. We ended up walking away and not buying anything last year.

As @CATI and @greencobra mentioned, what Ram do you have?

You need to understand the weight ratings. Truck salesmen will tell you that your truck will pull Mount Everest and trailer salesmen will tell you that your Ram 1500 will pull a 30k fifth wheel. You will run out of payload long before you reach your towing capacity.

You must REALLY UNDERSTAND CCC (payload) , GVWR, GCVWR, FGAWR, RGAWR, and Tongue weight or Pin weight. CAT scales are your friend.

Bob
Ram is a 2500 quad cab Big horn.

So I notice you are in Holyoke, whatever you get make sure to keep it locked so you don't end up with hookers and/or people shooting up in there...

Are you looking at new or used? Don't even consider used over 2-3 years old unless you are very handy.
I guess new or used depends on if we like it.

Ram is a 2500 quad cab Big horn.

The trailer life towing guide is a good reference.

This may surprise you with a pretty limiting number
Take 20-25% for pin weight of the fifth wheel
Post a picture of the door sticker (payload)

Truth.

Take the truck, fill the fuel tank, load the family, and take to a CAT scale and see what you weigh…… and remember you need to allow weight for the hitch.

It will be less than you think. Everything you have added has weight and takes away from your payload. Running boards, tonneau cover, even a spray in bed liner.

If it is a 2015 you probably don’t have the factory tires on it. You need to check the sidewall and see what their load carrying capacity is. Ditto if you are using aftermarket rims.

I only deal with Bradford rv on the Brockton line. Great people. Great service too. My new camper is there until I get it to my seasonal in NH on ossipee. They were extremely fair with trades too. I sold my 2019 back to them for far more than I would have taken

Edit- as @76Too has pointed out the construction of the camper is huge. From framing to sidewalls to heated tanks . And insulation. There are a ton of similar Floorplans at a ton of different prices. Usually comes down to build quality

My ‘real’ recommendation would be to get a conversion van (Westfalia, new Ford Transit Adventure Van or Sprinter variation)…an Airstream brand trailer…or a Winnebago brand class A. Those are basically the only ones that won’t melt away on you over time and are affordable (but still pricey).

A buddy has two motor homes. Wanted to upgrade his 2yr old $80k unit. That he owes $40k on, they offered him $30k. So he bought another new $100k unit.
Found out 3 weeks ago he's terminal. .....may be a fire sale
Jesus Christ, that’s horrible. Sorry for your friend and his family. That was kind of a dumb move on his part.

Back
Top Bottom