Got the ok to purchase camper- recommendations.

Well within the context of the hotel the restrictions are stupid. Let me put it this way, these are like the exception places that explicitly allow dogs to begin with. So think of the POV of the dog owner, who now has to go down a mesh sieve of restrictions to find out of his dog is compliant at a hotel that is going DOGS WELCOME (well, kinda sorta) . [rofl]

Most places ban them and im fine with that. Actually I ran into a hilarious thing on my trip to NC and FL last fall. I went to Wilmington NC and pulled into the wrong hotel because theyre right next to each other. Same chain even I think just different branding. I said to the lady at the desk "oh im sorry im at the wrong place" when she couldnt find my room. Out of curiousity I asked her what the rates are like compared to the other place. She basically said "Well, theyre close, but this one doesnt allow dogs, so people without dogs tend to like coming over here better." [rofl] probably beause it doenst stink. Thankfully I ended up on a non dog floor at the other place, but basically like the entire first 2 floors of that place smelled like wet dog including the elevators. [rofl]

I thought the market on these things was falling dramatically. But I guess like everything else if it went up 35% and just down 15% its still up 20%. I see a lot of boats and ATV's around now....
feel like the market for this shit is going to tank.

No offense to you camper guys,.....The only time I'd think about buying a camper is probably when I retire to have a cheap place to stay up here on a buddy's lot.

I can't rationalize the price of the gas, the truck, the camper and then still have to pay to stay. That big outlay is too much unless your using it a lot. If I was retired I might
look at it differently.

I could still see doing some tent camping.....wife wouldn't do it. But for hunting and stuff, I'd be into it. Some tents at Cabelas were on 1/3 price discount last time I was in there.

I thought so too but I’m not seeing much of a drop, at this point anyway. The drop is bigger once you get out of the northeast.

When I was growing up it was a good way to vacation on the cheap. It is really a life style choice more than anything else nowadays.

My wife teaches so she gets 3 months off during the summer so we can make better use of one but the prices are still pretty whacked.

So the wife finally gave to ok to look at campers. I have the option for fifth wheel as the 2015 ram we picked up has the ball in the bed. Generally it's the wife and I, but one of the older kids and their GF will tag along. Any suggestions or what to stay away from?
Having owned one I have two recommendation if you really want one.

First buy a large one and put in one place and leave it there. When you have to set up an RV and break it down every weekend it gets old. Plus like someone mentioned RV parks are not cheap these days. Not to mention maintenance and insurance of the RV and tow vehicle.

My second recommendation is stay at a hotel or AIRBNB. When you run the numbers you can stay at a hotel for years to equal the cost of an RV.

First buy a large one and put in one place and leave it there. When you have to set up an RV and break it down every weekend it gets old. Plus like someone mentioned RV parks are not cheap these days. Not to mention maintenance and insurance of the RV and tow vehicle.

My second recommendation is stay at a hotel or AIRBNB. When you run the numbers you can stay at a hotel for years to equal the cost of an RV.
its what may happening, I wanted a toy hauler to be able to bring the Harley with us. it may just be to rent cabins and just travel how I want.

A few universal things from my personal experience:

1. RVs suck. Even on the highest levels they are made like complete trash. Look closely at roof and all corners because when they leak (and they will) they turn to wet cardboard
2. RV dealers lie, and their service departments are made of people not smart enough to get hired by the worst roofing crew in history (as a general rule, no offense to good roofers or good RV techs)
3. EVERYONE overestimates their truck. It has very little to do with towable pounds and everything to do with payload. Payload can be found in your drivers side door and only there, as it’s build specific. Happy to go on forever on the details of why everyone overestimates their truck, and why rev dealers are happy to help you overestimate if you like.
4. Camping is the most fun toy I have ever owned, and the worst ownership experience of any toy I have ever owned. I miss camping, don’t miss the camper. I loved towing, I loved setting up, I loved packing up, I loved how much my family loved it, I loved the freedom, RVs suck…

How much you use it really takes into consideration. If you travel alot, and are willing to stay at a Cabelas or Walmart parking lot once and a while I can see saving a few bucks. Or if your towing to one destination that's reasonably priced or free and leaving it there for a bunch of weeks. If you just do that for 10 years with little maintainance....maybe you come out ahead in the end. Not sure.

But if your towing or driving a big bastard a bunch of miles, that calculus on the hotel stay gets eaten up in gas and truck wear and tear pretty damn easy........getting 5 mpg isn't gonna get you far before your paying in gas what it costs for a hotel. That's not even taking into account your initial 100K investment in truck and camper.

Or like the guy said, you have dogs and you don't want to board them....maybe it makes sense for that scenario.

Like HH said.....that math would likely never work out......its more of a lifestyle choice now, than anything else. Before when vehicles, gas, and campers were cheaper it probably made sense.

If you are towing a camper, as opposed to driving an RV, IMHO best to go with the largest fiberglass trailer you can afford. Then I would look at roof penetrations and options to cut down on leaks. Water infiltration can ruin your trip, trailer and bank account. If possible an all aluminum or galvanized frame. Especially in the northeast.

Oliver, Airstream (higher end) and smaller Scamp, Casita are some. Personally, I love the simplicity of the new Snoozy II trailers. They have gone up due to WuFlu as everything else has.

Another favorable mention is InTech RV due to their all-aluminum trailer frame and walls/roof. Though not fiberglass the QC has been good from what I've heard.

Snoozy II. Their best media is FB and you don't have to be a FB member to see most of it. They do have a website, but it is not as informative.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2mu93UncE&t=16s

Build quality on RV's , 5th Wheels, and Tag-Alongs generally speaking, suck. Forest River is the lowest of the low. That being said, if Forest River is the gutter, everything else is curb-high at best. 5th Wheels are great for space, and have large amounts of storage under floors of the camper. Pay attention to not only where but how accessible your fresh water, electricity, and black water hook ups are. Based on your brief description, A good place to start is what is your truck? I read the 2500 Ram, but motor? Tow package? rear end ratio? How experienced are you with towing? How experienced are you with towing 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 lbs? What is important to you in a camper? Is it going to base camp for other adventures? Are you going do be doing much dry camping ( no hookups for water/electricity) or visiting campgrounds and treating it like a mobile hotel room? How important is entertaining out of you RV? Is the 2 couples (4 people) your most likely scenario? No nieces or nephews who are going to beg to come along at some point? Are you willing to sacrifice creature comforts of home? Things like 20 minutes showers. Do you want it to be a "home away from home" ?

Not in the market but was wondering about the Northern Lite slide in campers.
They look like a nice unit on the outside as I’ve seen a few up here lately.
True 4 season campers. The further north you go the more you'll see. Quality units.
Personally I hate all the roof penetrations they have. I tend to keep vehicles/toy for a long long time. I don't want to have to deal with sealants and caulking on a roof.

ETA: Flat PVC vs Molded Fiberglass Roofs. The molded fiberglass has lips which helps cut down on the sealants. Still, lots of screws in both roofs.
Cued up:

View: https://youtu.be/kMD4KQHddnc?t=1468

Last edited:
check these.

A few universal things from my personal experience:

1. RVs suck. Even on the highest levels they are made like complete trash. Look closely at roof and all corners because when they leak (and they will) they turn to wet cardboard
2. RV dealers lie, and their service departments are made of people not smart enough to get hired by the worst roofing crew in history (as a general rule, no offense to good roofers or good RV techs)
3. EVERYONE overestimates their truck. It has very little to do with towable pounds and everything to do with payload. Payload can be found in your drivers side door and only there, as it’s build specific. Happy to go on forever on the details of why everyone overestimates their truck, and why rev dealers are happy to help you overestimate if you like.
4. Camping is the most fun toy I have ever owned, and the worst ownership experience of any toy I have ever owned. I miss camping, don’t miss the camper. I loved towing, I loved setting up, I loved packing up, I loved how much my family loved it, I loved the freedom, RVs suck…

sorry for the hijack OP but this is my concern; got 2 kids under 10, and would love to do weekend camping trips and just disconnect with the kids and wife. Is the answer perhaps to limit the RV to the necessities (smaller, beds, bathroom) but look for the most bulletproof one? instead of opting for larger/luxury/fluff...

The RV market has gone loopy with high prices.

The wife and I have owned a couple of them.

They are indeed shit boxes sitting on a frame.

The biggest issue with them is they flex and seams leak. Sealants dry out and they leak. Once the inside walls get wet its all over. You are driving around with a moldy shit box.

If you buy used buy it opened and fully viewable.

Walk up to it slowly and smell as you get closer. Mustiness smells turn around and walk away.

Watch out for the tricks that private sellers and some dealers use to hide musty smelling trailers. Moth balls, oh we use them to keep mice out, air fresheners because we like the smell. ANY masking odor is a red flag.

ALL TRAILERS LEAK AT SOME POINT

If you buy new you need to inspect that trailer like you would inspect your Daughters first boyfriend. The seams around the vents, fans, and the roof line. Watch for rips, tears in the roof material. Keep a supply of Dicor sealants and tapes on hand, its the best.

We enjoy camping but never take the quality of the trailer for granted.

sorry for the hijack OP but this is my concern; got 2 kids under 10, and would love to do weekend camping trips and just disconnect with the kids and wife. Is the answer perhaps to limit the RV to the necessities (smaller, beds, bathroom) but look for the most bulletproof one? instead of opting for larger/luxury/fluff...

My opinion, there is very real substance in “luxury” presented in RVs unless looking at $500k rigs.

An RV is often 4 walls made up of foam, thin wood or metal studs, and a 3/8 or 1/2” roof with a layer of rubber. What keeps these things from leaking is caulking (dicor) and channels that wrap the corners. Every inch of these caulking and channels needs to be checked and re caulked or it will leak. When an RV leaks, think of getting a cardboard box wet… that’s about the structural integrity

Size is a double edged sword. You have to plan for rain and being cooped up inside with you kids; not to mention as they grow larger you will want more space. Camping is a lifestyle choice. Most start off in tent campers, move to bigger hard sided campers, fifth wheels, and a class A (bus). Each upgrade costs.

We have been camping for 30 years and don’t currently have a trailer. (Both the truck and trailer were lost in a bad accident during the summer of 2021.) We had been planning on upgrading to a Super Duty and a fifth wheel.

We special ordered a 2022 Super Duty spec‘d out for towing a good size fifth wheel but have been holding off because the prices got really crazy with Covid. How much will you use it and how much is that worth to you? Campers are not a depreciating asset. They area depreciating toy. I have been thinking that the prices will drop down to some more reasonable level but I haven’t seen any sign of that in New England yet.

I like to keep them comfortable, but as small as practical to maximize flexibility for spaces. We started with a Wolf Pup 16 BHS in 2017, then graduated to a Northtrail 24BHS in 2021 when the kids got bigger and I got a better tow vehicle. I love both, but the pandemic-era construction on the double-priced Northtrail was significantly lower quality than the pre-pandemic Wolf Pup.

but the pandemic-era construction on the double-priced Northtrail was significantly lower quality than the pre-pandemic Wolf Pup.
We are going to find out next week what the inspection looks like on our new Grand Design. I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. We plan to go through every system and hopefully catch as much as possible before we take delivery. It does look very nice from a distance ...

Deep thoughts on 2021 Coachman Adrenalin 21LT?

Buddy has gone full bore nuts on work from anywhere RV life. Bought a bigger truck and is picking up a ginormous 5th wheeler.

Was offered $21,000 for this in trade and will sell it to me for that price. He’s upgraded solar and batteries, new tires. Has “patio kit” amd screen door.

Figure I can use it for deer camp and short camping trips. With my wife. And long trips for me and a bike.

Buddy has gone full bore nuts on work from anywhere RV life. Bought a bigger truck and is picking up a ginormous 5th wheeler.

Was offered $21,000 for this in trade and will sell it to me for that price. He’s upgraded solar and batteries, new tires. Has “patio kit” amd screen door.

Figure I can use it for deer camp and short camping trips. With my wife. And long trips for me and a bike.
I can't offer any insight other than $21K seems like a pretty solid deal on that year/model

Was offered $21,000 for this in trade
Brand new 2022 model is $35k

A 2021 model is basically brand new since trailers last forever. That toilet has only been used a few times. The mattress pull-out feature gives the master bedroom more room inside. And the rear wall drops down to reveal your own private patio. You could literally throw your own parties at every campsite you stop at. And it's still a hitch so it saves your flat bed.

I think you should pull the trigger on it.

These were made by a forklift company, and considerably higher quality construction than other stuff on the market.

Also astronauts used it

Apollo-era_Astronaut_Van.jpg

These were made by a forklift company, and considerably higher quality construction than other stuff on the market.

Also astronauts used it

Apollo-era_Astronaut_Van.jpg
I hear ya.
That is one of the reasons I fell in love with Airstreams.

1685156070978.png

If you want a straight trailer that isn't gonna cost you a mortgage but still won't melt away look for a unit by Northwood or Nash. They a little lesser known but all of them are a 4 season unit, all aluminum frames. One of the best quality units you can buy for the money. I have a 2005 that still tows and camps like new, only thing I've ever done is caulk the corners and the lap joints on the roof for preventative and replace the tires.

flex seal is not the right thing to use, Dicor is the stuff you want. It's probably coming in at one of the corners or where the awning is attached.

Back
Top Bottom