• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got the ok to buy a new CCW.....now what?

MXD

I know this is an off the wall comparison but I'm torn between a G30 (used) or a S&W 1911 PD. It will be for everyday carry. The 1911 wasn't even in the equation until I saw for myself how slim they are and then I shot one and fell in love. I'm leaning towards the 1911PD with an MTAC holster or a Crossbreed. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Plastic pistols are nice but the Smith 1911PD is a kick ass gun, I have the Gunsite Edition, narrow, light (28oz) and accurate as hell, I did replace the grips with Alien blasted canvas grips. I also use a Crossbreed IWB horsehide (get the combat cut). I have both and always take the 1911 with me, the others sit in the safe.

Plastic pistols are nice but the Smith 1911PD is a kick ass gun, I have the Gunsite Edition, narrow, light (28oz) and accurate as hell, I did replace the grips with Alien blasted canvas grips. I also use a Crossbreed IWB horsehide (get the combat cut). I have both and always take the 1911 with me, the others sit in the safe.

I figured those that owned the G30 would swear by it and those with the 1911 would as well. Its interesting to hear a reply from someone who owns both.

Even though the SW is longer and taller, the slim line of the 1911 is the biggest factor for IWB tuckable concealment in my opinion.

Last edited:
i used to have a glock 23 for concealed carry. i sold it and used the money to get a s&w pd. i now carry this with a crossbreed. since its a lightweight gun, with this holster i barely know its there.

I figured those that owned the G30 would swear by it and those with the 1911 would as well. Its interesting to hear a reply from someone who owns both.

Even though the SW is longer and taller, the slim line of the 1911 is the biggest factor for IWB tuckable concealment in my opinion.

I also have a SW M&P 45, the 1911 is the thinnest and I like the redundant safeties, if you look at how each weapon works striker guns are safe as long as you don't touch the trigger (snag it, drop and try to catch it) my 1911 having a manual safety, trigger interrupter and grip safety just makes me that more comfortable banging around with it, it also feels great in the hand and the trigger is nice and crisp and light. And it is a work of art to behold, this gun will be 100 years old in two years, talk about an enduring design. Thank you John Moses Browning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol [cheers]

I know this is an off the wall comparison but I'm torn between a G30 (used) or a S&W 1911 PD. It will be for everyday carry. The 1911 wasn't even in the equation until I saw for myself how slim they are and then I shot one and fell in love. I'm leaning towards the 1911PD with an MTAC holster or a Crossbreed. What do you guys think?
i am curious...who gave you a ok to buy gun?

And anyone who says they don't only does so because they are 100% sure "she" doesn't read the forum [rofl]

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. If funds were readily available, my husband can buy whatever he wants. I'm his wife, not his mother. He doesn't have to ask my permission to buy things, nor do I keep his liberty card on file. I've bought him many firearms since we started dating (including 2 .500 S&W, one 4 inch for carry and one 8 3/4 inch cause he wanted it). Maybe some men have to ask permission to spend their own money, but not Big Daddy .45ACP. Just be careful with generalizations.[wink]

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. If funds were readily available, my husband can buy whatever he wants. I'm his wife, not his mother. He doesn't have to ask my permission to buy things, nor do I keep his liberty card on file. I've bought him many firearms since we started dating (including 2 .500 S&W, one 4 inch for carry and one 8 3/4 inch cause he wanted it). Maybe some men have to ask permission to spend their own money, but not Big Daddy .45ACP. Just be careful with generalizations.[wink]

The reality is, my wife and I contribute equally to our household and with 2 kids we run any major purchase by each other out of respect. To me, $1000 would qualify as major. The "permission" comment was more tongue and cheek than anything. What I specifically said was that I got the "OK". That's a bit different than permission. Would you have preferred I titled the thread:

"My wife and I contribute equally to our household so with 2 kids we always make sure to check with each other before we spend a considerable amount of money. Well, I had that conversation last night and we decided that there was an extra grand laying around and I could use it to buy myself a new carry gun along with some ammo and a holster. So now what?"

That seems a bit drawn out.

Last edited:
The reality is, my wife and I contribute equally to our household and with 2 kids we run any major purchase by each other out of respect. To me, $1000 would qualify as major. The "permission" comment was more tongue and cheek than anything. Would you have preferred I titled the thread:

"My wife and I contribute equally to our household so with 2 kids we always make sure to check with each other before we spend a considerable amount of money. Well, I had that conversation last night and we decided that there was an extra grand laying around and I could use it to buy myself a new carry gun along with some ammo and a holster. So now what?"

That seems a bit drawn out.

It may perhaps be a little drawn out, but it makes you sound less like a wimp. I understand about running large purchases by your wife, I guess we have a different opinion of large purchases. And I stand by my statement, I'm not my husband's mother, therefore he need not ask my permission to spend his own money, and I refuse to ask permission to spend my own money. No disrespect intended and we may be from different socio economic levels, but the economy has been bad for us, too. My husband just went back to work after 16 months. And on a side note, it's better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission. JMHO YMMV

It may perhaps be a little drawn out, but it makes you sound less like a wimp.
Really? Saying I got the OK to make a large purchase makes me sound like a wimp? Respecting my wife's opinion isn't manly enough?

I understand about running large purchases by your wife, I guess we have a different opinion of large purchases.
$1000 isn't a large purchase for something that is not a necessity? What is a large purchase to you? If I had 250K in the bank I would still have the same conversation with her.

And I stand by my statement, I'm not my husband's mother, therefore he need not ask my permission to spend his own money, and I refuse to ask permission to spend my own money.
I never accused you of being his mother. In fact, I never accused you of anything. I don't even know you.

No disrespect intended
No disrespect intended? Really? So far you have insulted me 3 times (the 4th is below)

we may be from different socio economic levels, but the economy has been bad for us, too.
Please explain what this means. What level do you think I am on and how did you come to that conclusion based on me saying that I run large purchases by my wife? And when did I say the economy was tough on us. FYI, my wife and I actually both have "recession proof" careers.

Last edited:
Ok, I was just commenting on things that you put out here in the public forum. If you'd care to take it pm, I'll be happy to answer all of your questions. If not, have a great day and a blessed holiday season.

Ok, I was just commenting on things that you put out here in the public forum. If you'd care to take it pm, I'll be happy to answer all of your questions. If not, have a great day and a blessed holiday season.

My comment that seems to have caught your attention was the one about guys claiming they do what they want because they're sure their wives don't read the board. That was followed with one of these: [rofl] which was meant to imply that I was joking around. I think you might have read too much into it. No need to pm at this point, we would just be dragging on a fruitless argument. I hope you have a great day and blessed holiday as well.

well,i am a wimp [smile]...my girl and I contribute "equally" to our household ,its just that i found years ago that is smarter to listen to her(most of the time)when i want to spend money...she would never go to store and buy something for 600-800 $$ just like that...i would [grin]....so yes,every time i "decide" to buy something we have a "TALK".....i represent my case and if my reasons are good i get "OK".....[smile]

I remember when I used to get "permission" to spend money,it sucked.

She had me tricked so bad I thought it was a major victory when I got to spend money on something for myself.

Anyways...

Look into the 1911 centermass is selling,if I wanted a 1911 I would get it.

OP:

you should always choose the gun you are most comfortable with and shoot best with for CCW IMO. Almost anything can be concealed, some are just easier than others.

I had a Colt Officer's Model that was my carry gun for years and I was thrilled with it. Ive also CCW'd a Browning Hi-Power, a S&W 1076 and a Ruger P-90.

But any gun that you will actually carry is the "right" CCW for you compared with the awesome gun that you WON'T. Better with a .25 auto in your pocket than a .45 at home in the safe if TSHTF.

Both the guns you mentioned will work well for the purpose stated.

My wife & I both work. We make about the same after taxes & balancing bennies vs tax breaks ...

She puts everything into the house/family/savings. it's her nature. I put a bit less than everything into the pot.

if i wanted top spend my paycheck on a gun/tool/widget . I'd clear it with her first.

Wimpy ? No one need reply. I know the difference between self respect and bullshit macho posturing.

I married a woman who i treat as an equal , and she's a better financial planner than me. We're doing pretty good and living well within our means.

Really? Saying I got the OK to make a large purchase makes me sound like a wimp? Respecting my wife's opinion isn't manly enough?

$1000 isn't a large purchase for something that is not a necessity? What is a large purchase to you? If I had 250K in the bank I would still have the same conversation with her.

I never accused you of being his mother. In fact, I never accused you of anything. I don't even know you.

No disrespect intended? Really? So far you have insulted me 3 times (the 4th is below)

Please explain what this means. What level do you think I am on and how did you come to that conclusion based on me saying that I run large purchases by my wife? And when did I say the economy was tough on us. FYI, my wife and I actually both have "recession proof" careers.

MDX, I agree with you about have the conversation about spending $1000 bucks. I have had many conversations with mine about numerous items being purchased. Our bank account just would not justify a $1000 purchase without a discussion, not permission a discussion. Like I ask myself should I get a new 1911 or pay the mortgage this month? No discussion needed. With 4 kids,wife and a house that type of decision affects more than me and this is why I talk to my wife about it and she would talk to me too

Back
Top Bottom