Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

I asked a cop friend. He’s one of the good ones, but take it for what it’s worth…

View attachment 692878
That's a good point about probable cause. I'm going to ask a couple of cop friends and see what they say. It's never been an issue for me but I drive a newer vehicle, look like one of them, do the other things you're supposed to do. My wallet is on the console so all I'd be doing in front of the officer is going into the glove box for the reg which I leave on top.

Exactly, not sure why you'd wait for the cop to get to your window before getting license & reg out. Pull over, get your stuff out, turn dome light on if dark, both hands on the wheel.
"Furtive movements", they are right there among "marked lanes violation", "bloodshot glassy eyes", "strong odor of alcoholic beverage" and other bull crap that are highly subjective, difficult if not impossible to prove or disprove, and are often bullshit.

"Furtive movements", they are right there among "marked lanes violation", "bloodshot glassy eyes", "strong odor of alcoholic beverage" and other bull crap that are highly subjective, difficult if not impossible to prove or disprove, and are often bullshit.
Yes, although generally they make the report fit the stop.

That question is rarely the first question in a traffic stop unless he has run your plate and you have an LTC.
Interesting, because the times I have been pulled over no one ever mentioned guns.

One cop did mention that I have a nice, clean driving record, when I got pulled over in Cambridge for making a left turn at 4:30pm when those weren't allowed until 5:00pm.

Another one pulled me over doing a U turn in an aread that I couldn't do one (I honestly missed the sign, I did a U turn there every day, LOL), also, no mention.

A hot chick pulled me over, she had nice arm sleeve tattoos, this one for speeding. No mention of guns and I had 3 rifles in the trunk.

All in MA. All said I didn't need to show registration because it was in the computer but all asked for DL. So they were running my plates.

So please tell me, when do cops around here ask if you have guns when pulling people over?

So please tell me, when do cops around here ask if you have guns when pulling people over?
Being that I haven't been pulled over in years, I honestly do not know. As far as traffic stops my clients had, very few departments have body camera in my area. (MSP and Westboro PD). The only time I had occasion to view BWC footage where the police asked about guns in the car was with a case where there were guns in the car.

Being that I haven't been pulled over in years, I honestly do not know. As far as traffic stops my clients had, very few departments have body camera in my area. (MSP and Westboro PD). The only time I had occasion to view BWC footage where the police asked about guns in the car was with a case where there were guns in the car.
I will tell you the answer ... pretty much NEVER.

Assuming there aren't outstanding warrants or you fit a certain description of someone they are looking for or any gray area junk. I am only talking about a normal, routine stop.

All in MA. All said I didn't need to show registration because it was in the computer but all asked for DL. So they were running my plates.

My point is if they pull you over in MA and run your plates they know you have an LTC, and may ask if you have any guns.

As to "when do cops around here ask if have guns?"....... I don't remember the exact date but that would be in Granville MA on RT57 just past the school.

I don't have it on dash cam so you just have to take my word for it (which I know is hard :))

My point is if they pull you over in MA and run your plates they know you have an LTC, and may ask if you have any guns.

As to "when do cops around here ask if have guns?"....... I don't remember the exact date but that would be in Granville MA on RT57 just past the school.

I don't have it on dash cam so you just have to take my word for it (which I know is hard :))
The way you wrote it came across as the cops always asking the question unless they don't run the plate or you don't have an LTC.

That question is rarely the first question in a traffic stop unless he has run your plate and you have an LTC.

In todays bizarro world environment of freaks and fairies committing random violence against white peepo and Asians, 5-0 being ambushed and killed more than ever, everybody is on edge out there. That’s a really important common sense detail to keep in mind.

Any kind of furtive movements, especially at night in a dark vehicle, are going to raise someone’s cackles at least a bit on approach, it’s just human nature.

Sure so you’re a completely innocent working stiff just getting your license out, but a large percentage of people that cops stop are hiding things (drugs/guns/booze) with those very same movements, some jumping out of the vehicle with angry intent after making such movements, whether that’s as a distraction to what’s in the vehicle or as an attempt to get a better position for fight or flight.

Regular people don’t think about those things when they're being stopped, they just get nervous or angry because now they’re really gonna be late or they think this is going to cost them $$ so they already appear anxious to the casual observer yet still see their movements as completely normal because they haven’t been exposed to the other side of the coin or ever thought about blasting their way out of a car stop. A cop has to think that way with each stop, complacency kills, but the people get irritated by it and make fun of it because “hey it’s just me, Jimmy Pajamas, I’m no cop killer, stop being such a pussy.”

Everyone’s going to do what they want either way, some guys just love being a**h***s during traffic stops, questioning everything and playing shit house lawyer before they even produce their DL. Others are calm, polite and respectful while still others play calm and polite while they’re plotting how to escape because they have multiple warrants and they’re pros at the game. You just don’t know what type you will get when you light them up (with blues, not bullitz).

For me, if I’m being stopped, I put my window down a bit while still moving in case the cop wants to direct me to a safer place to stop using the loud speaker. I’ve actually had this happen with the highway meter maids when there was no break down lane or shoulder to stop on.
Put my emergency flashers on so they know I’m responding to them and not just continuing to drive away.

My interior light comes on when I stop, car in park, foot off the brake, and my hands stay empty and in plain view until I’m asked for my info. No pant shitting needed. If you start it off with a f*** you attitude he’s just gonna be counting ways to write you and already adding it up in his head.

TLDR;

Most people write their own tickets by running their suck. Just be normal and polite, there’s nothing complicated about it.

Last edited:
My wife and daughter know enough to have their driver's license and car registration in their hand before the police approach the car. That was also the advice my Dad gave me 50 years ago. Now my daughter drives a car with tinted passenger windows and she knows to open those windows as well as Police get nervous if they can't see the back seat. looking at police abuse videos, I notice that most, if not all of those interactions get off on the wrong foot by the driver digging out their license after the cop asks for it. Reaching in your back pocket and/or glove box while they are standing at your window gives some cops an itchy trigger finger.

This is what I always did, up until a few years ago. I thought I might inadvertently make a cop nervous if he sees me reaching into my glovebox or into my pockets when he pulls me over or is approaching the car.

Now I roll my window down and keep my hands at 10 & 2 and don’t do anything until I’m asked for my license and registration. I then say “My registration is in my glovebox and my license is in my wallet in my back pocket, can I get them for you?”

This way I’m not “reaching for something” or anything like that. I basically keep my hands where he can see them at all times, starting when the blues come on.
Any smart cop is looking for furtive movements and may think that you are reaching for a gun/hiding drugs/etc. So reaching for DL/reg when he stops you is very risky business. Much better to do as Dcdr stated above.

I asked a cop friend. He’s one of the good ones, but take it for what it’s worth…

View attachment 692878
That would never work for me. It takes me at least 11 to 12 minutes to find my registration in my glove box... so if I don't start looking for it until the cop is at my window, he is going to get awfully pissed at about the 10 minute mark. o_O

That would never work for me. It takes me at least 11 to 12 minutes to find my registration in my glove box... so if I don't start looking for it until the cop is at my window, he is going to get awfully pissed at about the 10 minute mark. o_O
I’ve had people do this as if it’s a game on the side of the road with cars whizzing by, or those that keep their registration in their trunk and insist on getting out of the car to retrieve it from a backpack, whether they’re just being morons or purposely trying to bust balls. they all got written for not having their information readily available and on-hand, sorry not sorry, have a nice day.

The way you wrote it came across as the cops always asking the question unless they don't run the plate or you don't have an LTC.
Agreed, cops usually do not ask that question first unless they know you have an LTC.

Well........ Actually they may ask you that question first if you don’t have an LTC and are driving something like this………..

1669925285097.jpeg

Similar to what I do...

Once I've notice they are on to me and have their lights on, I...
~Put my turn signal on,
~In a slow and cautious manner: pull far enough off the road so as to make the officer feel unthreatened and that I am in compliance
~zip my fly back up
~continue to follow his orders as closely as possible.
~Thank him for his time and for issuing a ticket for the safety of others...

Agreed, cops usually do not ask that question first unless they know you have an LTC.

Well........ Actually they may ask you that question first if you don’t have an LTC and are driving something like this………..
Couldn't you just tell them that you drive the Big Dig Tunnels frequently...? 🤔

1669926133114.png
1669926237429.png
1669926260563.png

Similar to what I do...

Once I've notice they are on to me and have their lights on, I...
~Put my turn signal on,
~In a slow and cautious manner: pull far enough off the road so as to make the officer feel unthreatened and that I am in compliance
~zip my fly back up
~continue to follow his orders as closely as possible.
~Thank him for his time and for issuing a ticket for the safety of others...

It is also good to pull the pants down, put some lube on your butt and let the officer know you respect his authority and Alpha status in society.

It is also good to pull the pants down, put some lube on your butt and let the officer know you respect his authority and Alpha status in society.
but is it? 🤔

Okay time for another true story from me. I was on vacation in Japan and while there I bought a few things to take home and if you know my warped sense of humor you would understand my purchasing a ladies pleasure 'wand' if you know what I mean. Hey it was an impulse buy and had anime characters and it was just something to laugh about when I got home. I had it in my carry on bag, which was probably my first mistake.

Going through customs I had a male Japanese customs agent who played with it for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what he was looking for but I was cracking up inside while trying to look serious. When I arrived in LA I had to through US customs and by the time the agents got around to figuring out what I had in my carry on bag I was surrounded by huge male TSA agents. One agent takes it out of my bag and plays with it for about 5 minutes. I guess guys like playing with these things more than ladies do. Finally one of them asks me what is this? I said it's a gag gift for a friend back home. One agent actually asked me "Are you a professional?". No shit, straight up. I said no and after about another minute they let me leave customs.

The weirdest part? By the time I made it into JFK in NYC and retrieved my luggage is when I realized my luggage lock was unlocked. It was also when I finally made it home that I realized all of my underwear had been stolen. Nothing else, not souvenirs, cosmetics, just my underwear. Still it was an awesome trip.

It's not a cop interaction but it should provoke some laughter around here.
Would you mind describing the underwear that was stolen? I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but I can’t help but wonder about the fabric and style.

Why are you guys so intent on keeping your hands at 10 and 2 in front of the cop, but think reaching around your vehicle and waist when he can’t see exactly what you’re doing makes sense?

Jeez, it’s like you guys have never had to hide some drugs on the side of the road!
or chucked a 8 pack of Miller Ponies across two paved lanes at over 80 MPH before the trooper even had time to drop it into gear.
He wasn’t very happy and I have no idea why he let me go. Life was easy back then. 😂

At about 5pm last night I went southbound on I 395 from Rt 20. Suddenly I was being pulled over by a State Trooper. This took me by complete surprise as I was driving the speed limit and not doing anything dumb. Trooper approaches from my passenger side. Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg. Since I didn't feel like getting shot at that particular moment, I let him know that I have a MA LTC and I was lawfully armed. He thanked me and asked for my documents. I mentioned that they were in my wallet and that I was carrying on my right hip. I retrieved the documents for him, and no further questions asked - written warning about the plate lights. When I got to where I was going, I confirmed that the plate lights were barely lit and picked up some new bulbs.
The first time I got pulled over carrying with my wallet in my pocket on my strong side was the last time I was ever driving with my wallet in my pocket. My wallet now goes in my open center console area so that no movement towards my waist is ever required to fetch documents.

Around 2 years ago, ironically in the same town that my last incident occurred earlier this year.

I have an AK47 Operators Union sticker on my motorcycle top box, otherwise he probably wouldn't have asked? He even said he noticed my sticker.. I have to take that sticker off one day... I wasn't carrying, he didn't even run my DL, we just bullshitted on the side of the road for a bit before he told me to take it easy next time, and I did for almost a year. Then this past July I got frustrated by 2 HD's going 25 in a 45 and braking even on the slightest hint of a turn on 122, and did a not-so-smart(but safe) pass on a group of cars so I could get behind so I could pass the Lazy Boy army, except one of the cars I passed was an unmarked...

Back
Top Bottom