Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

I got one thing going for me. I don’t leave my city and they know I’m armed….
Glad it worked out for you..

Cop walks past you on the sidewalk "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop holds the door for you at Dunkin Donuts "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop drives past you in the opposite direction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Drive past a cop sleeping at road construction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
If you say that you are being detained and you are being arrested.

Not your point, but I tell my brother, who is a big guy, that if anyone pulls a handgun on him (like a mugger, not a cop), to just run (maybe zigzagging a little!). Chances are the person is not practiced with their weapon, and if its a small caliber (like a .22lr) they may hit him, but it is unlikely to kill him (as he is a big guy). If it is a large caliber they are unlikely to hit him.
As far as disarming, I think a large part of the possibility of doing it is because many people who carry guns aren't committed to using them. Of course you are taking a risk. And if someone has a gun on you and gets too close you absolutely have a chance.

My wife and daughter know enough to have their driver's license and car registration in their hand before the police approach the car. That was also the advice my Dad gave me 50 years ago. Now my daughter drives a car with tinted passenger windows and she knows to open those windows as well as Police get nervous if they can't see the back seat. looking at police abuse videos, I notice that most, if not all of those interactions get off on the wrong foot by the driver digging out their license after the cop asks for it. Reaching in your back pocket and/or glove box while they are standing at your window gives some cops an itchy trigger finger.

I arrested a lady with 500+lbs of Devil's Lettuce in her truck. I always played 'worse cop' in conversations, mainly because, well, I can't keep a straight face, but I could just stay quiet. Anyway, in the middle of my talk, she just busted out laughing. My partner said, 'This isn't a laughing situation.' She replied, "Yes it is, you're going to search my stuff."

I lost it. She was a cross border prostitute, yes, we had searched her stuff. She had toys the likes of which only Gods have seen.
[pics]

Bwahahaha.

Anyone who thinks they are fast enough to move their hands 3 feet faster than any human being can move their index finger a half inch, is over confident.
The ONLY reason to try to disarm a shooter is to not get shot a second time. You are probably going to get shot. But if you are lucky/aggressive/determined, you might be able to wrestle a gun away from him after the first shot.
If you disarm an assailant, that has a gun drawn on you, he was never going to shoot you in the first place. If some one has a loaded gun leveled at you, and wants to shoot you, regardless of what Steven Segal or Jet Li did in a movie, or the Fred Villari karate instructor told you, your ass is going to be shot.

Not your point, but I tell my brother, who is a big guy, that if anyone pulls a handgun on him (like a mugger, not a cop), to just run (maybe zigzagging a little!). Chances are the person is not practiced with their weapon, and if its a small caliber (like a .22lr) they may hit him, but it is unlikely to kill him (as he is a big guy). If it is a large caliber they are unlikely to hit him.
As far as disarming, I think a large part of the possibility of doing it is because many people who carry guns aren't committed to using them. Of course you are taking a risk. And if someone has a gun on you and gets too close you absolutely have a chance.

Most self-defense instructors will tell you that you have a better chance w/ gun defense than knife defense. It takes zero skill to repeatedly stab/slash someone and even if you do knife defense 100% correctly you're likely to get stabbed/slashed several times. Gun defense is a little different. If a person is intent on killing you they'll just shoot you. If they want something from you they usually don't want to shoot you any more than you want to be shot, you comply whenever possible and usually leave in one piece. If they want to do something to you (abduct, etc.) then you go with a gun defense. The reality is that most criminals with guns are not well trained and as @Miguelito stated, they're not committed to using them. A trained person knows never to let their victim within reach of their gun, the common criminal doesn't and it's not like common criminals get a lot of range time. There are disarm techniques where you blade your body (turn sideways) simultaneously while grabbing and redirecting the gun. It's expected that the gun will go off but if it's a semi and you're holding the slide the gun won't cycle and now they have to rack it while you have two hands gripping the gun and are going at them w/ groin kicks, knees, head buts and once you have both hands on the gun it's not hard to take it from someone. If done properly the chances of getting hit in a vital area are pretty slim, if you get hit at all it'll probably be a grazing shot. Once you have the gun pointed away from your body the gun loses it's effectiveness while the knife can keep slashing and stabbing and is extremely hard to control compared to a gun.

This all assumes you're not carrying and they get the drop on you.

My wife and daughter know enough to have their driver's license and car registration in their hand before the police approach the car. That was also the advice my Dad gave me 50 years ago. Now my daughter drives a car with tinted passenger windows and she knows to open those windows as well as Police get nervous if they can't see the back seat. looking at police abuse videos, I notice that most, if not all of those interactions get off on the wrong foot by the driver digging out their license after the cop asks for it. Reaching in your back pocket and/or glove box while they are standing at your window gives some cops an itchy trigger finger.
This is what I always did, up until a few years ago. I thought I might inadvertently make a cop nervous if he sees me reaching into my glovebox or into my pockets when he pulls me over or is approaching the car.

Now I roll my window down and keep my hands at 10 & 2 and don’t do anything until I’m asked for my license and registration. I then say “My registration is in my glovebox and my license is in my wallet in my back pocket, can I get them for you?”

This way I’m not “reaching for something” or anything like that. I basically keep my hands where he can see them at all times, starting when the blues come on.

This is what I always did, up until a few years ago. I thought I might inadvertently make a cop nervous if he sees me reaching into my glovebox or into my pockets when he pulls me over or is approaching the car.

Now I roll my window down and keep my hands at 10 & 2 and don’t do anything until I’m asked for my license and registration. I then say “My registration is in my glovebox and my license is in my wallet in my back pocket, can I get them for you?”

This way I’m not “reaching for something” or anything like that. I basically keep my hands where he can see them at all times, starting when the blues come on.

Exactly, not sure why you'd wait for the cop to get to your window before getting license & reg out. Pull over, get your stuff out, turn dome light on if dark, both hands on the wheel.

Cop walks past you on the sidewalk "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop holds the door for you at Dunkin Donuts "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop drives past you in the opposite direction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Drive past a cop sleeping at road construction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
I'll just buy a shirt... 🤔

1669914813136.png

Exactly, not sure why you'd wait for the cop to get to your window before getting license & reg out. Pull over, get your stuff out, turn dome light on if dark, both hands on the wheel.
When a cop is behind you and sees you leaning over to the passenger side or reaching around your waist, what do you think it looks like?

When a cop is behind you and sees you leaning over to the passenger side or reaching around your waist, what do you think it looks like?
I would imagine he thinks you're getting your license/reg, particularly if you have them out when he reaches the window and you have the window open, lights on and two hands on the wheel?

I think it looks like I'm getting my license and registration which is now resting on the dashboard ahead of the steering wheel where both of my hands are...........

It's really pretty simple, cops are people too, so treat them like you'd like to be treated.

First, I let them know that I'm armed, this prevents any surprises.
Second, I let them know that I'm trained, so they know they're not dealing with an imbecile.
Third, I let them know that I'm on their side, and that I trust them.
Lastly, I let them know that I value their time, as well as mine, by doing all of this in the most expeditious way possible:

I simply scream out window "I HAVE A GUN AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I'M NOT AFRAID TO DIE!!!"

Works like a charm.

It's really pretty simple, cops are people too, so treat them like you'd like to be treated.

Second, I let them know that I'm trained, so they know they're not dealing with an imbecile.
Lastly, I let them know that I value their time, as well as mine, by doing all of this in the most expeditious way possible:

I simply scream out window "I HAVE A GUN AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I'M NOT AFRAID TO DIE!!!"

Works like a charm.
You are absolutely right. When I got pulled over I told the officer that I was trained as a Ninja 🥷 just to put him at ease. Told him I am armed and gave him a list of all what could constitute as weapons including my vehicle.

Works like a charm.
This thread is so awesome I can’t even tell when people are serious!

Back
Top Bottom