Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

Virtually every time I have been boarded by US Coast Guard the first question they ask is, "Do you have any weapons or firearms on board?" My answers is, "Yes this boat is full of knives." They say, "Please don't handle them while we are on board." I don't bring my guns out on the boat as everything seems to get corroded. Some commercial fishermen do carry guns on board so I guess it's not unusual for USCG to ask. I don't know if they ask the recreational crowd about their guns.
I don't doubt what you are saying, but this was a routine traffic stop, not a USCG boarding.

I was stopped buy an EPO out in the woods on my ATV, and the first thing he asked me was "do you have any weapons on you" That is par for the course because they are dealing with poachers.

That question is rarely the first question in a traffic stop unless he has run your plate and you have an LTC.

Oh, you've replaced the headlights on a late model Subaru, I see!

[rofl][laugh2]
When I was actively out appraising cars,I was running into multiple shops that were having problems with aftermarket Suburu headlights... they would not line up for sh*t, I swear they were Euro lights in SAE/DOT marked boxes and lenses

It got to the point I wouldn't write AM lights for Subbies, because it was cheaper to pay for OEM than deal with the hassle of doing a supplement for parts that did not restore the car to pre loss condition and the labor to do it

Same thing with steering Knuckles, we are already paying to OH the suspension and replace a bearing, if the 120 dollar knuckle is tweaked we are paying for a second overhaul and a second alignment. I'd always try to get a pic of an area I thought was distressed to sneak it by some desk jockey that couldn't tell a steering knuckle from a pig knuckle

Free internet advice (and for our entertainment)

"AM I BEING DETAINED!!"

.... Is a well-known and respectful phrase to use when being pulled over for anything

Just make sure you yell it clearly, and repeatedly, over and over

Oh, and post video of the results

The trooper probably already knew you had a LTC before he exited his coffin / cruiser from the onboard computer.
You are lucky that you didn't get a pistol pointed in your face, regardless of stating whether or not you had a LTC, once you admitted you had a pistol on your side in this state.
I was trained in disarms. Someone pulls a gun or knife on me they are going to eat it. LEO or non LEO. I will take it away and use it on them real quick!

This. I disclosed in my town one time when I was stopped for speeding. I mainly did it thinking maybe he'll just write a warning, knowing I'm a law abiding guy, LTC and all that. He told me in future better off not disclosing, wrote me a warning and sent me on my way. I haven't been stopped in a long time, but will follow his advice.
Bah, if you disclose, you're going to get that guy who says "don't disclose". If you don't, you're going to get an opposite kinda freak out guy. Doesn't matter which way you go, it's the wrong way. Just pull it out, toss it on the dash, and say "Mine's better than yours. Prove me wrong."

"AM I BEING DETAINED!!"

.... Is a well-known and respectful phrase to use when being pulled over for anything

Cop walks past you on the sidewalk "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop holds the door for you at Dunkin Donuts "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Cop drives past you in the opposite direction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"
Drive past a cop sleeping at road construction "AM I BEING DETAINED!!"

At about 5pm last night I went southbound on I 395 from Rt 20. Suddenly I was being pulled over by a State Trooper. This took me by complete surprise as I was driving the speed limit and not doing anything dumb. Trooper approaches from my passenger side. Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg. Since I didn't feel like getting shot at that particular moment, I let him know that I have a MA LTC and I was lawfully armed. He thanked me and asked for my documents. I mentioned that they were in my wallet and that I was carrying on my right hip. I retrieved the documents for him, and no further questions asked - written warning about the plate lights. When I got to where I was going, I confirmed that the plate lights were barely lit and picked up some new bulbs.
Was the car a Ferrari? 😆 Never mind, carry on

Real life experience. Nutcase drunk at a party holding a loaded Remington 700 .30/06 and screaming at his girlfriend about some stories of her cheating on him at some nightclub neither had ever been to. I knocked him on his ass, dumped the detachable floorplate, ejected the live round in the chamber, threw the now-empty rifle on the bed and, with the help of two other guys, forced him out of the apartment. He drove away, drunk. Too bad he wasn't nailed for that. She turned the rifle over to the police.
Become the next LEO victim. Cry your family a river. Disarm your assailant or die. Your choice! Obviously you would choose to die. Good luck!

Bah, if you disclose, you're going to get that guy who says "don't disclose". If you don't, you're going to get an opposite kinda freak out guy. Doesn't matter which way you go, it's the wrong way. Just pull it out, toss it on the dash, and say "Mine's better than yours. Prove me wrong."
There isn't a lawyer anywhere who will tell you to disclose anything you're not required to disclose at a traffic stop. It's that simple.

I was trained in disarms. Someone pulls a gun or knife on me they are going to eat it. LEO or non LEO. I will take it away and use it on them real quick!
Anyone who's trained in disarms knows that knife disarms will most likely get you sliced/stabbed even when you do everything 100% correctly. The old saying goes that the loser in a knife fight dies at the scene, the winner dies in the ambulance. You do everything possible to avoid dealing w/ a knife; you're 1000% better off trying to evade/escape a knife situation than trying to disarm - or if you can draw down on them you do. Knife disarm is absolutely positively the last choice.

If someone pulls a gun on you and knows what they're doing you'll never be able to reach the gun to disarm them. If they pull a gun and want your wallet, you comply - that's what every legitimate self defense training system will tell you. You only go for the gun disarm if they want to transfer you to a different location, get you in a vehicle, etc.

I'd suggest that with your cavalier attitude you'll be doing more of the eating than the other guy.

Real life experience. Nutcase drunk at a party holding a loaded Remington 700 .30/06 and screaming at his girlfriend about some stories of her cheating on him at some nightclub neither had ever been to. I knocked him on his ass, dumped the detachable floorplate, ejected the live round in the chamber, threw the now-empty rifle on the bed and, with the help of two other guys, forced him out of the apartment. He drove away, drunk. Too bad he wasn't nailed for that. She turned the rifle over to the police.
Now we got some action guys! Did you do any rolls or roundhouse kicks?

Anyone who's trained in disarms knows that knife disarms will most likely get you sliced/stabbed even when you do everything 100% correctly. The old saying goes that the loser in a knife fight dies at the scene, the winner dies in the ambulance. You do everything possible to avoid dealing w/ a knife; you're 1000% better off trying to evade/escape a knife situation than trying to disarm - or if you can draw down on them you do. Knife disarm is absolutely positively the last choice.

If someone pulls a gun on you and knows what they're doing you'll never be able to reach the gun to disarm them. If they pull a gun and want your wallet, you comply - that's what every legitimate self defense training system will tell you. You only go for the gun disarm if they want to transfer you to a different location, get you in a vehicle, etc.

I'd suggest that with your cavalier attitude you'll be doing more of the eating than the other guy.
Please stop, he is on a roll.

His posts are now my favorite part of the thread so far!

"AM I BEING DETAINED!!"

And make sure you say it with seething anger and a full on attitude.

:)

At about 5pm last night I went southbound on I 395 from Rt 20. Suddenly I was being pulled over by a State Trooper. This took me by complete surprise as I was driving the speed limit and not doing anything dumb. Trooper approaches from my passenger side. Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg. Since I didn't feel like getting shot at that particular moment, I let him know that I have a MA LTC and I was lawfully armed. He thanked me and asked for my documents. I mentioned that they were in my wallet and that I was carrying on my right hip. I retrieved the documents for him, and no further questions asked - written warning about the plate lights. When I got to where I was going, I confirmed that the plate lights were barely lit and picked up some new bulbs.
Sounds like a mature way to handle the situation. Stupidity can escalate such a situation, sometimes with a bad result.

Not questioning your ability but were you trained by the military, martial arts, or a company like Simon Property Group, L.P.? Having never been in the military (standard training, special forces etc.), I'm going to guess either military or martial arts training!

Not questioning your ability but were you trained by the military, martial arts, or a company like Simon Property Group, L.P.? Having never been in the military (standard training, special forces etc.), I'm going to guess either military or martial arts training!
Rex Kwan Do

I have been pulled over twice while carrying, never mentioned it neither did the cop. Not sure what you get out of mentioning it although if there's a probability that they'll see your gun when you reach for your wallet it's probably not a bad idea. My wallet is never in my pants pocket so not an issue for me, and I would never ever mention I was carrying unless I was in a state that legally required it. I presume in MA they probably know. Have been told by a cop friend of mine that it's something they can see if they navigate to a separate screen but not something that comes up immediately. Also, my car is registered to my company so not sure what they'd be able to see under those circumstances.

I was pulled over on a bike that wasn't registered to me. Told the cop I have a Glock 43 in my left chest pocket while keeping my hands on the handlebars. Nothing happened at all, but I figure in the environment of today and people shooting cops he might be appreciative of me telling him. I figure once he runs my DL, he has a chance of seeing that I have an LTC then he would come back and ask me if I am carrying... Made a calculated decision in the space of 5 seconds to tell him I was carrying versus him asking and me saying yes..

Part of my decision was based on him coming up to me with his hand on his sidearm though lol

Last edited:
Bwahahaha.

Anyone who thinks they are fast enough to move their hands 3 feet faster than any human being can move their index finger a half inch, is over confident.
The ONLY reason to try to disarm a shooter is to not get shot a second time. You are probably going to get shot. But if you are lucky/aggressive/determined, you might be able to wrestle a gun away from him after the first shot.
If you disarm an assailant, that has a gun drawn on you, he was never going to shoot you in the first place. If some one has a loaded gun leveled at you, and wants to shoot you, regardless of what Steven Segal or Jet Li did in a movie, or the Fred Villari karate instructor told you, your ass is going to be shot.

There's home state treatment and home town treatment. I got pulled over doing a 54 in a 25, turn a blind corner and two of my town cops nabbed me, flashed lights and I pulled over right after their cruisers. Rolled up on me and I said 'you got me!'. Cops asked if I lived around here I responded yes sir. Did what the OP did and made note that I was carrying, but I just gave the cop my DL and LTC together. Let off with a warning LOL. Def wouldn't have been so kind to outsiders.
Home town treatment in small towns is real. As a teenager in the 1960s (no radar detectors, no computers in cruisers), I was never stopped in my home town, but the officer knew I lived there and would wave to me to slow down and I'd do so and wave thanks.

The only time I did get stopped back then was in Brockton where a couple of Registry cops had setup and I gave the finger to the first one I passed, so he had his buddy stop me. The cop told me that my Dino Dinosaur was illegal (it was sitting on the top of my rear-view mirror) and to remove it . . . LOL
They have to navigate to the “gun screen”. I’d be surprised if most cops do it. That cop was probably just giving you a canned inquiry in the form of a greeting.

I did once have my LTC as the card behind my license and was pulled over. Once.
Nope, not in civilized MA where they have electricity and MDTs in cruisers. CJIS Web pulls up LTC info and a lot more for registered driver on plate number or DL # automatically.
I have been pulled over twice while carrying, never mentioned it neither did the cop. Not sure what you get out of mentioning it although if there's a probability that they'll see your gun when you reach for your wallet it's probably not a bad idea. My wallet is never in my pants pocket so not an issue for me, and I would never ever mention I was carrying unless I was in a state that legally required it. I presume in MA they probably know. Have been told by a cop friend of mine that it's something they can see if they navigate to a separate screen but not something that comes up immediately. Also, my car is registered to my company so not sure what they'd be able to see under those circumstances.
See my comment above. Unsure wrt a company car when a plate is run.
Don't you guys get uncomfortable driving with your wallet in your pants pockets? I never have my keys or wallet in my pants pocket when driving.
Nope, keys and wallet are always in my pockets.
I doubt many cops start off a traffic stop with asking if you have any guns on you as a greeting. Unless they have reason to believe you have a gun on you.

There may be exceptions but if you are asked that question before any others there most likely is a reason.
See my comment above. In MA, they will know.

For the record: In NH they will know only if you are stopped in the town where your P/R license was issued. No centralized database. I've done two ride-alongs up here in NH recently and when they run a MA plate/DL, they don't get that info.

Bwahahaha.

Anyone who thinks they are fast enough to move their hands 3 feet faster than any human being can move their index finger a half inch, is over confident.
The ONLY reason to try to disarm a shooter is to not get shot a second time. You are probably going to get shot. But if you are lucky/aggressive/determined, you might be able to wrestle a gun away from him after the first shot.
If you disarm an assailant, that has a gun drawn on you, he was never going to shoot you in the first place. If some one has a loaded gun leveled at you, and wants to shoot you, regardless of what Steven Segal or Jet Li did in a movie, or the Fred Villari karate instructor told you, your ass is going to be shot.
Not your point, but I tell my brother, who is a big guy, that if anyone pulls a handgun on him (like a mugger, not a cop), to just run (maybe zigzagging a little!). Chances are the person is not practiced with their weapon, and if its a small caliber (like a .22lr) they may hit him, but it is unlikely to kill him (as he is a big guy). If it is a large caliber they are unlikely to hit him.
As far as disarming, I think a large part of the possibility of doing it is because many people who carry guns aren't committed to using them. Of course you are taking a risk. And if someone has a gun on you and gets too close you absolutely have a chance.

Not your point, but I tell my brother, who is a big guy, that if anyone pulls a handgun on him (like a mugger, not a cop), to just run (maybe zigzagging a little!). Chances are the person is not practiced with their weapon, and if its a small caliber (like a .22lr) they may hit him, but it is unlikely to kill him (as he is a big guy). If it is a large caliber they are unlikely to hit him.
As far as disarming, I think a large part of the possibility of doing it is because many people who carry guns aren't committed to using them. Of course you are taking a risk. And if someone has a gun on you and gets too close you absolutely have a chance.
And if a non cop is pointing a gun at an empty handed you, you've only got bad options.

Okay time for another true story from me. I was on vacation in Japan and while there I bought a few things to take home and if you know my warped sense of humor you would understand my purchasing a ladies pleasure 'wand' if you know what I mean. Hey it was an impulse buy and had anime characters and it was just something to laugh about when I got home. I had it in my carry on bag, which was probably my first mistake.

Going through customs I had a male Japanese customs agent who played with it for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what he was looking for but I was cracking up inside while trying to look serious. When I arrived in LA I had to through US customs and by the time the agents got around to figuring out what I had in my carry on bag I was surrounded by huge male TSA agents. One agent takes it out of my bag and plays with it for about 5 minutes. I guess guys like playing with these things more than ladies do. Finally one of them asks me what is this? I said it's a gag gift for a friend back home. One agent actually asked me "Are you a professional?". No shit, straight up. I said no and after about another minute they let me leave customs.

The weirdest part? By the time I made it into JFK in NYC and retrieved my luggage is when I realized my luggage lock was unlocked. It was also when I finally made it home that I realized all of my underwear had been stolen. Nothing else, not souvenirs, cosmetics, just my underwear. Still it was an awesome trip.

It's not a cop interaction but it should provoke some laughter around here.
I arrested a lady with 500+lbs of Devil's Lettuce in her truck. I always played 'worse cop' in conversations, mainly because, well, I can't keep a straight face, but I could just stay quiet. Anyway, in the middle of my talk, she just busted out laughing. My partner said, 'This isn't a laughing situation.' She replied, "Yes it is, you're going to search my stuff."

I lost it. She was a cross border prostitute, yes, we had searched her stuff. She had toys the likes of which only Gods have seen.

Just run straight. Zig-zagging will probably get you hit.

Back
Top Bottom