Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

Most cops I know don’t really care if your armed. They advised me to not even mention it, unless I’m being asked to step out of the vehicle, then I would declare it and ask the officer how he would like to proceed.
This. I disclosed in my town one time when I was stopped for speeding. I mainly did it thinking maybe he'll just write a warning, knowing I'm a law abiding guy, LTC and all that. He told me in future better off not disclosing, wrote me a warning and sent me on my way. I haven't been stopped in a long time, but will follow his advice.

Oh! Meant to clarify that he never asked me if I had a gun in the vehicle. Nor if I had been drinking. Would have lied about the second but no idea how I would have answered the first. Needless to say, I never carry anymore if I am going to be drinking.
If we are road sodaing it after lunch I just unload it and put it in the console.

I got pulled over earlier this year as I entered 24 south from 93 south (or whatever it is these days). I very rarely carry and almost never if I am going to have a few beers, but I wanted to show a good friend of mine my FK Brno hand cannon, and we were gonna go out after hockey. I had the Brno under my leg because I don't have a holster that will fit it. I had had a few beers. I haven't been pulled over (not counting two out of state bullshit speed traps) since the 90's. There was construction on 93 (all summer) and I was taking 24 south to get out of it. This car was on my ass on the ramp between the two highways and blew by me, so I gave him the finger as he passed me. Big mistake! It was a statie and he pulls me over. I was like, Noooooooooooo!!! But he was in a hurry (luckily) and came to my passenger window. License and registration (which I already have out, hands on the wheel, hand-cannon beneath my lap), have you been pulled over lately, I say no. Goes back to his cruiser, returns quickly, sends me on my way, and honest to God, tells me not to give other drivers the finger because you never know who is carrying a gun!
Is this a parody?

Think deeper. It's still illegal federally, and there's still a black market, think 'untaxed' market.

Money has always been the big take up along the 95 corridor. But what do I know?
I have never heard of someone getting pulled over in a traffic stop in a state with legal weed, because they were suspected to be in possession of “non taxed cannabis”

Some of these weed posts on NES are just over the top.

Dim plate lights at 5pm (I know its dark out this time of year) is BS especially with no ticket
Do you drive a crappy looking/older vehicle?

I have a couple vehicles and a clean, modern, "luxury" branded one I NEVER get followed no matter where I am
The other older ones I get followed

(I am not disclosing I am carrying out of principal and not trying to get Philano Castiled)

Last edited:
I doubt many cops start off a traffic stop with asking if you have any guns on you as a greeting. Unless they have reason to believe you have a gun on you.

There may be exceptions but if you are asked that question before any others there most likely is a reason.
Virtually every time I have been boarded by US Coast Guard the first question they ask is, "Do you have any weapons or firearms on board?" My answers is, "Yes this boat is full of knives." They say, "Please don't handle them while we are on board." I don't bring my guns out on the boat as everything seems to get corroded. Some commercial fishermen do carry guns on board so I guess it's not unusual for USCG to ask. I don't know if they ask the recreational crowd about their guns.

“Officer, I have a gun lic…”

“GUN!!!”

*pop pop pop*
The Sargent who taught the LTC course in Worcester would tell a story on when he got pulled over in Spencer. Young cop was wearing a brand new uniform and belt and holster looked brand new. Sargent said he was a cop and carrying a gun and the next thing he knew was the Spencer cop drew down on him. Cop told him after he never heard the Sargent say he was a cop, only heard gun.

Is there a legal standard of luminosity of a car light? Because pulling someone over for a light that is actually working but dim probably still meets the legal definition.

But this just sounded like another one of those MSP side of the road fishing expeditions that they are world famous for. Tell me we need as many cops as we do just to tell someone 'hey the lights seem dim but are not illegal'. Therefore I'm going to waste 15 minutes of your time running all of your data because I really want a coffee but I need to fill in 15 minutes before I get it.

the wallet is small. an iphone max is bigger.

dunno, i never transitioned to a man purse, and missed out the age of fannypacks - kinda got born in-between trends. :) so jeans pockets is what it is for me. :)

Wallets are usually fatter than phones so not overly comfortable for me. Who said anything about fannypacks & man purses? If I'm wearing a jacket, wallet & keys are in jacket pocket, if I'm not wearing a jacket they're in the console.

Wait. You did this all wrong. You should have told the cop he was racist for pulling you over, insulted him, spit on him, and lunged for his gun, and then we all could show up to protest, screaming "Hands up, don't shoot". Then you'd be able to collect millions in a lawsuit after you hire Benny "The Ambulance Chasing Chump" Crump.

You need to up your game.

The Sargent who taught the LTC course in Worcester would tell a story on when he got pulled over in Spencer. Young cop was wearing a brand new uniform and belt and holster looked brand new. Sargent said he was a cop and carrying a gun and the next thing he knew was the Spencer cop drew down on him. Cop told him after he never heard the Sargent say he was a cop, only heard gun.
I would say, "Officer. I have an LTC from Mass, and have one on my right rear hip. Two spare mags on the left. How would you like to handle it?"
I would not use the word "gun" during the conversation.
When I was pulled over for 45 in a 25 zone, I never mentioned it, and he never asked. I was obsequiously polite, respectful, and got a warning.

Is there a legal standard of luminosity of a car light? Because pulling someone over for a light that is actually working but dim probably still meets the legal definition.

But this just sounded like another one of those MSP side of the road fishing expeditions that they are world famous for. Tell me we need as many cops as we do just to tell someone 'hey the lights seem dim but are not illegal'. Therefore I'm going to waste 15 minutes of your time running all of your data because I really want a coffee but I need to fill in 15 minutes before I get it.
Why do you hate men?

Statie pulled you over at 5pm for dim plate bulb?
Wow, he must have been bored. Not worth the risk of screwing up traffic flow during rush hour and risking some idiot Ma**h*** slamming into him in the breakdown lane.
I would not volunteer I was carrying, if he asks answer Yes Sir.
You have to understand how the cop world works.

Cops don't get promoted for playing midnight basketball, rescuing Mrs. McGillicutty's cat from a tree, or doing safety inspections during elementary school bike rodeos.

Cops get praised, promoted, paid and rewarded for making arrests. The more arrests, for more offenses, and the more serious the offense, the better they look.
Cops hunt humans. Really. It's one of the benefits that the job offers to a certain kind of person. They want to hunt where they are going to find lots of good quality arrests. And that means finding knuckleheads.
If they pull over an 80 year old, white lady, odds are they aren't going to find anything. Maybe an expired registration? Maybe an open bottle of Chanel #5? Little old white ladies rarely commit crimes. And if they do, they're smart enough not to do them where they are going to get caught, or have evidence anywhere near them. Think white collar fraud and shit.

Further, white ladies tend to be able to afford lawyers. They know well placed politicians. They can fight tickets, and make trouble. That's why if you ask cops, they'll tell you that the rich, the middle class and anyone who looks to be those two things are not their customers.
They want to pull over people who when looked at, have no license. Expired registration. No inspection sticker. Drugs in the car. Warrants outstanding. Illegal guns. Stolen merchadise. The 80 year old white grandma is probably not going to produce that result. Busting some young idiot is like when you hit the trifeca on the pinball machine. The bells keep ringing, the lights keep flashing, and the score counter just keeps clicking up.
The way you play this game is first of all, don't do anything that gets you noticed. Don't drive red sports cars with loud exhausts. Don't drive beaters that look like they are falling apart. Don't drive like an idiot. Don't paste bumper stickers on your car, especially ones that suggest you know anything about guns. Don't hang around places that are known to precipitate trouble. Don't hang out with people who are known to the cops, or do stupid things. Don't be out past 10 PM at night (all cops will tell you that nothing good happens after 10 PM in public). Avoid young males who are likely under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Don't mess around with someone's woman. Don't have anything to do with drugs, and if you can't help it, never have any on your person or in your car. Smoke up at home, behind locked doors.

If you screw up, and attract the attention of the local cops, do everything in your power to end the interaction as quickly as possible. Do this by being polite, respectful and EXTREMELY BORING!

That means shut your trap, aside from politely responding to the officer. Don't tell them anything you don't absolutely have to.

If you think the cop is being racist, sexist, homophobic, or NES-phobic, do NOT take it up with the cop. The time to do that is after you are far away from the cop and the stop. You get a lawyer, a community organizer or other leader, and take it up with the department. NEVER get into anything with a cop. You will lose if you try.

I'd suggest that EVERYONE read this book. If everyone did, especially dump black young men, we'd have far fewer problems with the police.

I got pulled over once in Lowell at night and the cop lit up my truck cab with one of those big 4-D Maglites (it was a while ago...)
and fixed the beam on my slide-out ashtray that was full of ziploc baggies. He asked in a stiff tone "What are those for?"
"Dog poop." was my reply... Got a verbal. [rofl]

I'm Wanted in zero states... 🤔

I got pulled over once in Lowell at night and the cop lit up my truck cab with one of those big 4-D Maglites (it was a while ago...)
and fixed the beam on my slide-out ashtray that was full of ziploc baggies. He asked in a stiff tone "What are those for?"
"Dog poop." was my reply... Got a verbal. [rofl]

I'm Wanted in zero states... 🤔

Okay time for another true story from me. I was on vacation in Japan and while there I bought a few things to take home and if you know my warped sense of humor you would understand my purchasing a ladies pleasure 'wand' if you know what I mean. Hey it was an impulse buy and had anime characters and it was just something to laugh about when I got home. I had it in my carry on bag, which was probably my first mistake.

Going through customs I had a male Japanese customs agent who played with it for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what he was looking for but I was cracking up inside while trying to look serious. When I arrived in LA I had to through US customs and by the time the agents got around to figuring out what I had in my carry on bag I was surrounded by huge male TSA agents. One agent takes it out of my bag and plays with it for about 5 minutes. I guess guys like playing with these things more than ladies do. Finally one of them asks me what is this? I said it's a gag gift for a friend back home. One agent actually asked me "Are you a professional?". No shit, straight up. I said no and after about another minute they let me leave customs.

The weirdest part? By the time I made it into JFK in NYC and retrieved my luggage is when I realized my luggage lock was unlocked. It was also when I finally made it home that I realized all of my underwear had been stolen. Nothing else, not souvenirs, cosmetics, just my underwear. Still it was an awesome trip.

It's not a cop interaction but it should provoke some laughter around here.

Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg.

Heading south in the Everett Turnpike late one night I got pulled over by a NH statie. Since I was actually doing within a few miles of the limit, when she asked me if I knew why she pulled me over, I told her "Trooper, I haven't got a clue!" Turns out my license plate light was out. I told her I'd fix it the next day and she sent me on her way. (Oh, and I was driving a Subaru station wagon... boring old guy from Vermont car.)

In your scenario, I understand why you told him. It sounds like you told him the correct way, too. Starting with license and avoiding hot words like "GUN!"

Yup, I don't f*** around with cops, either. Hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, "Trooper/Officer/Deputy, I am carrying concealed; how do you want me to proceed?" Usual answer is something like 'You don't pull yours and I won't pull mine". Perhaps the grey in my beard makes them think I'm not an obnoxious young punk...

PS, and @mwalsh9152These days, LED lights have reduced the number of failed lights to near zero, but when they do fail it is a royal PITA to replace a bulb.... you should not have to remove the front bumper or half the engine bay to get a side marker light into the housing but it happens every day, and license plate lights are not any easier

Oh, you've replaced the headlights on a late model Subaru, I see!

I gave him the finger as he passed me. Big mistake! It was a statie and he pulls me over. I was like, Noooooooooooo!!! But he was in a hurry (luckily) and came to my passenger window. License and registration (which I already have out, hands on the wheel, hand-cannon beneath my lap), have you been pulled over lately, I say no. Goes back to his cruiser, returns quickly, sends me on my way, and honest to God, tells me not to give other drivers the finger because you never know who is carrying a gun!
[rofl][laugh2] What was he going to ticket you for? Disrespect of cop?

I try not to give people the finger (much as my inner Jersey boy wants to!) because with the Square & Compasses on the tailgate, I'm trying to live up to the standards of my fraternity... and Masons are supposed to be nicer than that. But boy, it's a fight not to.

Back
Top Bottom