Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

I got pulled over when I was 18 on the way back from the Cape at like 3am with a tapped beer ball inside the cabin of my car. Statie took one look, tried not to crack up, and made me dump it out on the shoulder. I thought I was toast for multiple reasons, but nothing. If that wasn't home state preferential treatment, I don't know what is.
There's home state treatment and home town treatment. I got pulled over doing a 54 in a 25, turn a blind corner and two of my town cops nabbed me, flashed lights and I pulled over right after their cruisers. Rolled up on me and I said 'you got me!'. Cops asked if I lived around here I responded yes sir. Did what the OP did and made note that I was carrying, but I just gave the cop my DL and LTC together. Let off with a warning LOL. Def wouldn't have been so kind to outsiders.

Your disappointing the people here who want to read that the cop was a complete shitbag but you conducted yourself in a manner to avoid unnecessary drama so job well done
My fisherman story should be ready to be told in a couple of weeks. It is cases like that one that makes me absolutely love my job.

Pulling an older guy over and not shooting him for a dim license plate bulb is a pretty low bar.
Wow! Yeah, I am not quite what I once was. Yeah, I drive a grandpa car (I actually got it from my grandpa, so that is an excuse). Still, I never would have considered myself an older guy, except maybe in the context of hanging out with chicks in their mid 20's.

The trooper probably already knew you had a LTC before he exited his coffin / cruiser from the onboard computer.
You are lucky that you didn't get a pistol pointed in your face, regardless of stating whether or not you had a LTC, once you admitted you had a pistol on your side in this state.
This......

I was pulled over once and before he even asked for license and registration he asked "Got any Guns on you today"...... I did't that time so I replied "No left the Guns home today"

He chuckled and gave me a verbal warning for 7 mph over in a school zone.

They know you have an LTC right from the get go. They also know that law-abiding people with LTC's will NOT be a reason they don't go home to their families at the end or their shift.

This......

I was pulled over once and before he even asked for license and registration he asked "Got any Guns on you today"...... I did't that time so I replied "No left the Guns home today"

He chuckled and gave me a verbal warning for 7 mph over in a school zone.

They know you have an LTC right from the get go. They also know that law-abiding people with LTC's will NOT be a reason they don't go home to their families at the end or their shift.
They have to navigate to the “gun screen”. I’d be surprised if most cops do it. That cop was probably just giving you a canned inquiry in the form of a greeting.

I did once have my LTC as the card behind my license and was pulled over. Once.

I knew they knew I had a LTC, I also knew they were able to verify my current registration and insurance even though I have expired documents. My reasoning for mentioning it is my OWB carried gun would have been seen as I was reaching for my wallet. Would have rather avoided that situation.

OP did new bulbs really fix the issue? I agree it was a BS and he infringed on your rights and stole time from your life. Glad you did what you thought best and it all went smoothly but personally I would not volunteer that I had a firearm.
Until they legalize the Devil's Weed, this will go on. It's a 'legit' stop. What they call a CSV, Chicken S.... Violation, but a legit stop.

Cop gets a free look at the driver, determines if anything else needs to get done. If not, issue a warning and mosey on. Be thankful your cops have time to deal with such minor stuff. I drove a POS vehicle with no plates, no inspection sticker, sometimes driving like a banshee down in New Orleans. I had a total of ONE cop ever even look at me, I flashed the DHS plates sitting in my pax seat, he just shook his head.

I have been pulled over twice while carrying, never mentioned it neither did the cop. Not sure what you get out of mentioning it although if there's a probability that they'll see your gun when you reach for your wallet it's probably not a bad idea. My wallet is never in my pants pocket so not an issue for me, and I would never ever mention I was carrying unless I was in a state that legally required it. I presume in MA they probably know. Have been told by a cop friend of mine that it's something they can see if they navigate to a separate screen but not something that comes up immediately. Also, my car is registered to my company so not sure what they'd be able to see under those circumstances.

They advised me to not even mention it
i was told the same multiple times - to keep it quiet unless you are getting extracted out to be frisked or have to reach into the pocket on that side that will expose a concealed gun.
therefore the wallet is always in the left side pocket and gun is on the right.

i was told the same multiple times - to keep it quiet unless you are getting extracted out to be frisked or have to reach into the pocket on that side that will expose a concealed gun.
therefore the wallet is always in the left side pocket and gun is on the right.

Don't you guys get uncomfortable driving with your wallet in your pants pockets? I never have my keys or wallet in my pants pocket when driving.

Just don't do that in Maine. You need to disclose immediately that you are carrying unless you have your optional LTC. I have an LTC here. It cost me $35.
I was told you are required to disclose it also in NH...true?

Well, I don't travel out of state much at the moment. I would let NH cops know, but unsure of the actual law other than constitutional carry. I realize that may not preclude a need to notify. If I traveled out of state, I'd check their laws first.

They have to navigate to the “gun screen”. I’d be surprised if most cops do it. That cop was probably just giving you a canned inquiry in the form of a greeting.

I did once have my LTC as the card behind my license and was pulled over. Once.
I doubt many cops start off a traffic stop with asking if you have any guns on you as a greeting. Unless they have reason to believe you have a gun on you.

There may be exceptions but if you are asked that question before any others there most likely is a reason.

Don't you guys get uncomfortable driving with your wallet in your pants pockets? I never have my keys or wallet in my pants pocket when driving.
the wallet is small. an iphone max is bigger.

dunno, i never transitioned to a man purse, and missed out the age of fannypacks - kinda got born in-between trends. :) so jeans pockets is what it is for me. :)

Until they legalize the Devil's Weed, this will go on. It's a 'legit' stop. What they call a CSV, Chicken S.... Violation, but a legit stop.
OP did not mention what state the stop took place in, but did mention he had a MA and CT LTC.

Weed is legal up here, so unless he appeared under the influence no reason to stop for suspicion of OUI.

OP did not mention what state the stop took place in, but did mention he had a MA and CT LTC.

Weed is legal up here, so unless he appeared under the influence no reason to stop for suspicion of OUI.
Think deeper. It's still illegal federally, and there's still a black market, think 'untaxed' market.

Money has always been the big take up along the 95 corridor. But what do I know?

I doubt many cops start off a traffic stop with asking if you have any guns on you as a greeting. Unless they have reason to believe you have a gun on you.

There may be exceptions but if you are asked that question before any others there most likely is a reason.
Maybe. But cops say dumb shit like that all the time to disarm you (figuratively) or entrap you.

Statie pulled you over at 5pm for dim plate bulb?
Wow, he must have been bored. Not worth the risk of screwing up traffic flow during rush hour and risking some idiot Ma**h*** slamming into him in the breakdown lane.
I would not volunteer I was carrying, if he asks answer Yes Sir.

I got pulled over earlier this year as I entered 24 south from 93 south (or whatever it is these days). I very rarely carry and almost never if I am going to have a few beers, but I wanted to show a good friend of mine my FK Brno hand cannon, and we were gonna go out after hockey. I had the Brno under my leg because I don't have a holster that will fit it. I had had a few beers. I haven't been pulled over (not counting two out of state bullshit speed traps) since the 90's. There was construction on 93 (all summer) and I was taking 24 south to get out of it. This car was on my ass on the ramp between the two highways and blew by me, so I gave him the finger as he passed me. Big mistake! It was a statie and he pulls me over. I was like, Noooooooooooo!!! But he was in a hurry (luckily) and came to my passenger window. License and registration (which I already have out, hands on the wheel, hand-cannon beneath my lap), have you been pulled over lately, I say no. Goes back to his cruiser, returns quickly, sends me on my way, and honest to God, tells me not to give other drivers the finger because you never know who is carrying a gun!

I got pulled over earlier this year as I entered 24 south from 93 south (or whatever it is these days). I very rarely carry and almost never if I am going to have a few beers, but I wanted to show a good friend of mine my FK Brno hand cannon, and we were gonna go out after hockey. I had the Brno under my leg because I don't have a holster that will fit it. I had had a few beers. I haven't been pulled over (not counting two out of state bullshit speed traps) since the 90's. There was construction on 93 (all summer) and I was taking 24 south to get out of it. This car was on my ass on the ramp between the two highways and blew by me, so I gave him the finger as he passed me. Big mistake! It was a statie and he pulls me over. I was like, Noooooooooooo!!! But he was in a hurry (luckily) and came to my passenger window. License and registration (which I already have out, hands on the wheel, hand-cannon beneath my lap), have you been pulled over lately, I say no. Goes back to his cruiser, returns quickly, sends me on my way, and honest to God, tells me not to give other drivers the finger because you never know who is carrying a gun!
Oh! Meant to clarify that he never asked me if I had a gun in the vehicle. Nor if I had been drinking. Would have lied about the second but no idea how I would have answered the first. Needless to say, I never carry anymore if I am going to be drinking.

Back
Top Bottom