Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

eboos

NES Member
At about 5pm last night I went southbound on I 395 from Rt 20. Suddenly I was being pulled over by a State Trooper. This took me by complete surprise as I was driving the speed limit and not doing anything dumb. Trooper approaches from my passenger side. Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg. Since I didn't feel like getting shot at that particular moment, I let him know that I have a MA LTC and I was lawfully armed. He thanked me and asked for my documents. I mentioned that they were in my wallet and that I was carrying on my right hip. I retrieved the documents for him, and no further questions asked - written warning about the plate lights. When I got to where I was going, I confirmed that the plate lights were barely lit and picked up some new bulbs.

The trooper probably already knew you had a LTC before he exited his coffin / cruiser from the onboard computer.
You are lucky that you didn't get a pistol pointed in your face, regardless of stating whether or not you had a LTC, once you admitted you had a pistol on your side in this state.

At about 5pm last night I went southbound on I 395 from Rt 20. Suddenly I was being pulled over by a State Trooper. This took me by complete surprise as I was driving the speed limit and not doing anything dumb. Trooper approaches from my passenger side. Apparently, my plate lights were very dim - still lit, but very dim. He asks for my license and reg. Since I didn't feel like getting shot at that particular moment, I let him know that I have a MA LTC and I was lawfully armed. He thanked me and asked for my documents. I mentioned that they were in my wallet and that I was carrying on my right hip. I retrieved the documents for him, and no further questions asked - written warning about the plate lights. When I got to where I was going, I confirmed that the plate lights were barely lit and picked up some new bulbs.
you were very close to my neck of the woods. MA SP have 3 locations north/south 395 they are always working.

It's my experience your home staties treat you better than if you were pulled over in another state. 4 out of 5 times pulled over in MA for speeding, including once thru a construction zone got let off with a warning. Pulled over 2 other times in NJ and Ohio, police as Mr. Rogers to the cop, nope, tickets. OHP handed me ticket and smirked while instructing me how to contest the ticket and directions to the courthouse, knowing full well I was driving cross country with a car full of shit.

In your scenario, I understand why you told him. It sounds like you told him the correct way, too. Starting with license and avoiding hot words like "GUN!"

I've carried appendix for years now, so cops wouldn't see my rig anyway. That said, I usually just say nothing and hand them my LTC with my driver's license and reg. I figure that way if they ask me to get out at some point, they know the situation and don't get startled. People die when they get startled.

Mixed results. I don't get pulled over often, but I had one guy (state trooper) throw the license back in my lap and say "I didn't ask for that" and immediately starting walking back to the cruiser. Weird flex, but OK. All other times I was thanked and I think it may have earned some honesty points as I never walked away with a written infraction. Who knows, though. YMMV.

It's my experience your home staties treat you better than if you were pulled over in another state. 4 out of 5 times pulled over in MA for speeding, including once thru a construction zone got let off with a warning.
I am kind of a strange animal in the sense that I live in CT, have my car registered there, but own a MA business and have resident LTCs in both.

I am kind of a strange animal in the sense that I live in CT, have my car registered there, but own a MA business and have resident LTCs in both.
Nice. Curious, do you carry with pre-bans and when you go to MA, load it up to full capacity and when you cross the border back to CT, take out the extra booletz so it's back to ten? [rockon]

Nice. Curious, do you carry with pre-bans and when you go to MA, load it up to full capacity and when you cross the border back to CT, take out the extra booletz so it's back to ten? [rockon]
Was going to post a funny reply, but lets just leave it at: Moved to CT in 2015.

effn BS fishing trip stop

License plate lights not to his liking?

EFFn Ch90 S7 has not been updated in 50 years, cripes they were still using a couple of#194 bulbs

If you don't believe me read it and note the language about being able to install quartz halogen lights.... what is this 1980?

But Ch90 S6 says during the period when the vehicle or trailer is required to display lights the rear register number shall be illuminated so as to be plainly visible at a distance of sixty feet.

I bet you the plate was readable from 60 feet, he just had a hair across his vagina

Just his headlights alone would make the reflective qualities of the plate readable from 60 feet.

In your scenario, I understand why you told him. It sounds like you told him the correct way, too. Starting with license and avoiding hot words like "GUN!"

I've carried appendix for years now, so cops wouldn't see my rig anyway. That said, I usually just say nothing and hand them my LTC with my driver's license and reg. I figure that way if they ask me to get out at some point, they know the situation and don't get startled. People die when they get startled.

Mixed results. I don't get pulled over often, but I had one guy (state trooper) throw the license back in my lap and say "I didn't ask for that" and immediately starting walking back to the cruiser. Weird flex, but OK. All other times I was thanked and I think it may have earned some honesty points as I never walked away with a written infraction. Who knows, though. YMMV.
Just don't do that in Maine. You need to disclose immediately that you are carrying unless you have your optional LTC. I have an LTC here. It cost me $35.
I was told you are required to disclose it also in NH...true?

License plate lights not to his liking?

EFFn Ch90 S7 has not been updated in 50 years, cripes they were still using a couple of#194 bulbs

If you don't believe me read it and note the language about being able to install quartz halogen lights.... what is this 1980?

But Ch90 S6 says during the period when the vehicle or trailer is required to display lights the rear register number shall be illuminated so as to be plainly visible at a distance of sixty feet.

I bet you the plate was readable from 60 feet, he just had a hair across his vagina

Just his headlights alone would make the reflective qualities of the plate readable from 60 feet.
I noticed right before the stop he did turn off his headlights. After viewing the lights myself at my own leisure in a fairly well light parking lot I can say, it doesn't even look like the lights were functional until you got right up to them and say some faint light coming from the bulbs. Being someone who fishes for fishermen I could say this was a legit stop.

PS, and @mwalsh9152 knows this is true, when I was working at a friends gas station on Saturday mornings,and between gigs, I inspected cars for the most part.

I could bang 8 to 10 cars an hour thru my bay even with the emissions tests and I checked everything.

I rejected cars for side marker lights and plate lights all the time

I'd reject it, put the R sticker on, and then give the person the option of putting one in themselves, or I would do it for a couple of bucks and the cost of the bulb. I wasn't making any great amount of money selling light bulbs for a couple of bucks, but it gave me one of the highest rejection rates in the state, on paper, and that allowed me to fly under the radar on other things I would let slide as long as it wasn't a safety issue.

Some people bitched, but I had on the bulletin board next to the drivers window newspaper clippings from the local paper of all sorts of people getting arrested for this and that, with the probable cause starting with a side marker or license plate light being out.

These days, LED lights have reduced the number of failed lights to near zero, but when they do fail it is a royal PITA to replace a bulb.... you should not have to remove the front bumper or half the engine bay to get a side marker light into the housing but it happens every day, and license plate lights are not any easier

It's my experience your home staties treat you better than if you were pulled over in another state. 4 out of 5 times pulled over in MA for speeding, including once thru a construction zone got let off with a warning. Pulled over 2 other times in NJ and Ohio, police as Mr. Rogers to the cop, nope, tickets. OHP handed me ticket and smirked while instructing me how to contest the ticket and directions to the courthouse, knowing full well I was driving cross country with a car full of shit.

I got pulled over when I was 18 on the way back from the Cape at like 3am with a tapped beer ball inside the cabin of my car. Statie took one look, tried not to crack up, and made me dump it out on the shoulder. I thought I was toast for multiple reasons, but nothing. If that wasn't home state preferential treatment, I don't know what is.

Just don't do that in Maine. You need to disclose immediately that you are carrying unless you have your optional LTC. I have an LTC here. It cost me $35.
You couldn’t have missed the fact that if you have a carry permit there IS NO NEED TO NOTIFY.
NH is a no as well.

That's ridiculous if true. I would never bring up the fact that I am carrying but if he asked I would answer truthfully.

you were very close to my neck of the woods. MA SP have 3 locations north/south 395 they are always working.
Yep. I swear they practically live there. Nice and close to Tiny Tim's Cafe too (a cop favorite) for a sweet (but expensive) full breakfast! [thumbsup]
For sure. Total BS stop. But glad it went as well as could be expected. :)

Back
Top Bottom