Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

In unrelated news I was involved in a car accident. My truck was totaled and being towed. My son-in-law came to pick me up. i was on my way home from a match and had several rifles, handguns, gun belts and ammo cans to move to his car from my truck. Cops were a bit taken aback by all of it but gave me no hassle. Lesson to take away is be sure you are legal with firearms and ammunition in your vehicle cause you never know what can happen.

You don’t need to show them insurance unless you’re in
An accident.....
Yes you do, if you're in
Arkansas... or Texas... or Louisiana...

At the time I was a Texas resident stopped in Arkansas, and "license, registration, and proof of insurance" was required at any traffic stop. Even if you did have insurance, not having proof would get you a ticket (which you could get dismissed by showing up with proof at the county commissioner's court, and paying a $10 dismissal fee).

My then-wife once got a ticket in Texas because the cop who pulled her over kept demanding "proof of financial responsibility". It was the first time she'd ever been stopped, and had no idea what that even meant. Neither did I, when she got home and told me about it.

I asked around, and found out the cop wanted her insurance card. Well, duh, we had valid insurance, and it was in the glove compartment, if the a**h*** had just asked for it!

Yes you do, if you're in

At the time I was a Texas resident stopped in Arkansas, and "license, registration, and proof of insurance" was required at any traffic stop. Even if you did have insurance, not having proof would get you a ticket (which you could get dismissed by showing up with proof at the county commissioner's court, and paying a $10 dismissal fee).

My then-wife once got a ticket in Texas because the cop who pulled her over kept demanding "proof of financial responsibility". It was the first time she'd ever been stopped, and had no idea what that even meant. Neither did I, when she got home and told me about it.

I asked around, and found out the cop wanted her insurance card. Well, duh, we had valid insurance, and it was in the glove compartment, if the a**h*** had just asked for it!
I staple the insurance card to the registration.
The glove box is also not a dumpster.

Yes you do, if you're in

Man I’m sorry

Man I’m sorry
Feel sorry for the people who stayed in Texas, where your insurance status is (allegedly, maybe) automatically transmitted to the DMV and (allegedly, maybe) shows up (accurately or otherwise) every time police run your plate.

I got the hell out and moved to NH, where my insurance is half the price and isn't tied to my registration in any way.

Feel sorry for the people who stayed in Texas, where your insurance status is (allegedly, maybe) automatically transmitted to the DMV and (allegedly, maybe) shows up (accurately or otherwise) every time police run your plate.

I got the hell out and moved to NH, where my insurance is half the price and isn't tied to my registration in any way.
In Maine you must show proof at the time of annual registration. I’m unaware of any ties to the state because it’s all done by typewriter.

In Massachusetts, I believe, it is "tied" to your registration. If you don't have insurance, your registration gets cancelled. Am I wrong?

In Massachusetts, I believe, it is "tied" to your registration. If you don't have insurance, your registration gets cancelled. Am I wrong?
You are correct, but now you have me wondering if there are states near us where the cops would require an "insurance card" anyway. 🤔

My insurance company sends them out each year. I usually throw them away. Maybe a better idea to throw them in the glove box with all those other papers. 🤪

You are correct, but now you have me wondering if there are states near us where the cops would require an "insurance card" anyway. 🤔

My insurance company sends them out each year. I usually throw them away. Maybe a better idea to throw them in the glove box with all those other papers. 🤪
If you travel north of the border, ask your insurance company to send you a Canada insurance card with your renewal - free and available if your policy meets the statutory minimum in all Canadian provinces.

I've NEVER even heard the term "insurance card" until yesterday, on here.

Never got away much? Is this why your registration now reads no insurance card required or something similar?
i had an insurance card when I lived in New Jersey. But not in MA….because your insurance info is on the bottom of your registration and you don’t need one. But you can ASK for one for when you travel to other states that ask for same.

i had an insurance card when I lived in New Jersey. But not in MA….because your insurance info is on the bottom of your registration and you don’t need one. But you can ASK for one for when you travel to other states that ask for same.
In NH it is a separate slip of paper.

Not questioning your ability but were you trained by the military, martial arts, or a company like Simon Property Group, L.P.? Having never been in the military (standard training, special forces etc.), I'm going to guess either military or martial arts training!
Standard boxing. We learned some savate kicks as well. Guy was drunk and introduced a .30-06 into the crowd at a party. He could have shot any one of us, including me and my friends. I knocked him on his ass. I did the right thing. Flame me all you want.

I was trained in disarms. Someone pulls a gun or knife on me they are going to eat it. LEO or non LEO. I will take it away and use it on them real quick!
I was also trained in disarms. The first lesson of the training was that performing a disarm is one step short of suicide. If you think you are about to die, then yes give it a try. But it is very risky.

If you do manage to disarm a cop without getting killed, you will then land yourself in jail for a good long time.

Exactly, not sure why you'd wait for the cop to get to your window before getting license & reg out. Pull over, get your stuff out, turn dome light on if dark, both hands on the wheel.
Because I don’t want the cop to see me reaching for stuff. That puts a cop on edge. Either he thinks I’m reaching to get something (like a gun) or I’m reaching to hide something (like drugs). Much safer to wait with your hands at 10 and 2 until he asks for your license and registration. Then he can see what you are reaching for.

Just don't do that in Maine. You need to disclose immediately that you are carrying unless you have your optional LTC. I have an LTC here. It cost me $35.
I was told you are required to disclose it also in NH...true?
No. Not in NH.
PS, and @mwalsh9152 knows this is true, when I was working at a friends gas station on Saturday mornings,and between gigs, I inspected cars for the most part.

I could bang 8 to 10 cars an hour thru my bay even with the emissions tests and I checked everything.

I rejected cars for side marker lights and plate lights all the time

I'd reject it, put the R sticker on, and then give the person the option of putting one in themselves, or I would do it for a couple of bucks and the cost of the bulb. I wasn't making any great amount of money selling light bulbs for a couple of bucks, but it gave me one of the highest rejection rates in the state, on paper, and that allowed me to fly under the radar on other things I would let slide as long as it wasn't a safety issue.

Some people bitched, but I had on the bulletin board next to the drivers window newspaper clippings from the local paper of all sorts of people getting arrested for this and that, with the probable cause starting with a side marker or license plate light being out.

These days, LED lights have reduced the number of failed lights to near zero, but when they do fail it is a royal PITA to replace a bulb.... you should not have to remove the front bumper or half the engine bay to get a side marker light into the housing but it happens every day, and license plate lights are not any easier
You should try my Suzi. You need tiny little girl hands just to replace a headlight bulb.
Never answer a question that you are not being asked.
Glad you're giving this advice to an attorney who knows what he's doing.

NES ... where giving a DL to a cop and shutting up turns into "you need a PhD with a minimum of 17 traffic stops to properly deal with a cop when pulled over".

I
I was also trained in disarms. The first lesson of the training was that performing a disarm is one step short of suicide. If you think you are about to die, then yes give it a try. But it is very risky.

If you do manage to disarm a cop without getting killed, you will then land yourself in jail for a good long time.
Would easily a "good long time in jail" than certain death. A live man can continue to litigate his own future and get paroled. A dead man can't. Very simple. Police are not our friends. Get that shit quite straight. What really makes me laugh are those clowns telling us about their cop "buddies"! Like owning a pit viper, treating it kindly, until the day it delivers the fatal venomous bite!

PS, and @mwalsh9152 knows this is true, when I was working at a friends gas station on Saturday mornings,and between gigs, I inspected cars for the most part.

I could bang 8 to 10 cars an hour thru my bay even with the emissions tests and I checked everything.

I rejected cars for side marker lights and plate lights all the time

I'd reject it, put the R sticker on, and then give the person the option of putting one in themselves, or I would do it for a couple of bucks and the cost of the bulb. I wasn't making any great amount of money selling light bulbs for a couple of bucks, but it gave me one of the highest rejection rates in the state, on paper, and that allowed me to fly under the radar on other things I would let slide as long as it wasn't a safety issue.

Some people bitched, but I had on the bulletin board next to the drivers window newspaper clippings from the local paper of all sorts of people getting arrested for this and that, with the probable cause starting with a side marker or license plate light being out.

These days, LED lights have reduced the number of failed lights to near zero, but when they do fail it is a royal PITA to replace a bulb.... you should not have to remove the front bumper or half the engine bay to get a side marker light into the housing but it happens every day, and license plate lights are not any easier
Not to derail but I had a bulb issue on a newer car a couple of years ago. I thought it was corroded wires on a poor trailer hitch install. Dicked with it for hours. Bought a new twilight assembly because...sealed unit.
Turned out to be a blown fuse🤦‍♂️

NES ... where giving a DL to a cop and shutting up turns into "you need a PhD with a minimum of 17 traffic stops to properly deal with a cop when pulled over".
LOLz

I far, far exceed the 17 stops requirement. Nearly all of them were obtained in the halcyon days when there were no points or steps, just a $50 dues payment to the Speeders Club of Massachusetts.

My “rap sheet” was ... energetically … noted by a local a few years ago. He was not appreciative when I pointed out that all of them predated his appearance in a maternity ward. Nonetheless, that interaction ended up with a verbal warning. I’m really good at getting those now that I have a bald spot and grey in my mustache and am no longer a punk kid who needs a lesson!

(I fail on the Ph.D requirement so have refrained from comment, but perhaps experience in lieu of credential might apply?)

Back
Top Bottom