• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got Powder ?

EddieZoom

NES Member
Been doing some general cleanup in the reloading space. Started to wonder how many different brands of powder I have on hand. Like many here I have gone through powder buying binges or been sucked into the latest/greatest (Sport Pistol comes to mind).

I'm talking variety, not quantity. So, for example 1lb of TiteGroup = 1, 15lb's of TiteGroup still =1.

Except for 223, I am a pistol loader/shooter (edit: forgot I started loading shotshell as well)

I have 15 different powders currently in my stash...how about you ?

Last edited:
18? 20?

IMR4064
IMR4895
IMR4350
H4895
Varget
Unique
CFE Blk
VV N150
8208XBR
RL17
Win748
Win231
TiteGroup
Clays

Also have Triple se7en pellets and some BP, but I’m assuming this post is for smokeless?

Looking at around 170-180lbs or so total.

Another 8lb’r and I’ll literally own my weight in smokeless powder :)

Last edited:
I have 15 different powders currently in my stash...how about you ?

I've tried to use up things so as to avoid that. If I hadn't, I might have remnants of 17 different pistol powders on hand with the 18th on the way. As it stands, right now I have, in stock, 3 pistol powders with a 4th on the way. I could get by with 2, generally, a magnum powder in the H110/W296/2400/N110 class, and a versatile medium burn-rate powder that works in 9mm, 38SP, and 45C. For short while I just had N110 and Auto Pistol on hand, but I guess I kind of like exploring alternatives, and the shortages have steered me in directions I might otherwise not have gone.

CFE BLK
W572
W748
LONGSHOT
H110
W296
HYBRID 100V

Started earlier this year and I'm loading for .223, .243, 9mm, .45 colt, and 300 blackout. I tried tightgroup, CFE 223, and a few others, but gave them away. Pretty much all my pistol loads are using W572 shotgun powder now.

Only been reloading since a few months before the whole covid bullshit started , but I have only one powder and it's WIN231. Works well for me in the calibers that I load ........
I’m one of the odd balls that started loading in the past 5 or 6 years that still uses mostly win231 for pistol. I’m sitting on about 15lbs of it and I need to get my reloading bench cleaned so I can pump out about 10000 rounds. I’m in a terrible slump lately and I’ve barely even been to the range this year.

I’m one of the odd balls that started loading in the past 5 or 6 years that still uses mostly win231 for pistol. I’m sitting on about 15lbs of it and I need to get my reloading bench cleaned so I can pump out about 10000 rounds. I’m in a terrible slump lately and I’ve barely even been to the range this year.
I had made so many rounds during the early winter that I also haven't made anything in quite awhile. I need to start pumping some out as well so that I don't start running low.

Only been reloading since a few months before the whole covid bullshit started , but I have only one powder and it's WIN231. Works well for me in the calibers that I load ........
If you're only gonna have 1, Win231 is a solid choice. Tried and true...I use it for 38 & 45...tough to beat. Where i got into trouble was chasing "magic unicorn powder" for 9 & 40 (yep, i load 40). Turns out there is no such thing as unicorns :D

Enough powder to supply a civil war II. I could care less about the current panic, I spent stupid coin stockpiling over the past 9 years. Have not set foot in a gun store in almost 2 years.

Screenshot (1).png

Very nice. That’s the way to do it.
You definitely shoot more rifle I take it?
No, not really. I think I shoot a bit more pistol than rifle but remember a typical rifle charge is from 25 to 43+ gr of powder , typical handgun is 3 to 13 gr so hence why I need a lot more rifle powder by volume. I try to keep all my reloading components inventory matched and balanced, and Excel is a big help. So if I have 13# of Varget rifle, I have a matched quantity of bullets to use that quantity of powder.

No, not really. I think I shoot a bit more pistol than rifle but remember a typical rifle charge is from 25 to 43+ gr of powder , typical handgun is 3 to 13 gr so hence why I need a lot more rifle powder by volume. I try to keep all my reloading components inventory matched and balanced, and Excel is a big help. So if I have 13# of Varget rifle, I have a matched quantity of bullets to use that quantity of powder.
Noice

If you're only gonna have 1, Win231 is a solid choice. Tried and true...I use it for 38 & 45...tough to beat. Where i got into trouble was chasing "magic unicorn powder" for 9 & 40 (yep, i load 40). Turns out there is no such thing as unicorns :D
No unicorns for fotay, but there is Hodgdon Titegroup and VV N320.

Back
Top Bottom