Got (my) Sig

Have been interested in guns for many years but never really motivated getting my permit in my 20's, partially because I knew that as soon as I did things would get expensive...fast and I have too many other money-sucking hobbies already.

Well, some coincidences placed me in a class at MFS and I wound up applying for my permit, partially because I live in Arlington now and wanted to get it before I move in case I move to a town that is not such a big fan of the second amendment. Applied and got the permit back in about a month and change.

I had never fired a gun outside of an air rifle before all this began, so I quickly became hooked on going up to Manchester Firing Line and shooting every potentially MA compliant pistol I could get my hands on. I was losing a fair amount of cash going up there, and will probably continue to do so, at least until I can get over to MRA and join up there.

I want to do some more training to improve my marksmanship but I have been fiendishly researching on how to improve and putting many rounds down the range in the process. I've found that I am terrible with almost any poly frame gun for some reason, really good with a S&W 686 (oh man is that fun to shoot), but I liked the Sig 229 the best of all the autoloaders I have tried. Comfortable, accurate, my girl was able to shoot it comfortably, etc. I was almost going to get a .40 but wound up with a 9 instead, which is probably better at least until my shooting improves...then maybe a Sig 220 .45.

Anyway, went over to Four Seasons to check out prices and MAN what a deal they had on the 229! I bought one on the spot, went home, and my father and I went back to pick up another one for him. Cheaper than I've seen it anywhere with or without night sights. Good stuff. I wanna have some work done to it, maybe put some of the hogue grips with the finger notches on it, etc.

Went up to Manchester and put 250 rounds of +P through it (all they had) the other day. Love it. Nice to have my own for a change. I still gotta pick up ammo in bulk so I can stop paying insane prices to shoot.

Pictured here with MA compliant 10 round mag and Gold Dot +P hollow points.

IMG_4859ab.jpg

...and here's my best target from the day @25ft. Not great but could be worse.

IMG_4862ab.jpg

You purchased a great firearm! Congrats on your new handgun.

And if you're like many others here, it won't be your last...

:)

Carl and crew over at Four Seasons is awesome. Glad to see you picked out a great gun, enjoy it!

Nice pistol!

There are other clubs besides MRA that you should check out. If all you have is pistol, Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden is (IMHO) the best indoor pistol range in Eastern MA. I'm a member at MRA and Mystic Valley. I can't remember the last time I went to MRA but I'm at Mystic at least twice a week.

http://mysticvalleygunclub.com/

Last edited:
Thanks peoples. You guys are right about Sigs. I had some people try to convince me on other brands but when I started shooting the Sigs the gun just felt right. Super comfortable, super accurate for a new shooter.

The only Sig I've shot that I didn't like was their 1911. It's the only 1911 I've shot too but it was horrendously uncomfortable...digging in to my hand. Sig doesnt seem to be known for their 1911, though, so I'll hafta try out a S&W one at some point.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I shot it against white too and it just wasn't right!!

Nice pistol!

There are other clubs besides MRA that you should check out. If all you have is pistol, Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden is (IMHO) the best indoor pistol range in Eastern MA. I'm a member at MRA and Mystic Valley. I can't remember the last time I went to MRA but I'm at Mystic at least twice a week.

http://www.mvgunclub.com/

I had looked there, but I think I got sidetracked looking at MRA. MV might be slightly more convenient for me....I will take a second look. I will be getting in to rifles at some point, but for now pistols are it.

I had looked there, but I think I got sidetracked looking at MRA. MV might be slightly more convenient for me....I will take a second look. I will be getting in to rifles at some point, but for now pistols are it.

If you ever want to take a tour and visit as my guest (either club, or both) just PM me. I have a few Sigs and some other toys that I could bring out to play. I should probably mention that .22 rifles are OK at Mystic if that's your thing.

If you ever want to take a tour and visit as my guest (either club, or both) just PM me. I have a few Sigs and some other toys that I could bring out to play. I should probably mention that .22 rifles are OK at Mystic if that's your thing.

Thanks brother, I might just take you up on that after the holiday.

hello there

Nice pistol!

http://www.mvgunclub.com/

hello my name is Joe or Jay as my friends call me...so i live in EVERETT, MA and in the next month or two i will hopefully have a license. and when/if i get it i am interested in joining MVGC but i need a sponsor. i was hoping that you might be interested in helping me out. maybe chat for a while or go shooting with you sometime. i like the location and i like the way things are set up in there. it is also very close to my house. so let me know what you think and get back to me. ok thanks man.
my personal email is [email protected]

hello my name is Joe or Jay as my friends call me...so i live in EVERETT, MA and in the next month or two i will hopefully have a license. and when/if i get it i am interested in joining MVGC but i need a sponsor. i was hoping that you might be interested in helping me out. maybe chat for a while or go shooting with you sometime. i like the location and i like the way things are set up in there. it is also very close to my house. so let me know what you think and get back to me. ok thanks man.
my personal email is [email protected]

If you want to join, your best bet is to come down on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 7:00pm to meet the membership committee. If you just want a tour, come down any Wednesday night and someone will be happy to show you around. If you haven't taken your safety class yet the club offers those as well.

To be perfectly clear, I'm just a regular member. I'm not on the membership committee or anything like that.

Here's the link to info on new membership: http://mysticvalleygunclub.com/join/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom