Got my Mosin-Nagant today

I found a Mosin-Nagant for a decent price, $99.99.
Collectible up in Merrimack recieved a crate a few days ago.
It was my first time there. The guys were very friendly and helpful.
All the numbers matched on the ones I inspected.
The bores looked brand new. Looks like the dates are in the 1940's
I also picked up a Spam can of ammo for it, $99.
Any suggestions on the best way to clean it?

There are some good YouTube videos about this.

For the metal parts...

Tear them all down (including bolt) and soak them in one of those disposable turkey pans with a mixture of hot water and simple green. The cosmoline will come right off.

Whatever you use make sure you're thorough immediately after shooting it or the corrosive primers will rust everything it touches. A lot of people use windex (original) with ammonia or pour hot water down the barrel. You can also use the standard Hoppes 9 or other cleaners.

ETA: It occurs to me you were probably referring to cleaning the cosmoline out of it. I normally just wipe it down with a rag and get a handful of q-tips that can easily fit into the internals. It works pretty well, you don't need anything fancy to get the job done.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on the best way to clean it?

wd40-11.jpg

Use it along with an old toothbrush and some rags. WD disolves cosmolene and protects the metal at the same time.

I just love the smell of cosmoline on a 91/30, along with the mold and mildew smell of the ammo pouches.

one thing I was not aware of when I first got my mosin......firepin protrusion. Its easy to check with the tool and easy to change after bolt disassembly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLE-tbpVR-A im not really sure how it happened. I did not touch the screw BUT I did turn just about every part of the bolt on the 2nd cleaning after I test fired it. (I did a quick bore/chamber/bolt clean and test fired) on the next tri p out my mosin went click click click ?
didnt take long to figure it out though.

Make sure you clean the chamber REALLY well. If not you will be using a hammer to open the bolt after the chamber gets hot.

I use Ed's Red to clean my surplus firearms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom