• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got My Maine Non-Res

Still waiting on my non res permit, been a few months now.....

ace57
My wife and I have been waiting for that long too. She called them on 7-3-08 to ask what the hold up was and was told 60 days was the normal turn around. Last time it only took them about a month. Most of the State agencies in Maine have had some serious financial cut backs within the last year. I suspect that might be the real reason.[wink]

sent my non-res app in on 4/20, they cashed my check the first week of May, I just got my permit last week after calling them to check on the status.

5/18/2008 - Applied for ME Non-Res by mail
6/17/2008 - Check cashed
8/13/2008 - Received ME Non-Res LTC

The date issued says 8/15/2008, at least it's future dated.

Update:

I received my permit today, permit has an issue date of tomorrow, 8/21.

I mailed the application on 6/18. Exactly 9 weeks.

Get FL instead of PA non-resident CCW?

My application went out with Mr Postman this afternoon along with NH. Now it's time for Pennsylvania.

Just a suggestion, but since FL would give you PA plus a host of other states as a non-resident, if the costs are similar (and taking into account that the FL license is good for seven years), wouldn't it make sense to get the FL non-resident CCW instead?

/Just trying to help a brother out
/I don't work for FLDACS
/This offer not valid in Uruguay

If you apply for and get a UTAH non-resident CCW, they are good for 30+ states.

weaponcrafttraining in Cumberland, ME does a simple class for the upgrade, and the fingerprinting and photo, both of which are required.

Process is fairly simple and fast.

Oh, boy. I am screwed. My check was just cashed.
I had inquired to the MSP as to whether I could apply as a resident since I live in Maine but my home of record is Massachusetts. Sgt. Gomane answered me yes.
I applied to the local pd in January. In March I called to inquire about the status.
The Lt told me I needed to call Joanne in Augusta. She stated that since I didn't have a Maine DL I had to apply as a non resident.
I then mailed my application to Augusta, which they kindly mailed back to me telling me to apply to the local pd.
I call them back and say WTF? you told me to apply as a non res, then you send it back telling me to apply as a res.
It is decided that I would apply as a non res and mail it back to the state.
This was done in mid April. It looks like I should expect something in July.
Nothing like waiting 6 months from original application date until issuance.

Then I can apply for NH

I only have a Mass DL. I am a Mass resident. But since I am stationed in Maine, and live in Maine I can (with a copy of my orders) buy firearms from Maine dealers and buy a Maine resident fishing license, so I took a chance that I may be able to get the Maine resident CCW and save $25. Sgt Gomane at the MSP said yes, however the lady that processes the application there said no. Mysteriously Sgt. Gomane never bothered to reply to follow up emails.

Just got a reply from Sgt. Gomane, ME SP wrt "knowledge of firearms" requirement. I asked if a copy of my NRA Instructor Certification was adequate and the answer is YES.

I'm in the process of applying for a ME CCW permit and after reading the thread above, I still have a question. I have a NRA Home Firearm Safety Course dated 2/2004 which wouldn't work since it is longer than the required five year requirement. I also have a DD214. Does the DD214 allow me to continue with the CCW application process, or should I take another NRA course and then apply?

Correct. Just got mine a couple of weeks back, and it took all of 90 days if not a bit more.

As a side note, they were very pleasant to deal with! I made a small, obvious, mistake on my application (I filled-in my height into the form field for weight) and a clerk from the State Police actually called my house, spoke with my wife, and corrected the form for me. How cool is THAT?

Correct. Just got mine a couple of weeks back, and it took all of 90 days if not a bit more.

As a side note, they were very pleasant to deal with! I made a small, obvious, mistake on my application (I filled-in my height into the form field for weight) and a clerk from the State Police actually called my house, spoke with my wife, and corrected the form for me. How cool is THAT?

THAT is Maine. The way life should be. :)

THAT is Maine. The way life should be. :)

Not sure what part of Maine you are in. The townies around me are not very nice to deal with.

I saw some posts of people having theirs laminated, I am jealous. When I get mine it is just a super cheap piece of paper with my name on it and other info. I had to laminate it myself. No photo either.

[cerberus];2748012 said:
Not sure what part of Maine you are in. The townies around me are not very nice to deal with.

I saw some posts of people having theirs laminated, I am jealous. When I get mine it is just a super cheap piece of paper with my name on it and other info. I had to laminate it myself. No photo either.

You live in Southern Maine, that is like living in MA. ;)

Yours must be issued by your town. Mine is as well and it is just a little form on card stock that they hand write in the info. You have to love it.

No, it just takes a very long time. Plan on waiting 3-4 months just to be on the safe side. Mine took 3 months and a drive to ME SP HQ in Augusta to pick it up or it would have taken an additional month!

Back
Top Bottom