• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got My Maine Non-Res

I mailed mine out around August 20th or so.
I received mine today.

Strange how much quicker mine was than yours.
I guess they do them in batches and not a rolling system.

just got mine mail it out on aug 9 got it today sept 28

Mine looks like a 5 year old put it together and then laminated it.
My picture was smudged with someone's gigantic thumb print and it is now ingrained permanently into the lamination.

Stranger.
My date of issue is 9/28/2007.
That's the day I received it. So they post-dated my license before they mailed it?

I just read this therad and checked out the website. I'll have to try and get mine. I noiticed thefee was $60 but doesnt say how long its good for. Is a non-res 1 year?

I am in the process of filling out my Maine Application. I am trying to inquire about having a restricted Mass License and obtaining a Maine CCW. The contact person's electronic mail box has been full for a while, so I'll try again tomorrow and report my results.

Has anybody with a restricted Mass. LTC received a Maine CCW recently?

I know we're screwed in NH, but it seems Maine is OK. Anybody?

I did. I have an T&H restricted Class A and got my unrestricted ME non-resident license in September. I just filled out the application as stated. I would recommend not calling anyone to ask questions for which you do not want to hear the answers.

I'll probably start the NH non-resident process using the ME license in January.

I did. I have an T&H restricted Class A and got my unrestricted ME non-resident license in September. I just filled out the application as stated. I would recommend not calling anyone to ask questions for which you do not want to hear the answers.

I'll probably start the NH non-resident process using the ME license in January.

Did you attach of copy of your Mass LTC? They ask if you have a CCW permit in any state? I'm indicating an LTC for sporting purposes only, or is that information that they are not asking for...?[thinking]

I've got my Maine and NH non-resident permits, but now I want to get a Florida CCW Non-resident permit.

A Florida Non-res permit is valid in about 23 states with reciprocity. Add a Utah permit and you're up to 30+ states. You'll still need a separate one for every N.E. state though.

Did you attach of copy of your Mass LTC? They ask if you have a CCW permit in any state? I'm indicating an LTC for sporting purposes only, or is that information that they are not asking for...?[thinking]
As I recall that was a yes/no question that I answered "yes". My logic is that my Class A license does not say "no CCW" therefore it allows me to concealed carry for target and hunting purposes. For example, it is my understanding that I can carry concealed when hunting or I could do so for something like IDPA.

I included a copy of my LTC.

Last edited:
As I recall that was a yes/no question that I answered "yes". My logic is that my Class A license does not say "no CCW" therefore it allows me to concealed carry for target and hunting purposes. For example, it is my understanding that I can carry concealed when hunting or I could do so for something like IDPA.

I included a copy of my LTC.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your help.

I don't actually think concealed carry is ever allowed on public land,
so you might want to double check. Besides, 10 towns, 10 diffferent opinions.

FWIW, I own some real estate in SC and am eligible for a license in that state, plus I am going to go for a UTAH permit as well. I'm trying to work something out with the instructor down there right now.

Geographically, Mass is a little piss hole, and there is a big world outide of it.

I've got my Maine and NH non-resident permits, but now I want to get a Florida CCW Non-resident permit.

A Florida Non-res permit is valid in about 23 states with reciprocity. Add a Utah permit and you're up to 30+ states. You'll still need a separate one for every N.E. state though.

I think its closer to 31 states that rec. Floridas

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/floridarec.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Last edited:
I will be mailing my Maine application tomorrow

I found a school in SC that will get me UTAH permit as well as SC. Not counting the states that will only reciprocate if they are your home state (NH, MI, FL, and one or two others, that will give me about 25 states, some of which I actually do visit from time to time [laugh]).

These are places that I will look to first for adventures and training, and these are places where I'll take my dollars. Plus my schedule affords lots of time off do to this, so take that Ted and Deval.

Working out a date with the instructor for early December. I will keep you all updated with what I learn with regards to Maine and all these other states as well.

Massachusetts is like a bad restaurant. I think I'll be getting my lunch somewhere else from now on.

I don't actually think concealed carry is ever allowed on public land
Oh yes it is. National Forests are OK, and so are public lands in most states.

CCW is 100% legal in all Ohio public lands except National Park Service units (which we have none).

Oh yes it is. National Forests are OK, and so are public lands in most states.

CCW is 100% legal in all Ohio public lands except National Park Service units (which we have none).

Sorry, my bad. I meant that with a restricted permit, in mASS, you can not carry concealed in public places.

Stranger.
My date of issue is 9/28/2007.
That's the day I received it. So they post-dated my license before they mailed it?

Kudos to the Maine State Police

They post dated mine 3 days to account for the mail, so no days are wasted while the license was in transit.

They had no problem with a Mass. neutered permit

Their department was halved due to medical leaves but I still got it in less than 90 days.

Good job, Maine!

Mine looks like a 5 year old put it together and then laminated it.
My picture was smudged with someone's gigantic thumb print and it is now ingrained permanently into the lamination.

Non Res have pictures on them? Wow , my res permit is just a piece of paper with minimal info on it .

ok.. I have a question from their handbook : "Demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety".

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if
the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration
of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.
The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any
of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic firearms
training.

I've had an ALP for 32 yrs....I was 17 when I took my safety course.
Will I have to take another course to satisfy ME & CT?

o

I've had an ALP for 32 yrs....I was 17 when I took my safety course.
Will I have to take another course to satisfy ME & CT?

Unfortunately I think the answer is going to be yes. Several years ago I faced the same issue for Maine, I sent a certificate that was 6 years old and an explanation that I had my license for over a decade. They the sent everything back saying it didn't meet the requirements. I ended up taking the NRA home safety course for a few hours just to satisfy the requirement and it went through without a problem. Give them a call just to confirm though.

Regards,
Paul

Unfortunately I think the answer is going to be yes. Several years ago I faced the same issue for Maine, I sent a certificate that was 6 years old and an explanation that I had my license for over a decade. They the sent everything back saying it didn't meet the requirements. I ended up taking the NRA home safety course for a few hours just to satisfy the requirement and it went through without a problem. Give them a call just to confirm though.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks...that's what I thought...trying not to blow another $100.[sad]

Regards,
Paul

You're right...Here's my answer:

The short answer is that you will have to have a course within the last five years, a letter from a full time law enforcement officer stating that you have sufficient handgun safety knowledge to qualify for a Maine concealed firearms permit, or a copy of a DD214.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Gomane

Back
Top Bottom