• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my Lyman auto-flo tumbler. Newbie Review

This is my first tumbler and my first attempt at case cleaning. Take that with a grain of salt.

I purchased this tumbler from Midway for just over 100 bucks

Link to info here:
*2 Gallon bowl can hold up to 1000 38 cases
*Has a plug underneath the bowl that allows you to drain the media out

s7_215278_imageset_01

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0012545215278a.shtml

When it arrived I expected something larger.
This was a more expensive unit capable of handling more brass.

After receiving it I can't imagine how someone could have one that is smaller.
1000 rds of 9mm fits in there pretty easily so I guess I had strange expectations.

Not quite sure how I feel about the auto-flo feature. If media seperation is very time consuming after tumbling then maybe it's a good thing. (I don't have a seperator) It's definitely very loud as the brass is just bouncing off each other when there is little media left in the bowl. You need to use your hand to mix and turn the brass so most of the media is out of the casings.

The media exit spout could be a bit longer. It drops some media too close to the base of the unit. Even 1 inch would have been nicer.

The bowl they give you to catch the media is too small. It'll hold maybe 4 lbs of media. I run mine with about 7lbs

The unit has been on straight: 24 hours a day since Friday night.
I'm hoping to run it straight for the next couple days to clean all the brass that I have.

I've cleaned about 6000 9mm so far. I put in about 11 pounds of cases, 7 pounds of media per tumble. I leave it on for 4-6 hours each time.

I just bought one of the Lyman tumblers too - I ended up getting the 2200 auto flow:

s7_210584_imageset_02

What are you using for media? I stopped at Petsmart and picked up some walnet shell litter - and left some .223 cases in for a couple of hours and I am not really seeing the cleaning and polishing I would have expected.

... left some .223 cases in for a couple of hours and I am not really seeing the cleaning and polishing I would have expected.

4-6-8 hours to clean cases in mine.
Adding some of the Lyman abrasive can speed things up a bit.
You will remove surface dirt and powder residue with untreated walnut media.
Stains and/or light surface corrosion will require treated media.
I've also used corncob with chrome polish on nickled cases.

A timer is handy if you want to set it and forget it.

Jack

What are you using for media? I stopped at Petsmart and picked up some walnet shell litter - and left some .223 cases in for a couple of hours and I am not really seeing the cleaning and polishing I would have expected.

I went up to Beede's in Lowell and picked up a 50 pound bag of Anderson's Grit-o-cob 1014 for $20.

Nice tumbler. Sounds like it will be busy for a while.

You can take a piece of aluminum flashing and make a little funnel/chute for when the unit is dumping the cob. I have a Cabela's that works pretty good for what I need done. Until my kitchen is well under in its remodel I can't uncover my bench to play since it is under construction area.

Nice tumbler. Sounds like it will be busy for a while.

You can take a piece of aluminum flashing and make a little funnel/chute for when the unit is dumping the cob. I have a Cabela's that works pretty good for what I need done. Until my kitchen is well under in its remodel I can't uncover my bench to play since it is under construction area.

Good idea. I was toying with idea of building a little chute.

Do normal media seperaters do a good job removing media out of 223?

The neck is rather small. My auto-flo tends to just orient them all upright which makes them easy to grab and sort, but most of them still have media inside them.

Any media seperator I have used had reomved it all save for a few little pieces. Just pour it into the "drum" and turn handle until empty. Pretty simple and effective.

Last edited:
Still going.

55lbs of 9mm done
38lbs of 223 done.

It's still humming away.

I think I'm falling in love with the smell...and I need a media seperator. Ordering one tomorrow.

KIDS STUFF!!!

Hahaha

I've got boxes that I can't lift.... all bright and shiny..

J/K (about it being mere kids stuff....) Congrats on a great purchase.

I have more polished brass than you do though, but I am sure it's less than Mr Coyle. hahaha

Still going.

55lbs of 9mm done
38lbs of 223 done.

It's still humming away.

I think I'm falling in love with the smell...and I need a media seperator. Ordering one tomorrow.

KIDS STUFF!!!

Hahaha

I've got boxes that I can't lift.... all bright and shiny..

J/K (about it being mere kids stuff....) Congrats on a great purchase.

I have more polished brass than you do though, but I am sure it's less than Mr Coyle. hahaha

I'm going as fast as I can. Literally 24 hours a day since Friday.

I'm afraid of running the thing into the ground...but I do have a 1 year warranty on it.

One day I'll catch up to EC and you

Last edited:
Still going.

55lbs of 9mm done
38lbs of 223 done.

It's still humming away.

Don't take too much of a whiff of the media while tumbling....
Alot of lead particulate is stirred up in tumbling....

Stay safe and enjoy reloading...

Steve

Don't take too much of a whiff of the media while tumbling....
Alot of lead particulate is stirred up in tumbling....

Stay safe and enjoy reloading...

Steve

I can't help it! Smells like terriyaki old spice.

Do you see dust when you are tumbling? I don't.

Just an update.

This machine ran from Friday to Friday morning (1 week) non-stop unless I was swapping brass in/out and sifting through it.

I've since given it a weekend break and will be firing it up again.

Awesome little thing.

You may need a BUT (back up tumbler).[laugh] It is so addictive, but stop smelling the dust.

Any pics of all your shiny brass?

Cool pics - I have to try and get my way up to Lowell this week and get some of that Grit O Cob. Is that what you used to get that brass looking all nice and shiny?

Actually no not yet. If you look at the top picture you'll see the 2 gigantic bags of grit-o-cob and then immediately to the bottom left of the press you will see a small white box labelled "Lyman".

I used that 10 pound box. About 3 pounds left.

Nice pics. I think I ran my corn too long, I could not get it that clean and I ran it for hours. When you are done re-sizing and using the Dillon Super Swager then comes the fun part. Trimming, chamfur and de-burr. I trimmed 4k by hand (600 left) and will use drill press for the chamfer/de-burr.

Last edited:
Nice pics. I think I ran my corn too long, I could not get it that clean and I ran it for hours. When you are done re-sizing and using the Dillon Super Swager then comes the fun part. Trimming, chamfur and de-burr. I trimmed 4k by hand (600 left) and will use drill press for the chamfer/de-burr.

I use some fritz to mix in with the cob as well as some liquid car wax. I don't measure, just squirt.

Yeah it will take some time for me to prep all the cases.

When you use your super swager do you pull the handle all the way down? I'm afraid of opening up the primer pocket too much.

My wilson case trimmer arrives tomorrow via Fedex.

Actually no not yet. If you look at the top picture you'll see the 2 gigantic bags of grit-o-cob and then immediately to the bottom left of the press you will see a small white box labelled "Lyman".

I used that 10 pound box. About 3 pounds left.

So which Lyman media are you using to get the brass that shiny? I saw a few different ones listed on Midway when I was looking last night. I stopped by the place in Lowell and picked up a bag of the finest Grit O Cob this morning and I will try some of that out tonite when I get home.

De, you need to adjust the pin that the case rests on by loosening the bolt and setting it so when you swing the handle all the way down it doesn't deform any cases. It is a neat tool. Look for the directions on Dillon site.

So which Lyman media are you using to get the brass that shiny? I saw a few different ones listed on Midway when I was looking last night. I stopped by the place in Lowell and picked up a bag of the finest Grit O Cob this morning and I will try some of that out tonite when I get home.

I actually bought it from collectors for about $25 for 10 pounds. Pretty expensive compared to the Beede's.

I was watching a video online of some tumbling and it seems that I use quite a bit of liquid car wax and fritz brass polish. I don't get any dust at all from tumbling.

I believe it is this stuff
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=318655

De, you need to adjust the pin that the case rests on by loosening the bolt and setting it so when you swing the handle all the way down it doesn't deform any cases. It is a neat tool. Look for the directions on Dillon site.

Ok will do. Thanks for the tip. Still more to learn.

Yep. I've just started using the Dillon swager, so I'm still learning. If you feel a lot of resistance when you're swaging, back off the rod on the Dillon. It doesn't take a lot of force to swage brass, particularly with the Dillon tool. You only need to gently round the edges of the primer pocket. Too much swaging is just as bad as too little.

Back
Top Bottom