Got my first Garand today!

I bought my first Garand today, I cant wait to shoot it tomorrow! Glad they were nice enough to warn me of Garand thumb, that looks painful. Everything is in great condition My C&R permit went out today also(second app, first didnt go thru), im hooked on this Mil-surp stuff now!

Last edited:
Congratulations! They are amazing rifles!

nice!

"garand thumb"???? never heard of it [laugh]

edit: never mind... http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu62.htm interesting. i've never ever heard this before.

This is how one gets "Garand Thumb":
garandthumb.jpg

This is the proper way to load one:
avoidgarandthumb.jpg

Yep! Looks like a solid 10 on the suck scale. OUCH! Ive never shot a Garand, does it compare to an auto 12 or 20 gauge??

The recoil isn't bad: not as bad as a bolt action 30-06. And they are quite accurate for a milsurp semi-auto. Firing a 60 round CMP match is no big deal at all. They have good sights and a long sight radius so it's easy to get comfortable with one quickly. And the "clang" when they clip ejects is cool.

But loading your thumb into the chamber is an unforgettable life experience. Once you seat the en bloc clip, the bolt will close, assisted by a substantial spring: if your thumb is still in place, it gets "grabbed" by the bolt and shoved into the chamber. If you keep your hand close to the receiver, you can control the bolt so this doesn't happen, although you might then have to slap the op rod forward to make sure it's in battery.
e62-4.jpg

I'm left handed so proper technique is even more important.

Last edited:
I'm leaning to getting a Garand as my next rifle, putting off a matching Mauser. I guess any self-respecting American Mil-Surp collector needs one. I've my eye on a 1942 Serial numbered one at my local gun shop. Looks OK at $650, but a little shabby next to a $1500 National Match version. I don't care about pretty, but war dated matters to me. Now to raise the cash...

MS

Yea I figured if I could handle the 12 gauge slug rounds through my 870 this would be a breeze! I just did some research and this Garand has a serial in the 1772XXX issue putting it in Springfields 1943 run mid/late summer. Im new to Garands so I dont know if thats good or bad, but regardless im in love with this thing. I was told something in the trigger group was the only thing not matching besides the lower stock which appears to be a blank of some sort, no markings but still matching up color wise to the top stock pieces. All in all im happy. I paid 900 for everything. Considering all the ammo, im VERY happy.

Once you seat the en bloc clip, the bolt will close
[STRIKE]
Not supposed to. Once you seat the clip, the bolt will not close until you pull back on the oprod handle to let the bolt latch drop away. Just like a semi auto handgun.

If yours drops the bolt immediately without touching the oprond handle, something is worn or out of time.

When loading with the right hand, the rear edge of your hand should be pushing back on the oprod handle while your RH thumb seats the clip. That way the weight is off the bolt catch when the clip seats so the bolt can fly forward. Depending on your clips, the bolt may or may not strip a cartridge and chamber all the way. If the bolt does not slam shut immediately (which is not a defect) a slap to the back of the oprod handle will finish the job[/STRIKE].

Well, scratch all that. Sucks going from memory but you are correct. I went to the safe and pulled the rifle out. It works exactly as you describe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jdubs
was that a CMP? I just got mine from CMP. yours is much nicer. if you got it from luck of the draw, you won!

Actually I had the Check written for the CMP and the form filled out getting ready to mail it the next day when I did a Garand search here to learn more and I found this Gem from another fellow NES'er in the classified section. I was getting ready to buy a special grade, I most likely still will, but have heard good things about the other grades but like you said, luck of the draw still! Hows it shoot!? Congrats is in order for you as well, another adoption and member to your family!

I can't wait to get one, they are so cool and WWII period one is even better! I shot my 1st one last weekend. [smile]

This will be my first time too, was it adictive like crack to a crack head or what?! Im pretty sure it will be to me after I pull the trigger for the first time!!![laugh]

Congrads! I got mine early in December. Be sure to do a detailed strip down and clean and lubricate everything before bringing her to the range.
Thanks Navy! Oh yea, that got checked off my list the minute I got home, I just had to PLAY with it haha I also photo'ed all the parts with serials so I can research and record.[smile]

Not supposed to. Once you seat the clip, the bolt will not close until you pull back on the oprod handle to let the bolt latch drop away. Just like a semi auto handgun.

I wondered about that, I remember seeing videos showing that. They stuffed it in and nothing budged without the extra bump on the handle. I'll secure mine but keep an eye to see if it stays or not while safely holding it. I will be able to feel it release if I put just the right amount of pressure on the handle.

Well, scratch all that. Sucks going from memory but you are correct. I went to the safe and pulled the rifle out. It works exactly as you describe.

This was a pointless edit. Garandman won the argument by virtue of his avatar regardless of how the gun actually works.

Just one tip from personal experience. If you take the m1 apart, don't forget to tighten the gas plug properly when you put it back together. I was getting failures to chamber the next round, and was going about replacing springs and finally noticed that the plug was loose. I'm sure someone will come along in a moment here and have the torque wrench setting recommended....

I'm leaning to getting a Garand as my next rifle, putting off a matching Mauser. I guess any self-respecting American Mil-Surp collector needs one. I've my eye on a 1942 Serial numbered one at my local gun shop. Looks OK at $650, but a little shabby next to a $1500 National Match version. I don't care about pretty, but war dated matters to me. Now to raise the cash...

MS
You have to be rel careful with gunshop Garands. Many of the ones I've seen at gun shows and shops have worn barrels.

The vast majority of Garands will have receivers dating from WWII as that's when most of them were made. But the barrel has often been replaced, and because none of the other parts are serial #'d, they may be later replacements.

A WWII stock will have a proofmark and stamp from one of the military inspectors. Postwar rebuilds will often have a replacement stock with a "Defense Acceptance Stamp." Because the wood compresses, cracks, absorbs oil or has other problems, they have often been replaced. Unfortunately, fake cartouche stamps are readily available and some Garands have counterfeit stocks. A rare WWII stock in good condition can sell for over $300.

CMP has started selling CMP rifles with commercial replacement stocks that are GI pattern and look the part. Stock fitment affects Garand accuracy so that's important. Good way to keep these rifles shooting and eligible for JC Garand matches.

Another accuracy issue connected to the stock is lock up. The removable trigger assembly has pins that clamp it into place. If these pins are worn, the stock won't lock down tight. These are easily and relatively cheaply replaced.

When WWII barrels were more available, I used to buy Rack Grade rifles and rebarrel them with a period correct barrel, fix any problems, and resell them as shooters. Now that those barrels are rare over $200, it's not worth it anymore. While folks worry about chamber erosion, in my experience having a tight muzzle is much more important. As a rough guide, a Lake City bullet will show at least 1/8" band above the cartridge neck. If it is closer than that, accuracy (and value ) is affected.

I just took my 1955 SA service grade out today for the secound time, Snow, gun cold , ammo cold, me cold.....shot a 400 whoo hoooo. alot better than my last out with a 300ish. I have a 2nd SA service grade expected next week[smile][smile][smile]
s

I just took my 1955 SA service grade out today for the secound time, Snow, gun cold , ammo cold, me cold.....shot a 400 whoo hoooo. alot better than my last out with a 300ish. I have a 2nd SA service grade expected next week[smile][smile][smile]
s

NICE! I was going to get out and shoot mine today but woke up sick. Ive spent the day researching parts and stuff like that on my Garand. As it turns out there are a few more pieces not matching but I dont mind. I'll have fun hunting them down and bringing it back to 1943 specs. The gas lock nut is from a later date and the rear sight is not the original battle range cross bar dial set. I found those two parts online but its going to have to wait. There's other stuff on the list to buy first but half the battle is over, I got the rifle!!![grin]

I can't wait to get one, they are so cool and WWII period one is even better! I shot my 1st one last weekend. [smile]

Beware that most if not all of the WW2 era serial numbered rifles are very unlikely to be original. The ones built during the war often went thru numerous rebuilds - and many of them even served in Korea. Many if not most of the Korean War era built Garands never even saw combat.

I got two Garands from CMP last year that were Korean War era - and everything on them is original and they were in great shape. When CMP looked like it was going to run out of Garands back a couple of years ago I bought a few of the "woodless" rifles - which are all WW2 era, there isn't a single one of them that isn't a mixmaster.

You have to be rel careful with gunshop Garands. Many of the ones I've seen at gun shows and shops have worn barrels.

The vast majority of Garands will have receivers dating from WWII as that's when most of them were made. But the barrel has often been replaced, and because none of the other parts are serial #'d, they may be later replacements.

A WWII stock will have a proofmark and stamp from one of the military inspectors. Postwar rebuilds will often have a replacement stock with a "Defense Acceptance Stamp." Because the wood compresses, cracks, absorbs oil or has other problems, they have often been replaced. Unfortunately, fake cartouche stamps are readily available and some Garands have counterfeit stocks. A rare WWII stock in good condition can sell for over $300.

CMP has started selling CMP rifles with commercial replacement stocks that are GI pattern and look the part. Stock fitment affects Garand accuracy so that's important. Good way to keep these rifles shooting and eligible for JC Garand matches.

Another accuracy issue connected to the stock is lock up. The removable trigger assembly has pins that clamp it into place. If these pins are worn, the stock won't lock down tight. These are easily and relatively cheaply replaced.

When WWII barrels were more available, I used to buy Rack Grade rifles and rebarrel them with a period correct barrel, fix any problems, and resell them as shooters. Now that those barrels are rare over $200, it's not worth it anymore. While folks worry about chamber erosion, in my experience having a tight muzzle is much more important. As a rough guide, a Lake City bullet will show at least 1/8" band above the cartridge neck. If it is closer than that, accuracy (and value ) is affected.

I remember reading somewhere ( probably on the CMP forums) that if you have a Garand barrel with a worn muzzle it can help quite a bit to turn it down some to get rid of the worn out part of the muzzle. This obviously entails taking the rifle apart.

Beware that most if not all of the WW2 era serial numbered rifles are very unlikely to be original. The ones built during the war often went thru numerous rebuilds - and many of them even served in Korea. Many if not most of the Korean War era built Garands never even saw combat.

I got two Garands from CMP last year that were Korean War era - and everything on them is original and they were in great shape. When CMP looked like it was going to run out of Garands back a couple of years ago I bought a few of the "woodless" rifles - which are all WW2 era, there isn't a single one of them that isn't a mixmaster.

Sounds like you got super lucky, thats awesome. All I ever read is people getting mix-matchers from CMP. Im debationg on doing the same with the woodles parts and building from the ground up. Im curious when that lake is going to dry up at CMP, hopefully not soon!

I wondered about that, I remember seeing videos showing that. They stuffed it in and nothing budged without the extra bump on the handle. I'll secure mine but keep an eye to see if it stays or not while safely holding it. I will be able to feel it release if I put just the right amount of pressure on the handle.

Ehhhh, I was wrong.

Sounds like you got super lucky, thats awesome. All I ever read is people getting mix-matchers from CMP. Im debationg on doing the same with the woodles parts and building from the ground up. Im curious when that lake is going to dry up at CMP, hopefully not soon!

Both of the Garands with matching numbers were "Correct" grade and Korean War era manufactured.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

From what I remember reading - CMP has more Garands coming. Check the CMP forums - I am sure there are threads there talking about it.

One of the best deals out there currently for somebody who wants a Garand in excellent shape is to get one of the CMP "Special" grade rifles. I have a friend who got one and he said the thing is excellent.

Ehhhh, I was wrong.

Only Partialy Jose, they do wear and can release on you. Its all good.

From what I remember reading - CMP has more Garands coming. Check the CMP forums - I am sure there are threads there talking about it.

One of the best deals out there currently for somebody who wants a Garand in excellent shape is to get one of the CMP "Special" grade rifles. I have a friend who got one and he said the thing is excellent.

Thats good to know!!! Ill def look into them getting more in, I want to get involved in that program and get on file with them. I was actually puting the stamp on the envlope for a "Special grade" garand when I found the ad for this one. Check was written, luckily my friend is a notary and did it no cost! With the ammo and all included it was worth the detour. I still want a special though. Might be a while with all the group buys going on tho lol Still have 2 AR's to build now!!

Only Partialy Jose, they do wear and can release on you. Its all good.

Thats good to know!!! Ill def look into them getting more in, I want to get involved in that program and get on file with them. I was actually puting the stamp on the envlope for a "Special grade" garand when I found the ad for this one. Check was written, luckily my friend is a notary and did it no cost! With the ammo and all included it was worth the detour. I still want a special though. Might be a while with all the group buys going on tho lol Still have 2 AR's to build now!!

You can never have too many Garands. It's not like they are going to be making more of them....

now I have my sights on a CMP Inland M1 Carbine, im hearing great things about the rack grades and they have some available! Cant beat $420!

But loading your thumb into the chamber is an unforgettable life experience. Once you seat the en bloc clip, the bolt will close, assisted by a substantial spring: if your thumb is still in place, it gets "grabbed" by the bolt and shoved into the chamber. If you keep your hand close to the receiver, you can control the bolt so this doesn't happen, although you might then have to slap the op rod forward to make sure it's in battery.

I'm left handed so proper technique is even more important.

My Garand must be messed up,in a good way though.

When I load the clip,the bolt doesn't fly forward.

It just clicks in,then I slam the handle with the heel of my hand to ride the bolt forward.

I am looking at getting one of the CMP specials for $1K,best deal out if you want a great shooter..IMO of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom