• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my dream gun today! One of the best days of my life. (M1 Garand)

I am translating it a “Anngi”. I can’t make out the last letter, is it an i or l?

I actually just noticed that the buckle was blocking a good portion of the writing. I loosened the strap carefully to reveal more of the writing. Here is it fully revealed. :)

43858856335_5788a08ca0.jpg

43858851285_d851ab29c7.jpg

Looks like Agge(?)us I can't make out that backwards H as it must be a greek letter but it seems to be the same letter used on the first word too.

Hope this helps with deciphering.

I couldn't say how the Greeks used their M1's, nor when or where it could have been in service. Based on the dates, it could have been in service with Greek expeditionary forces in the Korean War, not Vietnam. Assuming rebuild by the Marines in '66 and the nice current condition- it was probably in storage a long time either at some depot or in private hands.

Hello folks :)

Today was a day I thought may never come. A day I have dreamed of since I ever first got fascinated with fire arms as a young kid. And that's the day I'd be the proud owner of a M1 Garand. The very gun the greatest generation to ever live dragged through the mud winning our independance from the Nazi's and axis powers. The brave heroes who's sacrafice is unparralelled. The very gun the brave heroes fought against communism in the korean war and even vietnam. A staple in the very fabric of America. A stitch in the stars and stripes.

"The greatest battle impliment ever divised" - General Patton

The one the only M1 Garand. The words I muster can't ever do it justice. But it needs no introduction. And as someone who loves WW2 and Korean War History. It almost brings a tear to my eye to hold one. To look down the iron sights. And to hear the ping. It's honestly a special moment for me. And I really wanted to share.

44031261724_c8cbd2b62a.jpg

30879082958_1f06097df6.jpg

43840701805_a519252e35.jpg

43840698795_560895ab62.jpg

I have dated the receiver at 1952 and the Barrel is dated as September 1951. So this is a Korean War M1 Garand. I am going to attempt to figure out the year of the slide. And see if it correlates with 1951-1952.

The stock has a P cartoush on it's stock. I've heard it means it was maintainanced at a earlier date but i'm not sure.

The stock is in stunning condition, no major gouges or scuffs. Same with the reciever and slide. It's truly a great specimen. :).

I bought 40 rounds of remington 30-06 but I will not fire it through because i've heard you need to buy specific M1 Garand ammo from federal or load your own or you can bend the rod and ruin the gun.

What's everyone's dream gun? Weather you own it or are seeking it?
I remember when I bought my garand ! I felt the same way you do !! Absolutely love at first sight ! Don’t fire anything more than 150 grains to avoid damaging the op rod

I could be wrong about the amount of grains. I was told this one day by the garand god at my club. He was an armorer in the navy. Don’t mean to sound like a know it all but 150 still provides a lot of fun !!

That would be awesome. Even better a WWII firearm shoot. M1s, Lugers, WWII period 1911s, etc.
I tried getting a C&R/mil surplus shoot going at one of the clubs i belong to . A simple short yard 15 round shoot for pistols and rifles. More about the chit chat and ohh ahh look at this and that type of shoot. The board was not really interested in approving it. More interested in how much money it would bring in and how much the snack shack would make. ....at the end i got " hey you know braintree runs a collectors meeting maybe you should go to that"

I tried getting a C&R/mil surplus shoot going at one of the clubs i belong to . A simple short yard 15 round shoot for pistols and rifles. More about the chit chat and ohh ahh look at this and that type of shoot. The board was not really interested in approving it. More interested in how much money it would bring in and how much the snack shack would make. ....at the end i got " hey you know braintree runs a collectors meeting maybe you should go to that"

Perhaps everyone could ask their club to accept such an event. Myself included. Let's do it and evaluate where we are. I could create a sign up sheet for those that are serious. Hell, I'll put money toward it if that's what it takes.

A lot of it depends on the size of the group. We did a Mosin shoot at my club several years ago but it was never an event - just 8 or so members and their guests that happened to all bring similar guns. No permission slips required. Obviously with a bigger group this all changes.

Back
Top Bottom