• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

got my c&r today!!!

AFTER ONLY 5 WEEKS MY C&R LICENSE CAME TODAY!!WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE..TO LEARN OF THE BENEFITS IF ANY AND HOW TO USE IT TO MY BENEFIT..ANY INFO APPRECIATED...THANKS DAVE

QUESTION ON NEW C&R

SORRY BEING SO DUMB ON THIS..BUT IS A C&R CONSIDERED AN FFL...I NOTICE ON THE COLLECTIBLE SIGHTS THEY ASK FOR A COPY OF YOUR FFL....ARE THEY REFERRING TO THE C&R OR FFL-A?

I merged these two threads.

You C&R is an FFL. It's called a Type 03 FFL and it's the one that the mil-surp sites want to see (and the one you have to put on file with them). If you reload or work on your own guns, also send copies to MidwayUSA and Brownells to set up dealer accounts. Both offer decent discounts for C&R holders.

Two more things:
1. DO NOT post the names of vendors of guns or ammo that will ship to Mass.
2. You caps lock key appears to be stuck. [wink]

2. You caps lock key appears to be stuck. [wink]

[laugh] I would normally post this picture below, but it's exciting, so congrats! [cheers]

CapsLock.jpg

Remember now Take the original license and makes copies of it before you sign it. Put the original away.
Now use and sign the copies as you need then.

When you give them out write "File copy to Acme Gun shop" or whoever across the top face of it. In case it falls into the wrong hands it can't be used by someone using your license.

Oh yeah get a book from Brownell's or somewhere to record your transactions.

Also, buy alot of spam and ramen noodles - so you have money left over for C&R guns. Say goodblye to your savings balance, say Hello to your credit card balance, and buy a safe three times bigger than you think you need.

Welcome to the DARK SIDE!

what can u buy??

save money for guns?? c&r must be 50 years old right? what gun that old would you dare shoot? is there anything a c&r can buy that isnt an antique?

save money for guns?? c&r must be 50 years old right? what gun that old would you dare shoot? is there anything a c&r can buy that isnt an antique?

I would shoot almost anything I picked up with a C+R so long as it didnt diminish any collectable value of the gun. Just because the gun is old, doesnt mean it wont operate properly.

Ok, we'll address them one at a time:

1. Yes, save money for guns.

2. Generally, they have to be more than 50 years old, but there are others that, because of their unique collector value or other attribute, are also on the "approved list" of C&R firearms. This list is updated every few years or so, and can be found on the ATF's website.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

3. Guns that are well-maintained and inspected regularly for condition can be perfectly safe when firing the correct ammunition. Most sellers will advise you to have the firearm inspected by a gunsmith before firing. I regularly shoot rifles that are in excess of 100 years old.

4. You have to be aware of the terminology. Guns manufactured before 1899 are considered "antiques" - in fact they are non-firearms that do not require a firearms license for possession. Most sellers will just ask for confirmation that you are over 18 years old. The C&R guns are generally the firearms manufactured after 1898, through the period when they are still 50 years old (for 2009, that means 1959). However, the C&R list can also include newer examples IF they are considered rare, collectable, etc. Again, check the list.

Alot of this will be in your C&R package when it arrives, but you can get much info on the web as well. Just be careful of your sources!

Just some I've bought and or shot that were acquired with a C&R, 1903 Springfield, Savage 1907, Colt 1903, Colt second generation SAA's, Colt Commemoratives, S&W Hand Ejectors, Colt Police Positives, Colt Official Police, S&W 1917, Winchester Model 1895 (mfd 1903), Colt 1911.

Last edited:
what gun that old would you dare shoot?

There are plenty of badass C&R guns that Im sure you just arnt thinking of. Look into SKS's, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, CZ pistols, Mosins, 1911's, P38's, and lots more. Remember all the wars that happened over 50 years ago? Well that has made for some great mil-surp guns!

My favorite C&R handguns that are generally affordable are East German Makarovs. Inexpensive but beautifully made, reliable as hell, coldwar handguns. Ammo can be a bit difficult to find, but the 9x18mm seems to be making a slow comeback in popularity. These guns have been going up in price steadily so find one soon if you're interested!

Another inexpensive C&R pistol chambered for 9x18 is CZ 82. I have no experience with these, but they can be found for a song.

My favorite C&R handguns that are generally affordable are East German Makarovs. Inexpensive but beautifully made, reliable as hell, coldwar handguns. Ammo can be a bit difficult to find, but the 9x18mm seems to be making a slow comeback in popularity. These guns have been going up in price steadily so find one soon if you're interested!

Another inexpensive C&R pistol chambered for 9x18 is CZ 82. I have no experience with these, but they can be found for a song.

Sent you PM on a specific Makarov I'm looking at.

Question- do I understand correctly that I can buy ANY East German or original Russian Makarov with my C&R, not just those at least 50 years old?

That's what I get from the ATF C&R document- that I can buy a 1964 East German one, for example, from a private seller w/ my C&R even though it's only 45 years old. True or false?

Sent you PM on a specific Makarov I'm looking at.

Question- do I understand correctly that I can buy ANY East German or original Russian Makarov with my C&R, not just those at least 50 years old?

That's what I get from the ATF C&R document- that I can buy a 1964 East German one, for example, from a private seller w/ my C&R even though it's only 45 years old. True or false?

PM replied to. You can get those EG Maks (that aren't 50+ yrs old yet) because "East Germany" is no longer a country. Same way you can get a Yugoslavian SKS made in the 60's on your C&R.

That's great. You have now deposited your name on another government list!

[rolleyes] I wear no tinfoil hat.

Can anyone send me the link to apply for my C&R. I have looked to no avail (computer challenged I admit). Sorry to semi hijack this thread, but Govt websites confuse me. Thanks

and now back to the movie.........

Can anyone send me the link to apply for my C&R. I have looked to no avail (computer challenged I admit). Sorry to semi hijack this thread, but Govt websites confuse me. Thanks

You need to call if you want the application in a reasonable amount of time

404-417-2750

In addition to calling for the app, read EVERY WORD of this thread:

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

ESPECIALLY the warnings of possible damage to your credit cards and cash on hand.

Seriously, though, there are full discussions of about every question you will have, the pros and the cons, etc.

c&r must be 50 years old right? what gun that old would you dare shoot?

... and Swedish Mausers, and Swiss K31s, and SMLEs, etc, etc...

just a few of the many old but well designed pieces with superb craftsmanship that will hold their own against most modern arms at the range.

and the East German Makarov 9x18mm in excellent condition that I just got in the mail today! The guy that mailed it didn't send it "Signature Required", so it was just left on my steps... good thing no one walked off with it! wow, what a nice pistol! It's my first Makarov and it's a beaut!! I love my C&R!

Back
Top Bottom