• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got me a Whistle Pig....Finally

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
This thing was smart...he would run to his burrow every time I tried to open the door to take him down...I've tried since this spring to trap him and/or shoot him...today, he wasn't quite so smart...It was a long shot, about 150 feet.

I didn't want to wound him and have him run to his burrow and die under the barn where I couldn't reach him. One shot with my Marlin Glenfield .22LR dropped him like a stone. Went through his ear and made a pretty big exit wound on the other side of his noggin. I bought this .22lr when I was fifteen back in the 70's. Still shoots like a laser, even after shooting hundreds of thousands of rounds through it... the round that took him down was a CCI Stinger.

I took the carcass to the end of my field and tossed him in the woods for the coyotes and/or vultures to enjoy. There's plenty of those around here.

There's no trapping these varmints and taking them out somewhere else to live...too many cattle around here that can break a leg in a burrow. There's one more that I'm aware of on my property and I'm keeping an eye out for that one too...

1666048169806.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice shot.
Can't get rid of mine. Kill one and there's more that show up.
I was hoping all spring and summer that there were no young'uns under the barn. I figured if there were, they would've made themselves known by now. I was actually surprised how fat this one was. He didn't look like that this past spring.

I'd have eat it
I asked my wife if she wanted me to clean it and cook it up. The blanched look on her face was all I needed. I've eaten it before...tastes a little like greasy pork and this critter was well fattened. All it's been eating was grass and clover in the field.

Last edited:
I asked my wife if she wanted me to clean it and cook it up. The blanched look on her face was all I needed. I've eaten it before...tastes a little like greasy pork and it was well fattened. All it's been eating was grass and clover in the field.
Yum

Sounds like dinner

LOL...I had to look it up...I didn't know there was such a thing as Whistlepig Whiskey, probably because I don't really care for rye whisky. It makes sense now why my dad called them whistle pigs living in northern NH. Oddly, it's a thing out here too.
Its "rye" but Canadian lol. It was whiskey bought from the Great north then resold as whistle pig until the distillery got online

They've been adding their own whiskey to it... it's overrated

I shot it from inside the mudroom that goes out to the back yard/field...I used the partially closed outside back door as a blind. My wife was watching the chuck from the kitchen window. When she heard the report and the chuck drop where it was sitting, she said "Nice shot"! She was impressed. God, I love my wife! LOL

I shot it from inside the mudroom that goes out to the back yard/field...I used the partially closed outside back door as a blind. My wife was watching the chuck from the kitchen window. When she heard the report and the chuck drop where it was sitting, she said "Nice shot"! She was impressed. God, I love my wife! LOL
On the plus side: You did not shoot from the second-floor bathroom... seated.

1666116878307.png

This looks "So somewhere other than Massachusetts..."
PS: Don't eat it...
View attachment 674995
It isn't (mass, LOL) and I won't (eat it). I heard a bunch of coyotes fighting over it last night. I may take a walk down there and see what's left of it. We also have a bear and bobcat in the area so they may have noticed it too.

It isn't (mass, LOL) and I won't (eat it). I heard a bunch of coyotes fighting over it last night. I may take a walk down there and see what's left of it. We also have a bear and bobcat in the area so they may have noticed it too.
You collecting the whole set...???

1666116986697.png

Back
Top Bottom