• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got lucky as hell today in southern nh.

Nice score!
Funny story about cooking squirrel. 2009, I decided I was going to give grey squirrel a taste. I was new to hunting and didn't do the greatest job cleaning all the fur from the skinned squirrel. I just remember the fur sticking to the flesh and I couldn't wash it off.
Decided to cook it anyways. I fried it on the stove. It was decent enough that I ate both of them. The problem was, the fur burned something nasty in the pan. Created a bunch of smoke that went through the whole house. My brother was living with me at the time and he had a job the required dressing up with a suit and tie and fancy dress coat. Well the coat smelled of burnt squirrel fur the next day at work. So bad, that his coworkers made him store the coat in his car. He made me pay the dry cleaning bill that night. Haha

I was under the impression that you couldn't/shouldn't eat rabbit until the first heavy frost, old wives tale??
Pretty common to hear old timers say that. It is a old wives tale rabbits will have fleas sometimes and check to make sure they don’t have a spotted liver if they do toss them. Other then that cook the meat like anything else and you will be fine.

Damn, I thought this was going to be about the OP running into Liz Hurley offering up herself and free boxes of 9mm...

Very disappointed.

2d73e2052103ea0fef552caf01a888d4.jpg

My squirrel story: late 80’s post college got into hunting w some friends at the lake in NYS we used to lifeguard at. We mostly went duck & goose hunting (talk about tasting like shit, Canada goose is awful). In any event, one bright sunny no cloud day, zero waterfowl to be had, around 10 am we decide to take a walk in the fields to see if we could rustle up some upland birds or maybe a rabbit. Another shutout, nothing to be seen. Walking back through the woods near our buddy’s tree stand he remarked how many squirrels there were and how annoying they were during deer season. We all looked at each other and grinned. Next thing you know all four of us lit up the woods w #7 shot, bagged around 15 grays. Went back to our friend’s house on the lake, cleaned them up and made a stew w them. Watched the giants at 1 and the Jets at 4, had a few beers and squirrel stew that was not bad at all.

I am intent on getting myself a rabbit this year. Wife says she’ll refuse to eat one because they’re so cute, but she said the same about venison when we first met. Now she’ll devour veni-tacos/ burgers/ steaks/ stew like it’s her last meal.

Squirrels: I still have yet to eat one. I shot a black one out of a tree a few years back but completely destroyed it . Guts and shit all over it. Decided to leave it for the yotes. Felt bad but whatever. Anyone else ever see black squirrels around? There’s tons of them in my part of the Cape.

I am intent on getting myself a rabbit this year. Wife says she’ll refuse to eat one because they’re so cute, but she said the same about venison when we first met. Now she’ll devour veni-tacos/ burgers/ steaks/ stew like it’s her last meal.

Squirrels: I still have yet to eat one. I shot a black one out of a tree a few years back but completely destroyed it . Guts and shit all over it. Decided to leave it for the yotes. Felt bad but whatever. Anyone else ever see black squirrels around? There’s tons of them in my part of the Cape.
Couple of years ago I saw 5 at one time in a friends yard in W. Falmouth. They were out in the sun playing around on the lawn. They were easy to count as they were there for at least 15 min.

Hmmm..
Last time I 'got lucky' in Southern NH was back around 1985 when I was young and picked up some middle-aged floozie at one the dive bars on Hampton Beach...Kept me 'captive' at her house for the entire 90-degree/80-proof weekend... (but for a drunken, aging beach Hag? Roughly a seven out of a possible ten...Not bad at all for Hampton back in the day).

Just sayin' 😉

Back
Top Bottom