Got a reply from David Cicilline

I forgot what I even mentioned in it, but here is his reply:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the horrific events that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut and gun safety legislation. I appreciate you taking time to write to me and express your concerns on this issue.

First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families and victims affected by the recent mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. This was a deeply tragic time for our country and the parents and families who lost their loved ones. Our nation's hearts were broken by the deaths of 20 children and 6 adults at Sandy Hook. At the same time, the events in Newtown served as a painful reminder that we must work harder to ensure the safety and well-being of children in small towns, big cities, and neighborhoods around the country.

For me, the tragedy in Newtown led to a great deal of reflection about what we must do together to reduce violence in our communities. I believe we need to address this problem with a set of comprehensive policies and I share your commitment to ensuring we move swiftly in Congress to protect children from future tragedies.

First, I share your support for the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution which expressly recognizes the right to bear arms. At the same time, I believe well-regulated gun ownership is essential in order to protect citizens and reduce gun violence in our communities. While there is no perfect solution that will eliminate all gun crimes, there are many things we can do to significantly reduce the danger of guns getting into the hands of criminals and those that are seriously mentally ill. In addition, we can work towards addressing the sale of particularly deadly weapons and ammunition.

Of course, I also believe that we must focus on a wide range of policy changes as we seek to prevent mass shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut. That's why, throughout my time in Congress, I have also advocated for increasing our investments in mental health. As a Member of the Congressional Mental Health Caucus, I strongly believe that we must continue to work towards enacting innovative policy proposals supported by full federal funding that will help us treat individuals suffering from mental illness.

I also understand the importance of ensuring we protect our children from violent content in movies, video games and television shows. I believe we must work to engage parents as we seek to ensure entertainment being viewed by children is both appropriate and subject to a strict content rating system. Please know that I will continue to stand up and speak out for common sense gun safety legislation, robust investments in mental health services, and policies that protect children from violent entertainment throughout my time in Congress.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the horrific events that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut and gun safety legislation. Your thoughts and opinions on this issue are of great value. Please feel free to use my office as a resource at any time, and visit Congressman David Cicilline | Representing the 1st Congressional District of Rhode Island for up-to-date information on a wide range of issues before Congress. I look forward to further correspondence with you on this and any other matter of concern you may have in the future.

OK, so now I want to see the letter he sends to people complaining about all these guns. I'm betting it's a very different letter.

Met the guy once at Coastal Roasters, RI. Seemed very slick, typical Mob connected guy...[wink] I would not trust him one bit.
"the sale of particularly deadly weapons and ammunition"
Newsflash for you, mr Cicilline. All weapons(firearms) are deadly.

Considering how he screwed Providence when he was mayor and left the current mayor with a financial mess, he fits right in with the rest of the politicians on capital hill.

Seems like he has backed off a little on Assault Weapons and High Capacity Magazines since he was very outspoken about them earlier. Maybe he has realized that it's not the guns that are the problem.

How much bullshit do you really need? The guy is a f&*k. That fact that he screwed over Providence and then won a SECOND term after it was known what a scumbag he is all you need to know. Providence Metro Area = a community of dumb a**h***s. They would vote a sphincter into office if it was hairy enough.

Multiple copies of the same letter just lets you know noone is reading them (which I expect in this state). I didn't vote for him, never will. I bet you the sphincter would do a better job...

Back
Top Bottom