Got a neutered Class A in MA, Now get NH and ME

gene

NES Member
So your COP gave you a neutered CCW. Time to apply for an unrestricted CCW in free states. Like NH and ME have also come under fire by the gun grabbers. People in these states have pushed back equally as hard and have won so far. For the price of a MA CCW you can get both ME and NH unrestricted and it's a safe bet you will in about 3 to 4 weeks with your neutered MA CCW.[grin]

Oh yea, most important join Goal and the NRA in that order!

Last edited:
Yes, I was amazed at how simple and straight forward it is to get CCW out of state. And the important thing is that the standards are similar and evidence of training is required. It's just a less stressful endeavor.

There was a great article in the NRA's Freedom magazine I read yesterday that covered the failure of the Mass Gun Control Act. In one of the quotes, Jim Wallace alluded to politicians privately telling him they feared repercussions from the Globe should they come out against the Act.

Maybe we should be writing the Globe and the Herald along with the politicians.

Politicians fear what most people already know? Sad and even sadder that the media, atleast in their minds, has them by their sacks.

This Is Too Important To Be HERE

In one of the quotes, Jim Wallace alluded to politicians privately telling him they feared repercussions from the Globe should they come out against the Act.

Maybe we should be writing the Globe and the Herald along with the politicians.

WAYNE: This is too important and too good an idea to be buried inside this thread. You should start a "Write the Globe" Thread. We all write our legislators and senators. Most of us don't think about the Glob and how the state and local politicians view the rag. If what they read in the Glob is more important than what they get from us as citizens, then perhaps as a group we can have an impact on how the politicos think by writing the Glob.

Perhaps instead of (or in addition to) "Pushing the Envelope" (http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35987), which was a good idea but has had little impact, we should start a group to write the Glob and other regional papers so the politicians read our comments to stupid articles that are anti-2A and anti-gun. In that way, we may make more progress in changing their minds through what they read in the newspapers!

It will fit in everyones schedule, because it can be done by e-mail or snail-mail, won't cost much (except postage if you mail), and if enough of us write, the Glob and other papers may even print some of the comments.

I'm in for this!

My thoughts only.

Bob

So your COP gave you a neutered CCW. Time to apply for an unrestricted CCW in free states. Like NH and ME have also come under fire by the gun grabbers. People in these states have pushed back equally as hard and have won so far. For the price of a MA CCW you can get both ME and NH unrestricted and it's a safe bet you will in about 3 to 4 weeks with your neutered MA CCW.[grin]

Oh yea, most important join Goal and the NRA in that order!

It was my experience that NH will not accept a restricted license, but it is my understanding however that they will accept any other out of state permit you may have acquired. PA is a sinch to get FYI and cheap. [grin]

It was my experience that NH will not accept a restricted license, but it is my understanding however that they will accept any other out of state permit you may have acquired. PA is a sinch to get FYI and cheap. [grin]

http://www.bachbio.com/NewHampshireCarryLicenses.htm

An amendment to New Hampshire’s administrative rules has made it easier for those living in anti-gun jurisdictions to obtain non-resident concealed carry licenses from New Hampshire.

Under the previous rule, non-residents had to produce a carry license from their home state to qualify for a New Hampshire non-resident license. Those living in anti-gun jurisdictions where carry permits are difficult or impossible to obtain could not qualify for New Hampshire’s non-resident license simply because of where they happened to live.

Under the amended rule (Saf-C 2102.03), a valid carry license from any state will qualify an applicant for the New Hampshire non-resident license. Those who hold non-resident permits from "shall-issue" states like Florida will now be eligible for the New Hampshire non-resident license.

Residents of the following jurisdictions will be most notably affected: California, Washington, D.C., Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York City, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin.

The rule was amended October 14, 2004 largely due to the efforts of NRA state affiliate Gun Owners of New Hampshire, its president State Rep. Elbert Bicknell, its board member Sam Cohen, NRA board member Scott Bach, and gun rights attorney Evan Nappen.

Non-resident license applications may be obtained by calling the New Hampshire State Police Permits and Licensing Division at 603-271-3575

I don't know about 3-4 weeks for NH or ME for that matter...I've been waiting for my NR LTC for about 8 weeks from both of these states. [angry]
Of course, I have not called to "push forward" the paperwork any faster...

ace57

I believe NH has reversed direction and will now issue NR pistol licenses to restricted MA LTC holders.

On paper yes, but it seems they are not putting said reversal into practice as I was fully aware of said reversal at the time of submitting my application not too long ago and yet it was sent back as unacceptable because I had sent in a copy of a restricted permit, which was actually not restricted at all, it was issued for "protection" which is the equivalent of an unrestricted here in good ol' Springfield, The City of Homes, as in "hey homes stick 'em up, surely you are unarmed". [thinking]

On paper yes, but it seems they are not putting said reversal into practice as I was fully aware of said reversal at the time of submitting my application not too long ago and yet it was sent back as unacceptable because I had sent in a copy of a restricted permit, which was actually not restricted at all, it was issued for "protection" which is the equivalent of an unrestricted here in good ol' Springfield, The City of Homes, as in "hey homes stick 'em up, surely you are unarmed". [thinking]

There was a period where they "about faced" and rejected out of state restricted licenses, but as of December 2007 they have been approving them. The logic is, as I understand it, if they perform the same due diligence with out of state residents as they do their own they are "covered" against negligence.

I got a CCW from NH with only a MA restricted license, but I had to wait until December when they changed policy (again).

There was a period where they "about faced" and rejected out of state restricted licenses, but as of December 2007 they have been approving them. The logic is, as I understand it, if they perform the same due diligence with out of state residents as they do their own they are "covered" against negligence.

I got a CCW from NH with only a MA restricted license, but I had to wait until December when they changed policy (again).

Alright cool, I'll give it another shot. [grin]

I had heard with the amount of people that were applying these days to both states, that they may be taking longer than 4 weeks these days but the state police are very helpful in giving information.

Some of the delays according to ME is the CHSB data.

The only reason an out-of-stater would need a permit in NH is to carry on an ATV or sled, or carry in a school. Otherwise y’all are gtg. If you play don’t ask don’t tell, all is well.

The only reason an out-of-stater would need a permit in NH is to carry on an ATV or sled, or carry in a school.
Nice summary, thanks much.

But upon further reflection, one should include one more reason:

To make the ever-dwindling population of gun-toting New Hampshirites
who have tissue paper Resident P&RL's
jealous of your sturdy laminated Non-Res card.​

That right there is worth $20/year.

Performing necropsies of threads is happening all too often! Let us prepare for the zombie apocalypse now!

Nice summary, thanks much.

But upon further reflection, one should include one more reason:

To make the ever-dwindling population of gun-toting New Hampshirites
who have tissue paper Resident P&RL's
jealous of your sturdy laminated Non-Res card.​

That right there is worth $20/year.
Haha, valid point!! However, scanning and reprinting to the correct size (probably cost me 1 worth of paper, 20 bux worth of ink) and then having staples laminate it for just under 2 bux.

Nobody has ever asked to see it.

I thought Maine and NH were constitutional carry? And we didn't need out of state licenses anymore? Or was I misunderstood?

You are correct, the OP post was from 2008

1. Any changes since 2018?
2. Does VT also have something like these?
3. What are the costs for ME, NH, VT non-resident permits?
4. What is the time-frame for turnaround on these? Sounds like a lot of bookkeeping, just to keep those all in line.
5. Hunting licenses are an additional thing on top of these, right? Even more bookkeeping. It would be cool if a hunting license and LTC were merged.

i understand the only reason to get an out-of-state NH LTC is if you want to travel to other states where it is recognized.
if you never going to do that, then, what is the point to bother?

also, in the regard of other states, it probably makes much more sense to apply to the Utah non-resident CCW, than for NH one.

Yup, changes since 2018... it’s worth a read of the applicable State laws.

ME and NH now have permit-less carry. There are nuisances, like restrictions on carrying within State parks (where having your out of state license would allow you to carry), restrictions to carrying on ATVs, requirements to promptly notify a LE you are in possession of a firearm upon first contact if unlicensed (ME) even if licensed in another jurisdiction, (e.g., MA-LTC), whereas of you have your out of state license you are not obligated to notify.

free advice off the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. Best to read the actual law to understand its requirements, or contact a competent attorney.

I have my out of state permit in CT, and my out of state permit in ME recently expired... I can still carry concealed legally in ME and NH, but just need to be aware of the laws. VT has constitutional carry, so you’re good there, except usual Federal prohibitions apply, etc.

Good luck

Last edited:
i understand the only reason to get an out-of-state NH LTC is if you want to travel to other states where it is recognized.
if you never going to do that, then, what is the point to bother?

In NH you need a license if you want to carry when riding an ATV or snowmobile.

I see this is old but you do not need a MA LTC to get the NH non resident now. The application has a place for it but the requirement is gone.

**UPDATE 10/25/16*** Please be advised that due to the New Hampshire Supreme Court opinion Bach v. New Hampshire Department of Safety, ___ N.H. ___ (No. 2014-0721, decided June 2, 2016), Out-of-State Residents applying for a Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License are NOT required to supply the Resident State License Number on Form DSSP 260 and are NOT required to supply either a copy of a valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which they reside OR a letter from their local police department, as described in Saf-C 2102.03(c) and on the reverse of Form DSSP 260.

Back
Top Bottom