Got A Call From My State Rep -- Wants to Talk

LittleCalm

NES Member
Ok, it's my turn to talk to my rep. She personally called and left a message. I have a more detailed letter penned that I was about to send. Any general advice as to how succinct I should be on the call? I tend to like to get into the facts rather than just say I'm pro 2A (which the rep knows b/c of the Ruger and other form letters I first sent). I feel like there's education that needs to be done. My rep has no GOAL rating. Thanks.

If you do choose to record the conversation, make sure you have her permission to do so. In MASS, audio recordings must be agreed between all parties, otherwise you may run into wiretapping issues.

Trying to figure out what level of detail to get into. Should I take her through the absurdity of the Deval, Linsky and Creemer proposals or is that too much?

It's her conversation, let her decide what she's willing to listen to. If you rush in too hard, you could easily be dismissed as a "nut" Let her know your position and ask her if she's interested in know why. If she says yes, then you can go into facts and figures.

If you feel comfortable educating her, say, "I don't want to appear to be condescending, but are you familiar with firearms at all?"

If she says "yes," get a little info - does she shoot skeet all the time with BHO, or what?

If she says, "No," ask if you an give her any info so that the two of you can communicate effectively.

If she says, "No," and doesn't want to get real info, spin it to a civil rights issue - why are you being limited when you've done all that the PRM requires, and the bad guys are not penalized?

If you make a statement of fact, make damn sure that you can back it up. If you have any "official" credentials, use them.

Don't get long winded, and remember that they likely have a fixed period of time blocked out to chat.

Good luck.

On a serious note good for you. Just be you, tell her exactly what you are thinking and why.

Thanks. Did I mention that if the standard of honesty is whether BHO goes shooting all the time, then obviously I go shooting with BHO all the time.

Trying to figure out what level of detail to get into. Should I take her through the absurdity of the Deval, Linsky and Creemer proposals or is that too much?

I would take her through each bill and touch on the main aspects of the each bill and what your thoughts are. She will listen and I believe this is a better way of handling it other than just saying "I do not want you to support further gun legislation". I would follow that up with a detailed letter. They need to know why each bill in particular is a huge infringement on our rights and WILL NOT save peoples lives. That is the goal isn't it?

These bills in are "feel-good" legislation and knee jerk reactions set forth by people with their own political agendas.

It's her conversation, let her decide what she's willing to listen to. If you rush in too hard, you could easily be dismissed as a "nut" Let her know your position and ask her if she's interested in know why. If she says yes, then you can go into facts and figures.

This. I would be courteous and professional, and explain your position on the issue in a calm, matter of fact demeanor that is totally absent from emotion (a little passion is good, but no emotion). Remember, you will be representing the firearms community when you speak with her. The last thing you want to do is reinforce the negative stereotypes that are being broadcast all over the liberal media. Right or wrong, gun owners are held to a higher standard in today's America, especially here in MA. That's why its so important to make sure things arent said that could be misinterpreted or taken out of context.

Back
Top Bottom