GOOSE Rules???

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnips

NES Member
I recently started seeing this term in the classifieds but can't seem to find a description of it anywhere. What does that stand for?

It was a disclaimer that member "The Goose" put in his ads after he got sick of potential buyers jerking him around:

The Goose's Disclaimer:
First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not piss me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.

It's unfortunate that they are needed. If people would just be up front and honest then Goose wouldn't have had to come up with a full page disclaimer to sell stuff. That said, he did come up with an excellent set of rules and they're pretty funny too.

I didn't know what they were either, but now that I know I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I guess is comes down to "really?" pause, "no, REALLY?"

It seems like a joke, or a hormonal bitch session. Yes, people suck.

If you don't like the side of life that deals with the public, 'give' the gun to a dealer and move on.

I didn't know what they were either, but now that I know I'm not sure how I feel about it.

If you don't like the side of life that deals with the public, 'give' the gun to a dealer and move on.

Well that's BS. Why should I give the gun to a dealer and loose money? Why don't you (the buyer) follow the damn rules and don't dick me around.

The Goose was/is getting yanked around by to many people and wasting his time. Look up his profile and check his feedback and you will see he’s one of the best. I purchased a pistol that he under rated so he wouldn’t get any crap when someone looked at it. It was in better condition than he stated and I was very happy with the deal.
Try selling something and have a deal made only to have the buyer back out at the last minute or not show up, have that happen a few times and you’ll see those Goose Rules as necessary.

When people man up and stick to their word there will be no need for The Goose rules. Until then many will choose to use Gooses rules to help fend off those flakes who cant make a decesion if they want the produt or not.

Last edited:
Goose is the man.

Yup, I would definitely deal with him again.

I didn't know what the term meant either, but I have to disagree with you. The "Goose Rules" are common sense (more or less) when dealing with private sales. "If you don't like the side of life that deals with the public", don't work retail. Incidentally, I DON'T work retail. Anyone who tries to give a guy the run around on a private sale can go take a flying shit.

The Goose was/is getting yanked around by to many people and wasting his time. Look up his profile and check his feedback and you will see he’s one of the best. I purchased a pistol that he under rated so he wouldn’t get any crap when someone looked at it. It was in better condition than he stated and I was very happy with the deal.
Try selling something and have a deal made only to have the buyer back out at the last minute or not show up, have that happen a few times and you’ll see those Goose Rules as necessary.

Indeed, I tried GIVING AWAY some ammo crates (CMP 30-06 wooden crates). Lots were interested and I tried and tried to arrange a time/place to meet with people. Everyone of them canceled at the last minute or after a week or two of trying to set a date/time/place to meet. This was something for free. Finally I left it at BR&P and someone there scooped it up before the meeting was over.

I did not neg the people, but it was indeed aggravating.

You'd be surprised how difficult it can be to sell/give something away, people being what they are. Rules unfortunately become necessary.

Try selling something? I guess I wasn't clear. It's obvious lots of people here do not deal with the public in financial transactions.

Give the gun away....NOT BS, you see - you purchased something and took the risk. You want to make up for a decision 'that has changed', so you sell. You then risk dealing with the general public to make some money back. Simple really.

You do realize the general public are a bunch of complete mental midgets, right? You do see the way the general public votes in the land of moonbats, right?

I guess I am starting to get confused?????

You bitch about MGL 140 and all the rules designed to 'make you smarter' as a firearm owner.
Then you bitch that the average gun owner needs more rules....'Goose' rules are not going to make the buyer any smarter. Lets call it 'NES GL 101-goose'

If a seller has had such a large amount of 'bad' luck that raises suspicion of the seller, because everyone who has sold ANYTHING to the public knows this.

Sorry for quoting myself, but need to be clear that I was not referring to "people suck" as the 'seller'....the 'general public' is what was inferred.

The Goose's Disclaimer:
• First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not piss me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.
Way too much coffee.

CLMN

Someone please call the Whaaambulance. The seller can do whatever they damn well please (within the rules) if you don't like their extra terms, then you are free to NOT buy from them.

It continually evades me why it is so hard for someone to just close an ad they don't like and move on.

This is no different than the constant battles we have with the "price whining illegal bump a**h*** crew" in the classifieds. (Jack Rebney voice = on) " If you don't like the price, then don't buy the f**kin thing!" (Jack Rebney voice = off).

Sorry, I just had to vent.

You bitch about MGL 140 and all the rules designed to 'make you smarter' as a firearm owner.
Then you bitch that the average gun owner needs more rules....'Goose' rules are not going to make the buyer any smarter. Lets call it 'NES GL 101-goose'

Rules imposed by the government are not even the same ballgame as someone selling a gun that they own on their terms. This is a poor strawman argument, you might want to drop it. The biggest difference is we can't opt out of the state's bullshit, we can always opt out of dealing with a private business/individual. The difference is pretty huge. If I break a gun law and get caught doing it, I go to jail. If I don't buy someone's gun, well, nothing happens. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Someone please call the Whaaambulance. The seller can do whatever they damn well please (within the rules) if you don't like their extra terms, then you are free to NOT buy from them.

It continually evades me why it is so hard for someone to just close an ad they don't like and move on.

This is no different than the constant battles we have with the "price whining illegal bump a**h*** crew" in the classifieds. (Jack Rebney voice = on) " If you don't like the price, then don't buy the f**kin thing!" (Jack Rebney voice = off).

Sorry, I just had to vent.

-Mike

+1. The seller as just as much right to place rules on his/her sale as the buyer has to ignore the offer.

well, that goes for the sellers too. There are just as many people d-ing around selling as buying. Let me list some of the hijinks:

1. Being clueless. Having no idea what the f they are selling, as in (not deliberately but sometimes deliberately) misrepresenting the item, so you get there and see that it's the cheaper model, not what the seller was claiming it was
2. Fishing (reverse of tire kicking). I'm in no rush to sell this if ever, I'll just post it at some ridiculous price and when a reasonable offer comes in I'll d around to see how far I can drive up the price at my leisure.
3. Breaking a deal. Making a deal, then backing out because someone else jumps in at a higher price, at the last moment.
4. Lies. "Oh I never shot it, ever" "Works great, I just shot at the range last week"
5. That will buff out. Yep, the gun is ok, but it's missing a screw which is totally ok, because "you can get one in any gun shop for a penny."

Just because people are sellers, dosn't mean they are not d-heads.

Try selling something? I guess I wasn't clear. It's obvious lots of people here do not deal with the public in financial transactions.

Give the gun away....NOT BS, you see - you purchased something and took the risk. You want to make up for a decision 'that has changed', so you sell. You then risk dealing with the general public to make some money back. Simple really.

You do realize the general public are a bunch of complete mental midgets, right? You do see the way the general public votes in the land of moonbats, right?

I guess I am starting to get confused?????

If a seller has had such a large amount of 'bad' luck that raises suspicion of the seller, because everyone who has sold ANYTHING to the public knows this.

The thing I see here is, a bunch of people with really high itrader ratings saying "the goose rules are awesome" and a guy with 0 feedback saying they shouldn't exist... I'm guessing once you do about 3 private transactions, you'll change your tune.

While this is true, based on the things I've seen, the ratio around here at least, is pretty lopsided against the buyers being more likely to be bad. I've been lucky so far, I've never really had any "bad" buyers, only a couple of suspicious inquiries. (and a few "will you take my 35 gallon fishtank and a .40 cal sigma in trade" type offers, but those don't really count as bad buyers, just someone who wants to try to trade you turds for gold bars. )

FWIW, an astute buyer can ferret out most of that stuff you mentioned by reading the ad and asking the seller a few questions. If it still "feels wrong" it probably is.

-Mike

Last edited:
well, that goes for the sellers too. There are just as many people d-ing around selling as buying. Let me list some of the hijinks:

1. Being clueless. Having no idea what the f they are selling, as in (not deliberately but sometimes deliberately) misrepresenting the item, so you get there and see that it's the cheaper model, not what the seller was claiming it was
2. Fishing (reverse of tire kicking). I'm in no rush to sell this if ever, I'll just post it at some ridiculous price and when a reasonable offer comes in I'll d around to see how far I can drive up the price at my leisure.
3. Breaking a deal. Making a deal, then backing out because someone else jumps in at a higher price, at the last moment.
4. Lies. "Oh I never shot it, ever" "Works great, I just shot at the range last week"
5. That will buff out. Yep, the gun is ok, but it's missing a screw which is totally ok, because "you can get one in any gun shop for a penny."

This!!! Especially Number 3.!!!

CLMN

What, specifically, do you take issue to or disagree with?

I love it when people ask for pics on every damn classified posts just because they want to look at a gun that they have no intentsion of ever buying.
I saw an ad posted for a glock 17. The first reply was a request for pics. The guy said, " Close your eyes and picture a glock 19 only bigger."
I laughed my ass off!

Suggestion for the mods- Perhaps the "Goose rules" could be a sticky in the for sale sub sections so they could be referenced in the future?

Maybe just add it to the TOS when you sign up for the site?
That and the strange "Statement of Legal compliance:" , after all, without it I'd break the laws.

And my favorite, 22 sticky's the sift though at the top of the group.

Step back, take a breath, realize things are not perfect, and no amount of verbage will fix that.

Asking someone not to be stupid is where we are.... I guess I missed the memo.

(BTW, it is not NES [a private entity] I hold fault with on the legal compliance BS, but the 'fear' we have to live with in moonbat land)

I'm prejudiced against sellers because I mostly buy. So that's just my perspective. That said, I like his rules and I'll probably use most of them myself.

• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people.

If I wanted to "make friends and influence" sellers, I'd run for public office. If the guy is genuinely clueless that the commodity item goes for 50% less, I'm actually doing the him a favor, because he may wander why he can't sell damn thing. Don't like my offer, don't reply to it. No need to get your panties in a bunch, I won't be offended by rejection.

I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend.

why should I care??? Am I back in USSR, do I look like a charity? I don't care if you are loosing money. Don't like my offer, don't reply to it. I am not trying to insult anyone with lowball offers just for kicks, but your profit margin and your financials are not of my concern.

I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!

<cue in violin> TF is that you YOURSELF agreed to let the guy to try it out. I come to sale with an FA10 and cash in hand, not a box of ammo that I want to put through the gun, before sale. If you agree to that, you got only yourself to blame.

I'm sure that Goose is a relly nice guy and I'd certainly buy him a beer just from reading comments about him. Nothing wrong with being a nice guy, being friendly, but don't mix business with feelings.

Buying/ selling is business, nothing personal or emotional. Can't handle this yourself, any dealer is happy to do it for you at your expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom