• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Goose Hunting

Any tips on the smallest decoy spread I could get away with for goose hunting this season? I really don't want to go over board with buy a ton of decoys if I don't have to.

12 shadows or a few large body decoys - use the standard formulas for spreads. No call needed.

If you have a call - take a brick and smash it - you're only gonna scare birds away.

Get a simple call and learn the most simple calls in the off season - when you learn to stop scaring birds, feel free to call during the season. That's when you start learning...

12 shadows or a few large body decoys - use the standard formulas for spreads. No call needed.

If you have a call - take a brick and smash it - you're only gonna scare birds away.

Get a simple call and learn the most simple calls in the off season - when you learn to stop scaring birds, feel free to call during the season. That's when you start learning...

He wont be able to practice if he smashes the one he may have. Although sound advice. I cant tell you how many times last year we had new goose hunters who tried calling. As soon as they let out this sickening wail, the geese said "wtf lets get out of here!". Dont call, until you can call. A simple honk is easy to learn once you get the raspiness down and the breath control. But honestly, if youre hunting local birds, just scout them and pattern them. figure out where THEY want to go. Geese are finicky creatures and you cant make them go where they dont already intend to go. You can encourage them, you can peak their interest if they circle, but you cant make them change their mind once its made up. Also, a goose flag. A good investment. Start using it when you hear them, not when you see them. You'd be surprised how much it helps.

I think the size of the spread is dependant on a few things: one being the size of the field, water body you're in. You dont want to clutter it, but you want at least a few to get their attention and let them know its safe. If I was limited to 8-12 deeks. It would be at least 6-8 feeders, and rest of them sleepers. Let them know there is food (feeders job), and that the area has been deemed safe (sleepers job)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom