• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOOSE HUMMOCK - worst gun shop on cape cod

So another stupid chapter has been written in the saga of trying to get a simple transfer done on an AK @ Goose Hummock in Orleans, MA.

First, Goose Hummock refused to transfer a custom built Mass-Compliant AK that I had shipped to them; claiming that it was "non mass compliant".
(See: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...195026-not-mass-legal-compliant-built-ak.html)

Then they dragged their feet for about two weeks before they sent it back. I checked with them at least 3 times and got all sorts of different answers as to why they had not shipped it back yet (didn't have the right box, wasn't the right day, etc.)

So at this point I think it's gonna be smooth from here on out - just get it sent to a different FFL for the transfer. But yesterday I get a call from the gunsmith, and while the AK did show up, it showed up WITHOUT the 30-rd 5.45 AK mag but WITH TWO 10-round 7.62 AR-15 MAGS.
And now, when I called Goose Hummock to check what the hell happened, they're claiming that the 7.62 AR mags showed up with the rifle and that they also sent the 30-rd 5.45 mag that somehow didn't make it back to the gunsmith.

So now I still don't have my AK, and when it show's up I'll apparently have two 10-rd 7.62 AR mags and no 5.45 AK mags. Make's sense, right? How hard is it really to keep track of a gun and the accessories you receive, really?

Avoid Goose Hummock at all costs, these people apparently don't know jack about guns, gun laws or even simply running a business. It used to be my go-to place for ammo, targets, accessories, etc, but this was the first time using them for a firearm and they completely screwed the pooch on it.

I started a new thread because I'm pissed. Feel free to merge it, mods, but I think the ridiculousness of the situation warrants a nice new thread.

ps. if anybody is in the market for some 10-rd 7.62 AR mags I'll probably be selling some soon. [laugh]

Sandy has somewhat of a monopoly on the lower cape. Seemed like a nice enough guy, but his pricing is downright arse-rape. He was getting $19.95/box of 9mm back when the Powderhorn was getting $12. I hope Rego gets himself set up right down cape so people have more choices.

They suck. I don't even know why I stop in there when I am in the area...

Actually I do... It is amuse myself at looking at the prices of the firearms. I start out laughing as I see them, then the laughter turns to sad and angry feelings that they actually are selling guns for their ridiculous prices..

The shitty part of all this is that you didn't even have to have it sent to an FFL to begin with. You could have had your gunsmith ship it directly back to you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Only thing good about goose hummock is they have cheap ass auctions on shitty guns on GB. I got a Rohm .22 revolver for 20 bucks- just to beat on.

The shitty part of all this is that you didn't even have to have it sent to an FFL to begin with. You could have had your gunsmith ship it directly back to you.

Yeah, that's my understanding of the law and was my intention when I sent the parts off, but according to the gunsmith's ATF field agent, the build constituted 'manufacture of a firearm'. And while I'm pretty sure his ATF agent was/is wrong, I figured it's the smiths' prerogative to listen to his ATF contact since it's his 07 FFL on the line. And he finished the build in like a week after receiving it when all the other AK builders quoted me at least a 2-3 month wait, so I wasn't too bothered.

The Chuck......I'm sorry to hear of your bad dealings with Goose Hummock and while I haven't bought any guns from Sandy in the past two years, I must say that prior to that I bought several lever guns and had several transferred there. While his transfer price is a bit steep, I have had good experiences and good prices. But that was a couple years ago and maybe he and they have gotten caught up in the frenzy. In any case, I can understand your anger. I reload my own so ammo prices are non facto with me.

We just stumbled upon this thread and were shocked at the discontent expressed regarding the AK dealings. We thought that we had communicated clearly and honestly with our customer about our concerns with the gun not only for our FFL but, for his LTC involving the transfer of the AK. We understand the frustration wrapped up in interpretation on the MA gun laws. It is our goal to facilitate the purchase and transfer of firearms for customers in a fluid and convenient manner that is consistent with MA gun laws. Please accept our apologies for any miscommunication or discontent.

Yeah, that's my understanding of the law and was my intention when I sent the parts off, but according to the gunsmith's ATF field agent, the build constituted 'manufacture of a firearm'. And while I'm pretty sure his ATF agent was/is wrong, I figured it's the smiths' prerogative to listen to his ATF contact since it's his 07 FFL on the line. And he finished the build in like a week after receiving it when all the other AK builders quoted me at least a 2-3 month wait, so I wasn't too bothered.

I just found this and can absolutely tell you that the field agent was wrong. I've confirmed this with my field agent. (I'm an 07 FFL).

If I build a gun on my own dime out of a box of parts, it is manufacturing.

If you send me the same box of parts for me to assemble, and one of the parts is a complete, serialized receiver, then I am gunsmithing.

If you send me the same box of parts without a receiver, I am manufacturing.

The ATF makes a distinction between doing something on a speculative basis and doing something on a "bespoke" basis.

Read the second paragraph of the second page of this link for more clarity.
http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-1.pdf

Don

If you send me the same box of parts for me to assemble, and one of the parts is a complete, serialized receiver, then I am gunsmithing.

Of course, because you can't manufacture the same firearm twice. If there's a complete, serialized receiver, the firearm has already been manufactured, even if it hasn't been turned into a functional gun.

Of course, because you can't manufacture the same firearm twice. If there's a complete, serialized receiver, the firearm has already been manufactured, even if it hasn't been turned into a functional gun.

No thats wrong. You are thinking logically. Thats your mistake.

If I take an existing receiver (a firearm) and a box of parts and build it up into a complete gun with the intent to sell it, I AM manufacturing. I am not listed on the paperwork as the firearms manufacturer. But I will have to make an entry into my manufacturing A&D book and pay a 10% excise tax.

If I do the exact same thing for a customer who brings me exactly the same receiver and parts, I am gunsmithing. Read my link above.

Don

Last edited:
No, I got it, Don: you would be manufacturing in one case because of the license you hold. I never expected any consistency to ATF regulations.

For instance, everyone knows that an "antique" is a non-firearm according to federal law. You can sell them interstate without a license, send them through the mail, etc. Plus, an "antique is always an antique, because it the date of manufacture determines its status, forever."

But, we had one enterprising individual in my cruffling circles. He was buying pre-'99 Mausers, either rifles, junkers, or sometimes just bare receivers. He then "gunsmithed" them by repairing them to working condition, adding or changing parts, etc., then reselling them.

The ATF came down on him and warned him that he was engaged in the manufacture of firearms without the appropriate license. When he pointed out that they were legally antiques, and that it was perfectly legal for anyone owning one of these rifles to do exactly what he was doing, they said, "Yes. But you're manufacturing without a license."

So, he quit.

Stoopy ATF.

Back
Top Bottom