Google fined $5bn by EU anti-trust regulators

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What's Behind Googles Enormous $5 Billion Fine from the EU

Wednesday the European Commission levied a record breaking $5 billion (€4.34 billion) fine against Google for breaking antitrust regulations. The fine blames Google for compelling phone manufacturers who use the Android operating system—which is free for use with no fee—to bundle in Google's suite of apps like Google Chrome if they want to include the Google Play store, giving users access to Android's largest official store.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That is all they did? Just don't use the apps, and include your own along with googles apps. I clicked on this expecting it to involve the many things people typically hate Google for. I'm disappointed

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
European Commission regulators are scummy, corrupt pirates that extort billions from companies with practices they question. Apparently the law is irrelevant, or at least fuzzy enough for them to bilk companies of their hard earned cash. Perhaps Google can be guilty of bundling, but a $5B fine is insane by any other measure within reality. I can't comment further but I have direct knowledge of these shady EC practices.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Android is being given away for free. Nobody is forced to take it. And It's not like Windows either, it is open source. Anyone can take the code base and fork it. This is just the Europeans shaking down the guy with the biggest wallet, nothing more. Google bought Android and put a lot of effort into developing it. But it's just a copy of iOS functionality. If they can copy Apple, anyone else can too, especially because they can start with a copy of working freaking SOURCE CODE IS WHICH IS FREE AND UNENCUMBERED.

Top Bottom