"Goods For Guns" (buyback) in Worcester

Ive seen that suggested before. The question is, other than the obvious harassment that the FFL would get from the police doing the buyback what would stop them from setting up a table and offering to "appraise" firearms. Giving those people an idea of how much the FFL would buy them for, at their storefront, on monday?

Ive seen that suggested before. The question is, other than the obvious harassment that the FFL would get from the police doing the buyback what would stop them from setting up a table and offering to "appraise" firearms. Giving those people an idea of how much the FFL would buy them for, at their storefront, on monday?

I'm not sure how the licensing structure is for FFL's in MA, but if it's anything like the discretionary BS for an LTC, I would have to assume said FFL would not be doing business any more when it was time to renew the license.

-edit- Which is pretty sad, because that would be a great business plan.

I have seen these before and they make me crazy. The buy-back is a good idea. But then take the firearms and sell them to a FFL. This would continue to fund the program, and put frearms in the hands of licensed individuals.

Citizens of Worcester may have old, unused or unwanted firearms in their residence that they would like to have removed by a trained professional.
They make it sound like asbestos removal.

I don't know about the legalities on an FFL buying from a non-licensee, but there are some potential legal issues involved with handing a handgun back to someone who you know does not have an LTC.

I have seen these before and they make me crazy. The buy-back is a good idea. But then take the firearms and sell them to a FFL. This would continue to fund the program, and put frearms in the hands of licensed individuals.

But...but...then they'll go right back into the hands of criminals*!!!

*For purposes of this discussion, all licensed and legal firearm owners are criminals. We just haven't gotten that on the rulebooks yet.

"Goods For Guns" (buyback) in Worcester

Saw this on a flyer at the local library.

Not much else out there on this, but I looked around, and found references here:
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2008/12/04/Goods-for-Guns-takes/1228436793.html

and here:
http://www.injuryfree.org/site_display.cfm?PermanentId=5CBB1686-14E5-4104-8EB75CE2C9D1E571

and on the WPD site, here:
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/police/special-projects

(they even offer to take guns from your house for free!)
Anyone who even THINKS about letting LEOs into their home without a warrant needs to get "Scrived" until they learn their lesson.

It looks like they are offering ~$53 tops for a gun.

Lets get an FFL involved, and offer $65!

When the police are behind it, they choose not to enforce the law when someone is turning in a gun. If you sat there trying to buy the guns on the way in, they could bust any unlicensed individual that came to you.

When the police are behind it, they choose not to enforce the law when someone is turning in a gun. If you sat there trying to buy the guns on the way in, they could bust any unlicensed individual that came to you.

That sucks. Would be great to circumvent the buy back, by setting up a table outside it actually buying the guns...Better yet, making a citizens arrest on the PD for operating a gun shop without a license...[laugh]

I would love to see someone (properly licensed, of course) walk down there with their SERIOUSLY tricked-out AR or AK (I'm talkin' the hardware cost more than the actual rifle, super-mall-ninja style) to get appraised, just so they can laugh at the $53 pittance offered. [smile]

The PC shit comes into it sooner or later.I once ran a free ad in the Acton coucil on aging newsletter offering to pick up any unwanted guns free of charge. Actually ended up with some. Next issue, they pulled it. Old farts. Then I wanted to, and finally did, get a similar ad into the local paper after the editor "checked me out" with the Acton PD. In both cases the excuse was that they could somehow get into trouble. Jack.

They should be required to provide a person with the fair market value of the firearm before they allow them to turn any in and require whoever is running the goods for guns to pay a fair market value. Some people would be surprised to find out what their guns are worth...expecially the old war relics and antiques. Rare and collectible guns and war bring backs should not be accepted at those buybacks. Imagine getting $25 for a hundred year old colt single action? Its theivery!

UMass Memorial Healthcare is one of the sponsors of the buyback thing. I suggest writing to the president and ceo to voice your disgust of this program.

Grab your Blue Book of Modern Gun values and offer to appraise any guns going in the door so people know what they have.

On the other hand if you have any paperweights laying around that will never shoot again its a chance to drain some funds from the program.

The buy-back is a horrible idea. Where do you think the money comes from to buy them?

The buy-back is a horrible idea. Where do you think the money comes from to buy them?

Buybacks are part of conditioning the public mindset. If guns are so dangerous that paying people to get rid of them is a wise expenditure of government funds, one does not need to be a genius to determine what the next logical step is.

Goods for Guns comes close to last year's total in first day

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Goods for Guns comes close to last year's total in first day

By Garv V. Murray TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Add a comment

WORCESTER — Organizers of the Goods for Guns program said they took in 122 unwanted firearms and gave out about $5,800 worth of Walmart gift certificates during yesterday's initial phase of the annual two-day event.

The program allows people to anonymously exchange working, unloaded firearms for gift certificates and has collected and destroyed 1,620 guns since 2002.

Dr. Michael P. Hirsh, director of the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of Worcester and chief of the Division of Pediatric Surgery & Trauma at UMass Memorial Medical Center, said 36 pistols and revolvers, 37 semiautomatic weapons and 49 long guns were turned in at the Worcester Police Department at Lincoln Square yesterday in exchange for gift certificates.

Calling it “a very successful day,” Dr. Hirsh noted that a total of 127 weapons were turned in during both days of last year's buyback.

The second phase of this year's buyback will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at police headquarters.

Guns must be unloaded and wrapped in a bag.

Gift certificates of $75 will be given out for semiautomatic weapons; handguns will garner a $50 gift certificate; and $25 certificates will be exchanged for long guns.

Add a comment

Doctor thrilled over firearms collected
Goods For Guns gets 241 guns off street

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Doctor thrilled over firearms collected
Goods For Guns gets 241 guns off street

Picture
Detective Joe Tanona, left, and Sgt. Gary Quitadamo examine a rifle brought in during the second phase of the Goods For Guns program at Worcester Police headquarters yesterday. (T&G Staff/RICK CINCLAIR)

By Thomas Caywood TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
Add a comment

WORCESTER — Dr. Michael Hirsh and his trauma surgeon colleagues at UMass Memorial Medical Center know all too well the damage inflicted on flesh by guns in street shootings and accidents at home.

That’s why Dr. Hirsh said he was so thrilled that 241 firearms collected yesterday and the previous Saturday in exchange for retail gift cards are now off the street and out of drawers and, instead, locked up in the police station until they can be crushed at a local metal shop.

Dr. Hirsh, chief of UMass Memorial’s Division of Pediatric Surgery and Trauma, said he was especially pleased by the quality of the firearms swept up in the eighth annual Goods For Guns Program, in cooperation with city police and the Worcester District Attorney’s office.

Of the 241 firearms collected in the police station lobby over the last two Saturdays, 169 were handguns, including 76 semiautomatic pistols.

“Those are the weapons of interpersonal destruction. When fights break out, these are the weapons people have hidden in their pockets or palmed in their hands,” Dr. Hirsh said.

Sometimes such weapons are just as dangerous forgotten in a cabinet or dresser in the home of a law-abiding resident, he said.

“When little kids encounter them in a drawer, they think they’re toys, and that’s how the accidental shootings occur,” he said.

Dr. Hirsh said one woman who decided to bring in her late husband’s pistol yesterday, which had been stored in a bedside table, told her grandson what she was doing. The young man led her to a drawer in another part of the house.

“There was another gun that he knew about, but grandma didn’t. Those are the kinds of the weapons that we are so grateful to get,” Dr. Hirsh said.

The previous Saturday, a woman whose late husband was a Vietnam veteran brought in a loaded AK-47 assault rifle that had been stored in a closet — with 30 clips of ammunition and a bayonet affixed.

“I have no doubt that all of these weapons are deadly. The police screen all of them. If they’re not operable, or if they’re junk, they won’t redeem them for a gift card,” he said.

Those dropping off firearms were given gift cards to Walmart. Rifles were redeemed for $25, revolvers for $50 and semiautomatic pistols for $75.

The number of guns collected this year was consistent with earlier years of the program, but up from the 127 firearms collected last year. Dr. Hirsh attributed the dip in collections last year to the ice storm that happened around the same time and a change of location that year from the police station lobby to the city Department of Public Health building.

Add a comment

Gun theft by Worcester PD.

Quote "The previous Saturday, a woman whose late husband was a Vietnam veteran brought in a loaded AK-47 assault rifle that had been stored in a closet — with 30 clips of ammunition and a bayonet affixed."

So they took a rifle worth at LEAST $800 and gave the woman $25. [shocked]

They probably patted her on the head and told her what a good sheep she was.
Anyone want to lay odds on THAT piece actually going to the crusher? [sad]

Un freakin believable. Thanks morons!

I had planned to sell a J-22 to the cops since they were offering MORE for it than I paid new, and cash in the gift card to buy ammo. (evil grin)

Oh well, next year.

Back
Top Bottom