• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Goodbye Trapping in Mass

it that it wasn’t almost impossible anyway tontrap in Mass now with Bill 2646 is signed into law from August. Spills was able to sneak this into the animal cruelty act with support from her friends at HSUS and really did an end around on trappers. No public hearings were held on this. I only hope a beaver builds a big ass damn next to her property or on a property of the other supporters and floods the crap out of them

Bill S.2646

"A person authorized under this chapter to take and possess birds, reptiles, amphibians or mammals shall not put an animal to death by the use of drowning. Any such person who intentionally or knowingly puts an animal to death by the use of drowning shall, for a first offense, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 7 years or in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2½ years, by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by both such fine and imprisonment and, for a second or subsequent offense, by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 10 years, by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by both such fine and imprisonment.

This section shall not take effect until the department of Fish and Game, in consultation with the Environmental Police; the division of Animal Health; and the department of Agricultural Resources, file a report with the clerks of the senate and house of representatives, the house and senate chairs of the joint committee on municipalities and regional government, and the house and senate committees on ways and means, identifying best practices related to trapping and pest control, to include alternatives to drowning. Such report shall be filed on or before June 1, 2019. Provided that if said report is not filed on or before June 1, 2019, the above paragraph shall take effect on June 1, 2019."

They will never learn because they don't live where the beaver are and don't visit those places either. 15 years ago I went to Katahdin and Baxter park and they have these types of hands off policies and the beaver are destroying the place. But the natural predators of the beaver are no where to be found and will not be coming back. Alas, there are places in there that look like destruction zones.

Bill S.2646

"A person authorized under this chapter to take and possess birds, reptiles, amphibians or mammals shall not put an animal to death by the use of drowning. Any such person who intentionally or knowingly puts an animal to death by the use of drowning shall, for a first offense, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 7 years or in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2½ years, by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by both such fine and imprisonment and, for a second or subsequent offense, by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 10 years, by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by both such fine and imprisonment.

This section shall not take effect until the department of Fish and Game, in consultation with the Environmental Police; the division of Animal Health; and the department of Agricultural Resources, file a report with the clerks of the senate and house of representatives, the house and senate chairs of the joint committee on municipalities and regional government, and the house and senate committees on ways and means, identifying best practices related to trapping and pest control, to include alternatives to drowning. Such report shall be filed on or before June 1, 2019. Provided that if said report is not filed on or before June 1, 2019, the above paragraph shall take effect on June 1, 2019."

And it applies to if you are trying to control squirrels or similar in your yard and you choose to dispatch them

Up to 7 years in the state pen for using a chipmunk dunk bucket to eradicate the pests- one of the most common and effective means for getting rid of these destructive little buggers.

What a f-ed up state this is. I need to figure out how I can become an undocumented immigrant (illegal alien in real terms) so that I can have immunity from such laws.

I guess those crossbow pistols will do the trick through the side and bleed out slowly. Or how about hooking up an electrical current through the whole trap to fry em to death? I swear just when you think these people can't out-idiot each other, someone yells "Hold my beer!"

ETA: MAP gas torch could work too then.

Last edited:
I admit to not reading so closely but the portion quoted above ties back to persons authorized to take and transport animals for euthanisia purposes. It doesn’t seem to apply on its face to the 5 gallon backyard swimming pools.

that’s specifically outlawed

Really? Car exhaust extinction of pests is illegal in Mass? It's actually a pretty humane way to do it. I have cousins in another northern state who own and operate a large commercial scale blueberry farm. They employ a number of methods to discourage loss to birds but also have multiple live trap houses. The pest birds / invasive species like starlings are separated from any native species to release, then the pests are euthanized via exhaust. Very humane- they go to sleep and that's all folks.

I

I admit to not reading so closely but the portion quoted above ties back to persons authorized to take and transport animals for euthanisia purposes. It doesn’t seem to apply on its face to the 5 gallon backyard swimming pools.

Would not the trapping homeowner be authorized to 'take'?

Really? Car exhaust extinction of pests is illegal in Mass? It's actually a pretty humane way to do it. I have cousins in another northern state who own and operate a large commercial scale blueberry farm. They employ a number of methods to discourage loss to birds but also have multiple live trap houses. The pest birds / invasive species like starlings are separated from any native species to release, then the pests are euthanized via exhaust. Very humane- they go to sleep and that's all folks.

I

It’s also my choice as it’s quick and painless. Mass is becoming a sewer of political correctness gone wild by the day

Seven to ten in the state prison for drowning a couple of fur bearers? There's people who commit violent robbery and murder that don't get that.

The MA legislature is out of their mind!!

This law will effectively end any type of practical beaver management and damage control. The only legal alternative will be live traps, set above water. They are far less effective than the soon to be outlawed body grippers and far more costly to use. The costs to cities and towns for beaver damage control will skyrocket as a result of this.

In the real world that the rest of us live in, people will continue to use poisons, fire, explosives and indiscriminate, year round shooting to deal with an animal that has been legislated into vermin. To a wildlife biologist, beavers are considered to be a "keystone" species, to the rest of us they will be considered to be nothing more than expensive pests.

How this was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor is exactly why I consider 95% of politicians to be the scum of the earth.

The Commissioner of Fish and Game in Massachusetts is nothing more than a "High Paid" Office Manager. If you don't believe me take a look at the law and see what that Office really has say over.

Folks, You really ought to read the entire law (without getting self righteous and emotional) Look at who can be empowered to enforce this law. That in itself is the part that you should be really concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom