• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Goodbye my friend

So sorry for your loss of a devoted, loving companion. We lost our rescue Border Collie a few years ago, her ashes stay with us.
In my avatar is our rescue Australian who is loved like one of our children. She's part of every moment of our day, curled up at my feet while I type this, and has given back so much more love than we give her. I dread the day we have to say goodbye but she will hear me say "You're a good girl, and I love you".

Losing a close friend like that is worse than losing a human friend or loved one. The humans can at least talk to you during their illness, which helps mitigate the grief somewhat.

I know how you feel, the last year and a half we've said goodbye to three dogs. the first was 15, second was 16 and last month we said goodbye to Chloe who was almost 17.

We got another pup after losing our second as my nine year old son was having trouble dealing with the loss. Best thing we could have done, as they are now best buddies. We'll get another in a year or so, I like the chaos of a multi dog household.

I miss my old friends though.[angry]

I don't know how many cat people we have here, but that's our thing. We like dogs, we've just never been owned by one.
We've shared our lives with two rescued cats.
We lost our first boy to kidney disease years ago.
After about a year, although we still didn't feel ready, another one kind of fell into our laps, and stole our hearts.
I don't remember exactly when, but a lump on his undercarriage was diagnosed as cancer. Supposedly not aggressive nor likely to metastasize, so we had the lump surgically removed. Unfortunately, it turned out to be both aggressive, and it metastasized.
January 1st, we had to have him put down. Hardest thing I've ever done. I got to hold him on my lap through the euthanasia process.
It really is like losing a family member or dear friend.
Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Brutal...we went thru it a week before Christmas 2019. Still stings. Cancer as well.

We knew he had terminal cancer for 7 or 8 months but there was no good surgical option so we decided to just enjoy the time we had with him. One weekend, like a light switch he went from being basically asymptomatic other than a mild cough to having seizures and completely incontinent and within a week unable to even stand up. Hard as it was, it was an easy decision to put him down before it got painful.

Sorry for your loss. but you have a lifetime of memories to reflect back on and thoughts of that pup will always bring a smile to your face.

Sorry for you loss. I am pretty attached to my dogs and always fear 'that' day. Now you need a new puppy :). I lost my siberian husky a couple of years ago to cancer. He went fast, from running around to totally paralyzed. I had a vet that was ready to operate on him to remove the tumor but at the last minute he asked to do an additional set of xrays and then gave me the bad news that it was an inoperable tumor.

Back
Top Bottom