Goodbye my friend

Thanks to all of you for your messages and condolences. I know it was the right decision, but I am struggling with this little voice in the back of my head saying it was a betrayal of trust. While I know that is not true, it still weighs heavy on my conscience.

Thanks to all of you for your messages and condolences. I know it was the right decision, but I am struggling with this little voice in the back of my head saying it was a betrayal of trust. While I know that is not true, it still weighs heavy on my conscience.
It's a tough decision to make for pets because they depend on us, but you did the right thing for him and that's what counts.

You're a good egg, Noonan. I had to make the same decision about 16 months ago and I'm still broken up about it.

We all struggle with this.
KIMG0305.jpg
This is Roland - he came to us a ball of matted fur, scared of everything and needing a lot of patience.
He loved my wife like no other.
In the end, he was having seizures so bad he forgot his name and who we were.
His heart was giving out and he was scared most of the time.
I knew it was time but still questioned the decision - I still do question every time I clear the leaves under the holly tree where he rests.

Very sorry my friend. I know that pain all too well. Time will soften the pain. You will never forget.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to second guess your decision. I'm guessing that's natural, because I've had the same feeling. But, on his last day, our boy was too weak to stand up. There was no way he was going to get better.
It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. And, yes, I still feel like I somehow betrayed his trust. You hit the nail on the head with that description.
But, he would have only suffered, and he was too good for that. There was no cure or improvement to be had. I try to remind myself, it wasn't our choice to end his life, it was our responsibility to end his suffering.
I know, no words are going to ease the pain. Only time can do that. But it was really the most loving thing you could have done for your friend.

RIP. As someone who never grew up with dogs, I never understood how people could refer to their dog as family or feel such loss when they pass......now that I have my little guy, I can't imagine not being greeted by that goofball everyday.

A good dog is family. Sorry for your loss, think you made the right choice which is rarely the easy one.

Back
Top Bottom