Good Samaritan Beaten At Drive-Through

Did anyone see this story on the news this AM? This one hits close to home as I live in this town, and know exactly where it took place. I sit here trying to think what I would do in this situation, and I don't like each of my ending scenarios. What would you have done if you ran into this situation, and were carrying?

Good Samaritan Beaten At Drive-Through
3 Teens Arrested, Charged In Alleged Attack

BOSTON -- Three Metrowest teenagers were arrested after police said they seriously beat a man at a McDonald's drive-through in Milford.

Police: Teens Beat Good Samaritan

The fight broke out in the restaurant's South Main Street parking lot at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday when Dan Bucchi tried to stop a group of teens from harassing a woman in the drive-through lane.
sponsor

"The guy looks at me and he says, 'What are you looking at?' That is what he said. And I said, 'Why don't you just chill out?' And then he charges my truck, so I got out of my truck instead of just taking off," Bucchi said.

Witnesses said the teens got out of their car and beat Bucchi to the ground with their hands and feet. Police do not believe the teens used any weapons.

"One of them described in one of the statements we got, described him as being 'lifeless on the ground.' And one of them came over and still gave him some good kicks while he was laying on the ground," Detective Lt. James Falvey said.

Passers-by saw the fight and chased the teens away, possibly saving the 49-year-old man's life, police said. Witnesses gave the police a description and license plate number of the teens' car.

Alan Spear, 18, (pictured, left), and Michael Prior, 17, (pictured, right), both of Milford, were arrested Saturday night. Michael J. Boudreau, 17, (pictured, middle), of Medway, was arrested on Monday.

Bucchi suffered serious injuries to his face, eyes and torso, including a broken cheekbone and a concussion. Bucchi said he is still having dizzy spells, but hopes to return to work soon.

"Swings were coming wild. You could tell they were wild swings. They were coming from all angles and not like they were aiming. I can't believe they didn't hit any part of my mouth or nose or my other eye. It was mainly on top of my head. My ribs hurt -- they hit me in the ribs, the shoulder," Bucchi said.

Bucchi was recovering at the Milford Regional Medical Center.

"He is lucky he wasn't killed. (We) can't be mind-readers and clairvoyant, but we don't know how long the attack would have occurred if it wasn't for the woman who told them to knock it off and threatened to call the police, and did in fact call the police," Falvey said.

McDonald's released a statement that said they do have a police presence at the restaurant late at night and the safety of customers and employees is a top priority.

"We have been working closely with the Milford Police Department and are continuing the policy we began earlier this year of having periodic police presence during late night hours at the restaurant. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the good Samaritan who was injured while coming to the aid of another person," McDonald's Boston Region Operations Manager Art Rico said in a statement.

The teens were charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, mayhem and malicious destruction of property. Spear and Prior, who both have lengthy criminal records, were ordered held without bail at an arraignment on Monday. Boudreau, who does not have a previous record, posted $1,500 bail after his arrest. He will be arraigned on Thursday.

"I should have just called 911 instead of just trying to be a hero," Bucchi said.

Edit: Updated with link http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15629595/detail.html

Last edited:
If she's in line she could drive away from them herself.

I would not have gotten out of the truck. Three on one can become out of your control very quickly. In the interest of avoiding a bad situation I would have probably stayed in the truck and called the cops and reported the harassment. If they actually started to threaten or physically assault the woman that's different.

If she's in line she could drive away from them herself.

I would not have gotten out of the truck. Three on one can become out of your control very quickly. In the interest of avoiding a bad situation I would have probably stayed in the truck and called the cops and reported the harassment. If they actually started to threaten or physically assault the woman that's different.

I concur. If they're not PHYSICALLY assulting her, then call the law. She could drive away, as could you.

If they were beating the woman, then I would have (most likely) leaned ont he horn for attn, called 911, then drew on them if they hadn't stopped. All this while getting their plate number.

Thanks

15631411_240X180.jpg

I would have bundled all three of them. [devil2]

I guess I'm old fashioned and maybe that's bad? With modern technology, I would have certainly called 911, but I also would have certainly exited my vehicle and defended this woman's honor. Sounds archaic I know, so flame away - but I would not have given these punks the opportunity to bring me to the ground without taking one or all of them with me. Maybe I belong in another time, but we seem to be becoming a bunch of panzies...I for one, think Dan Bucci should be applauded, but it's clear he took the wrong approach to the right idea...

I might have laughed at them and told them they're gonna need more people. Smart thing to do, most likely not, that's okay though I can deal with that. [grin]

Last edited:
I wouldn't have been able to just sit there and let them harass her either. I applaud him for getting out of his vehicle and sticking up for the women. I only hope she appreciated it. If more people were like him this would never happen because these punks would be more afraid of the public then the public is of them.

I guess I'm old fashioned and maybe that's bad? With modern technology, I would have certainly called 911, but I also would have certainly exited my vehicle and defended this woman's honor. Sounds archaic I know, so flame away - but I would not have given these punks the opportunity to bring me to the ground without taking one or all of them with me. Maybe I belong in another time, but we seem to be becoming a bunch of panzies...I for one, think Dan Bucci should be applauded, but it's clear he took the wrong approach to the right idea...

Abso-freaking-lutely

Big +1

Regardless of what time it was, what's to say one of the pricks wasn't standing in front of her car preventing her from leaving?

Well, we all know what opinions are like, so here’s mine. [wink]

While I applaud the idea of “defending someone’s honor”, One must be very careful how it is done…. Especially in this state. My understanding of MGL (I’m no lawyer so correct me if I’m wrong) is that an individual can use force that is proportional to the level of the threat. So, I guess producing and using a firearm if you’re not in fear of your life is out of the question. My hunch is that even use of pepper spray would be judged as excessive until an act could be judged as battery on the woman in question or the good Samaritan.

I’m not even going to get into the ridiculousness of “the duty to retreat” or what the Chief of Police in Boston would have you do in this situation (i.e. sit back and watch someone get harassed, beaten and killed while you chat on the phone with a 911 operator).

What would I have done? Well talk is cheap, but here’s what I would like to picture myself doing. Call the cops. I definitely wouldn’t have exited my vehicle. By doing so it removes a level of protection and a method of retreat if things get way to out of control (it is 3 to 1 after all). I definitely would have kept my weapon in easy reach and my pepper in my hand. Distracting the suspects from their current victim would be key. Either yelling or honking the horn but definitely letting them know that the PD has been notified. If the thugs are on me and there’s no way out, escalating defense as necessary.

It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback huh? [smile]

To bad it isn’t someplace like Texas. You could probably draw down on them and be applauded as a hero. Here, it’s more likely that you would be arrested for brandishing your weapon and assault on the 3 guys (I mean scum bags).

Feel free to peck away at my response. My ego doesn't bruise easily, and we all know what opinions are like. [wink]

The article says 1:30 am.

My father would have kicked my butt if I wasn't home.

Jesus - +1's all around, because that leads me to my next thought: "Where the hell are the parents in this?" You know, I'm all about personal freedom and God knows we have enough laws on the books, but I think the societal break-down we've had in the last few decades may be calling for just one more law: The Fostering A Juvenile Delinquent Law Let's start holding parents responsible for their obvious lack of parenting....Draconian?

Regardless of what time it was, what's to say one of the pricks wasn't standing in front of her car preventing her from leaving?

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just pointing out an error.

I don't care if she was the only vehicle in the city with a clear path to escape. I'm sick and tired of being told I have to alter my actions because of someone else's bad, and illegal, behavior. I don't care what actions someone took against those punks. Period.

Beat them. Run them down.

I may have posted this before. If I were king, I'd institute "sandbox justice." It's all based on the childhood playground theory.

When you're a kid, your mom takes you to the playground and puts you in the sandbox with the other kids. If you act the brat and steal a toy, your mom walks over, scolds you, then gives the toy back to the rightful owner. If you act the brat again and throw sand at a kid, mom comes over, scolds you, smacks your behind and tells you to behave. If you act the brat a third time, your mom stomps over and yanks you out of the sandbox, taking away your playing privs.

Such is life. If you can't play well with others in this sandbox, you don't deserve to be here.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just pointing out an error.

I don't care if she was the only vehicle in the city with a clear path to escape. I'm sick and tired of being told I have to alter my actions because of someone else's bad, and illegal, behavior. I don't care what actions someone took against those punks. Period.

Beat them. Run them down.

I may have posted this before. If I were king, I'd institute "sandbox justice." It's all based on the childhood playground theory.

When you're a kid, your mom takes you to the playground and puts you in the sandbox with the other kids. If you act the brat and steal a toy, your mom walks over, scolds you, then gives the toy back to the rightful owner. If you act the brat again and throw sand at a kid, mom comes over, scolds you, smacks your behind and tells you to behave. If you act the brat a third time, your mom stomps over and yanks you out of the sandbox, taking away your playing privs.

Such is life. If you can't play well with others in this sandbox, you don't deserve to be here.

+1 Why do we need to cower and sit back and let the criminals do whatever they want to do. I have "come to the aid of another" in a convienient store and a parking lot in the course of my life. I was also taken to court for A&B, but i was defending my friend from an out of control drunk and the judge was obviously level headed, because it was dismissed as "protection of another".

bottom line: i would do it again and again. Criminals are already breaking the law once us reasonable citizens need to get involved. If someone needs help it is the RIGHT thing to do to help them.

What if it was your sister or mother, wife, daughter, etc that was in that car being approched by three boys, YOU WOULD WANT SOMEONE TO HELP THEM.

EVEN IF IT DOESN'T FIT IN MY SCHEDULE OR WHATEVER, i couldn't sleep at night if i left someone to deal with that type of situation, if there was ANYTHING i could do.

Sure, but you would have beaten all three of them down by yourself, unlike this guy who lost.

Just because you are the good guy doesn't mean you are going to win.

+1

And don't get me wrong, im not saying that those that oppose this action are wrong... but I'm not one to stand idly by. And if I'm going down... I'm sure as hell going to ensure that at least one of those punks comes out of it worse then me.

Back
Top Bottom